• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • molar
    Bloodstained
    • Jun 2014

You guys might want to head on over to Palmetto State Armory

6.5mm 120 gr AMAX bullets are on special for BF. $15 something per 100. Shipping is a little high, but still, 1000 came in at $173.40 shipped
  • A.D.D. AR
    Warrior
    • Oct 2014

also 120gr GMX and 140gr HPBT pretty darn good prices as well.
    thanks for the heads up molar!

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

120gr AMAX doesn't work well in the Grendel, but good heads up anyway.
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• molar
        Bloodstained
        • Jun 2014

Originally posted by A.D.D. AR View Post
        also 120gr GMX and 140gr HPBT pretty darn good prices as well.
        thanks for the heads up molar!
        Yeah, the lowest I could find the 120 AMAX was at Powder Valley for $25 per box plus shipping.

I'm getting ready to start a 6.5 Creedmor build and was thinking about picking up some of the 140's. Does anyone know how these shoot out of a creedmor on average?

Comment

• molar
          Bloodstained
          • Jun 2014

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
          120gr AMAX doesn't work well in the Grendel, but good heads up anyway.
          By not working well, do you mean due to the lower ballistic coefficient compared to the 123 AMAX? Or due to a different ogive design?

My rifles shoot the 120 SMK's very well. I figure if my grendels don't like them, I'll use them in the 6.5 Creedmor I'm building

Comment

• A.D.D. AR
            Warrior
            • Oct 2014

molar-
            you should at least try some 140gr HPBT's in your creedmor- they shoot very accurately for me in my 260.
            In the Grendel, the 120 Amax due to its weird ogive, have to be seated deeper in the case (I think I used to seat them to 2.15'' OAL or something like that) and their BC isn't that great
            for their weight class- but I did have a few loads worked up for them in the grendel that were 1/2'' MOA or better.
            The 123 amax should work great in your Creedmor and grendel.

Comment

• molar
              Bloodstained
              • Jun 2014

Originally posted by A.D.D. AR View Post
              molar-
              you should at least try some 140gr HPBT's in your creedmor- they shoot very accurately for me in my 260.
              In the Grendel, the 120 Amax due to its weird ogive, have to be seated deeper in the case (I think I used to seat them to 2.15'' OAL or something like that) and their BC isn't that great
              for their weight class- but I did have a few loads worked up for them in the grendel that were 1/2'' MOA or better.
              The 123 amax should work great in your Creedmor and grendel.
              I have a shilen grendel barrel that loves the 123 AMAX. MY 264 AR Precision barrel is a different story. The 123 AMAX touches the lands at 2.320" in that barrel. The only load that shot well for me in it with the 123 AMAX was 27.5 AR Comp and an OAL of 2.285"

The 120 AMAX might actually be the ticket in that barrel with its large amount of freebore. Sounds like I can get the bullet 20 to 30 thousandths off the lands and have the round still fit in a mag

Comment

• Lightning8
                Warrior
                • Jun 2015

If you are looking at 6.5 Creedmoor they have a smoking price on Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor ammo at PSA.

Comment

• molar
                  Bloodstained
                  • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Lightning8 View Post
                  If you are looking at 6.5 Creedmoor they have a smoking price on Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor ammo at PSA.
                  I saw that, but don't know about running hornady superperformance in a gas gun. I don't think it is a good idea

Comment

• Lightning8
                    Warrior
                    • Jun 2015

What is crazy is that the Superperformance is the cheapest 6.5 Creedmmor I can find. I just got a Savage M11 for hunting.

Comment

• robertc1024
                      Bloodstained
                      • Aug 2015

Thanks for the info molar, I just picked some up. They've got some great deals on lots of stuff - my wallet officially hates you.

Comment

• Joseph5
                        Warrior
                        • Oct 2012

Molar, I have shot their Superformance 5.56 in my AR and it worked very well.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                          Super Moderator
                          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by molar View Post
                          By not working well, do you mean due to the lower ballistic coefficient compared to the 123 AMAX? Or due to a different ogive design?

My rifles shoot the 120 SMK's very well. I figure if my grendels don't like them, I'll use them in the 6.5 Creedmor I'm building
                          The 120gr AMAX usually has to be seated way too deep in the case on Grendel, which is why Hornady made the 123gr AMAX. 120gr AMAX works fine in 6.5CM.
                          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• PrecisionFirearms
                            Warrior
                            • Apr 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                            The 120gr AMAX usually has to be seated way too deep in the case on Grendel, which is why Hornady made the 123gr AMAX. 120gr AMAX works fine in 6.5CM.
                            This is correct. We have found the data book from Hornady is wrong too. If you do get these make sure to seat them at 2.200 to 2.210. Not the 2.245 that the Hornady book says. It will save you a bolt!
                            "Precision - The Pinnacle of Perfection."

Comment

• Savage Shooter
                              Warrior
                              • Dec 2014

Originally posted by molar View Post

I'm getting ready to start a 6.5 Creedmor build and was thinking about picking up some of the 140's. Does anyone know how these shoot out of a creedmor on average?
                              The 140 Amaxs shot very well for me in my Savage LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor 0.5 - 1.0 MOA, but the Berger VLD Hybrids ( Berger 140 gr BTHP VLD Hybrid #26414) shot much better - 0.25 - 0.5 MOA. Favorite Load is 40.6 gr. H4350, FED 210M primer, Hornady case, neck reamed and turned and .002 - .003 neck tension. .005 to .015 Jump (it wasn't that critical with the Hybrid design).
                              My "6.5" = 24" AA Overwatch upper 1/9 twist, NC based US Tactical lower, standard A4 6 position stock, AR Gold Trigger, JPS SCS buffer, Vortex 6-24 x 50 FFP PST with EBR-2C MOA reticle

Comment

Working...
                              X