• TropicalVibe
    Warrior
    • Mar 2015

CFE, AMAX 123gr Ladder Test

Attached Files
  • 204 AR
    Warrior
    • Sep 2015

I'm curious what barrel you have. I'm at 31 gr CFE out of my 18" BHW and no where near 2500 fps with no pressure signs. I'm also using Hdy brass which could account for some difference.

Comment

• Klem
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2013

Your primers are flat but there's no raised cratering/bleeding into the firing pin hole. You haven't reported primer piercing or ejector marks so it seems OK.

Haven't used CFE so can't comment on anything else.

Comment

• TropicalVibe
        Warrior
        • Mar 2015

204 AR,

I have a Stoner 18" non-fluted barrel. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/222...tainless-steel

Cheers,
        TV

Comment

• TropicalVibe
          Warrior
          • Mar 2015

Thanks Klem! No pierced primers, ejector marks, or any other signs. Just flat primers.

Comment

• Bwild97
            Warrior
            • Jan 2015

You are using large pistol primers? Could be why you see flattened primers, thin and soft primer cups. Also the larger primers just flatten easier than small primers.

Comment

• pkee
              Bloodstained
              • Nov 2014

I have the same barrel from midway . When i first started shooting it bullets were hitting all over the place . I was using H 123. amax . it took 2 boxes for it to start shooting tight groups . did your barrel have this problem ?
              I started to reload some 140g bullets i found at an old hardware store . I be testing them on hogs in a few weeks . I can't wait .

Comment

• VASCAR2
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

I get inconsistent C.O.A.L. with all the .264/6.5 match bullets. I've started measuring off the ogive, there just seems to be considerable variation to the match bullet nose length. I've using Hornady dies also with trimmed cases, Hornady, Lapua or PPU, same COAL variation with match bullets.

Comment

• TropicalVibe
                  Warrior
                  • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Bwild97 View Post
                  You are using large pistol primers? Could be why you see flattened primers, thin and soft primer cups. Also the larger primers just flatten easier than small primers.
                  Yes, Winchester large primers. Not sure how soft they are compared to CCI and others.

Comment

• TropicalVibe
                    Warrior
                    • Mar 2015

Originally posted by pkee View Post
                    I have the same barrel from midway . When i first started shooting it bullets were hitting all over the place . I was using H 123. amax . it took 2 boxes for it to start shooting tight groups . did your barrel have this problem ?
                    I started to reload some 140g bullets i found at an old hardware store . I be testing them on hogs in a few weeks . I can't wait .
                    I didn't seem to have any group issues, as the first 60 rounds were a combination of Hornady SST and PPU factory. I am curious to see how the 140's shoot for you. Please let us know. I do like the barrel so far, but I might need a little work on the extension/receiver feed ramps. Just a touch mismatched.

Comment

• TropicalVibe
                      Warrior
                      • Mar 2015

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
                      I get inconsistent C.O.A.L. with all the .264/6.5 match bullets. I've started measuring off the ogive, there just seems to be considerable variation to the match bullet nose length. I've using Hornady dies also with trimmed cases, Hornady, Lapua or PPU, same COAL variation with match bullets.
                      I have measured the bullet lengths of the red-box Amax 123's and they are exactly the same and weigh exactly 123gr. I am not measuring to the ogive, but will see how accurate the COAL's are.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                        Super Moderator
                        • Sep 2014

I just re-measured some fired PPU brass, not re-sized, and I'm getting ~36gr of H2O capacity. 115gr empty, and 151gr full.

I'm getting 115gr empty for 1x fired Lapua, 150.6gr full, so 35.6gr of H2O, which is pretty well-known from day 1 for case capacity.

There is no significant difference in the case capacities of my samples, and I think it's been this way from the get go with PPU brass.
                        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                        X