• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cory
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2012

Mobile Shooting Platform

Would there be any market interest in a shooting platform that was mounted into your trailer hitch receiver?

It'd be an extremely sturdy design that'd allow mobility within ~90 seconds. No fooling with setting up a shooting mat, building a shooting table. You'd just back your truck/suv up to whatever range you want to shoot at and be ready to go.

It'd be a prone position, that would allow you to put pressure on bipods with your feet slipping in wet grass or strap the rifle down onto a sandbag or you could use the SILO.
    "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin
  • wraith1516
    Warrior
    • Dec 2014

Think someone already makesone

Comment

• cory
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2012

Who's that?

Comment

• cory
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2012

Yes, but much more comfortable when laid upon. HAHA It'll also have easily deployable, additional support.

Comment

• GM2
          Bloodstained
          • Nov 2015

Something to check before you buy would be if your state allows shooting from a vehicle at ranges. Some States allow it at certified ranges however on any BLM, NPS, FS, and most State land it is illegal.

Comment

• cory
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2012

Originally posted by GM2 View Post
            Something to check before you buy would be if your state allows shooting from a vehicle at ranges. Some States allow it at certified ranges however on any BLM, NPS, FS, and most State land it is illegal.
            Huh, I didn't know that. Thanks!!!

The primary target would those who have enough private land for a range (farmland). They'd be able to set up one target position and move their truck to the desired range. Instead of having to a specific target for every range they want to shoot.

Comment

• wraith1516
              Warrior
              • Dec 2014

The one I saw was a bench with a seat that fits the reese hitch

Comment

• cory
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2012

Originally posted by wraith1516 View Post
                The one I saw was a bench with a seat that fits the reese hitch
                Oh yea I've seen the shooting benches. This would be a platform for prone shooting. It'd also be much sturdier. Using the SILO or bipods your rifle would be a significantly better supported position.

Comment

• LR1955
                  Super Moderator
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by cory View Post
                  Oh yea I've seen the shooting benches. This would be a platform for prone shooting. It'd also be much sturdier. Using the SILO or bipods your rifle would be a significantly better supported position.
                  Yo Cory:

How would you make the platform stable?

LR55

Comment

• dieselmudder
                    Bloodstained
                    • Sep 2015

I like the idea, but just a generalazation here. Stable= Sturdy, Sturdy=Heavy, Heavy=Cumbersome, Cumbersome<Mobile. Also the fact that a vehicles suspension is not a solid base, especially when putting 2-300 pounds aft of the rear axle. Supports to the ground would help, yes, but there again that adds weight and bulk to the overall package. Also, depending whether your laying parallell or perpendicular to the vehicle it will resonate muzzle blast back towards you, making for uncomfortable shooting.

Comment

• cory
                      Chieftain
                      • Jun 2012

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
                      Yo Cory:

How would you make the platform stable?

LR55
                      Hard point for the rifle and a hard(ish) point for your feet.

Deployable actuating supports for the platform.

Comment

• motoxxx_ryder
                        Warrior
                        • Mar 2015

Originally posted by cory View Post
                        Who's that?

someone makes something, not sure how stable it is though.

Comment

• cory
                          Chieftain
                          • Jun 2012

Originally posted by motoxxx_ryder View Post
                          http://www.amazon.com/Gunner-Hitch-S.../dp/B00TYWDUJI

Thanks! I new there were a few of these benches out there. My concept is very different in that it is not a shooting table. It's a platform you'll lay prone on.

Comment

• terrywick4
                            Warrior
                            • Sep 2014

I have seen similar one on a rig that had legs that cme down on the back end to stabilize it. not sure who made it.

Originally posted by motoxxx_ryder View Post
                            http://www.amazon.com/Gunner-Hitch-S.../dp/B00TYWDUJI

Comment

Working...
                            X