• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • badgerlb
    Unwashed
    • Sep 2014

Noe moulds

Right.. So i figured i would share since i got off my butt and polished out my sizer... I may need to open it a little more but its only gonna need another thou or two.. Ive loaded a few up to fireform some 7.62x39 brass at right at 20 grains of 335... I call the coating zombie eclipse.. The kids thought it was clever
    Attached Files
  • BluntForceTrauma
    Administrator
    • Feb 2011

I'm not following. . . . What is this?
    :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• badgerlb
      Unwashed
      • Sep 2014

Sorry.. A few too many thanksgiving cervesas prior to posting... These are cast bullets from the noe mould that von gruff was using in his grendel max... I requested 2 plain base cavities for powder coating... I got some powder coat from smoke over at castboolits... Cast about 80 of them up... Powder coated them... Then i got a lee 243 push through sizer and opened it to .2645... Ive got about 40 loaded up with light loads in 7.62x39 brass for fireforming and if they shoot well i may work a load up for them.. You may still be able to get the moulds from noe...
      Last edited by badgerlb; 11-27-2015, 02:17 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

• badgerlb
        Unwashed
        • Sep 2014

This is the mould... I opened up the 243 sizing die using a cleaning rod with some 400 grit sandpaper wrapped around it then i chucked it in a drill and worked the die for about 30 minutes back and forth on the rod dripping some mobile 1 on it every couple of minutes and checking the bullets size every 10 or so minutes... I may need to open it up a little more still but i thought this would be a decent starting point for some fire forming bullets and some cheap plinking projectiles.. If any one is interested ill put together a list of steps (for folks that havent cast before)

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Looks cool, I assume your using gas checks on the bottom of the bullets. Let us know how they shoot and what twist your barrel is in the test.

Comment

• badgerlb
            Unwashed
            • Sep 2014

Actually the mould i got is plainbase... I did quite a bit of reading over on castboolits.. There is a lot of debate as to whether checks are absolutely necessary on powder coated cast... Ive had pretty good luck running unchecked in my 300 bo in supers... Even through my can they shoot pretty well.. To be fair though this is taking it up a level.. The bases are all coated and i know that the last thing to melt on these when i recycle them is the powder coat... They usually float around for a little while until they eventually melt and goop up on the top of the pot or i scoop them out.. Should be an interesting experiment if nothing else... As far as the gun.. Its a 16 inch ar from aa.. So whatever the twist is in those... Probably 1x8 or something.. I will keep you guys posted, hopefully i get results half as good or as good as von gruff his seemed to shoot well

Comment

• Von Gruff
              Chieftain
              • Apr 2012

They are a good looking bullet being plain based badgerlb and should run quite well in the 14-1600fps range from your AR. I did my fireforming with 6.5gn red dot and even that cat sneeze load was fun to plink with.
              http://www.vongruffknives.com/

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Exodus 20:1-17
              Acts 4:10-12

Comment

• badgerlb
                Unwashed
                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Von Gruff View Post
                They are a good looking bullet being plain based badgerlb and should run quite well in the 14-1600fps range from your AR. I did my fireforming with 6.5gn red dot and even that cat sneeze load was fun to plink with.
                Cheers to you.. Wouldnt have been possible without your iniative!

Comment

• badgerlb
                  Unwashed
                  • Sep 2014

Heres what it looked like.. 10 rounds... Thru my can... About 70 yards with no rest

Comment

• customcutter
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2014

Sorry but your photo didn't post. I haven't been on CB forum since last year, I was working on a set of dies to make .224 bullets from .22lr cases (swaging part of the forum). I finished everything but the pointing die, maybe I'll get back to that project this spring. They were just getting into the powder coating, and several people were trying it with good results. I don't remember the velocities they were able to push it at though. But it seemed like a very interesting alternative to gas checks.

Comment

• badgerlb
                      Unwashed
                      • Sep 2014

Try this one... [ATTACH=CONFIG]7234[/ATTACH

I dont know about replacing gas checks... But i think with a proper rest... And assuming my suppressor wasnt the reason for it cycling at 20 grains of h335.. Those four shots in the middle are pretty nice.. I had a really terrible rest.. Getting it on a bench at a measured 100 yards would be nice.]
                      Attached Files

Comment

• customcutter
                        Warrior
                        • Dec 2014

Your right the four in the middle are pretty good, and it's a start. I'm sure they will tighten up with a better rest and some more tweaking. There were several of us trying to make dies on the CB swaging forum and we all joked about hoping to get minute of intruder accuracy to start with. Some of them were actually getting sub MOA when they finished. Of coarse that wasn't with their first pointing die. They learned a little more with each one they made and got better results.

Comment

• Von Gruff
                          Chieftain
                          • Apr 2012

That is the thing with cast bullets. Accuracy dosent often come easily. and while it may only take a couple of weekends to get a decent load with jacketed bullets (Ok, OK, I know it can take some time with jacketed bullets as well) but a cast bullet can take months of tinkering with different powders and loads to get close to what you are prepared to except.
                          At least you have got them all on paper so have a place to start. The one obstacle you may face with the AR is not being able to seat to land engagement as that can have a major bearing on accuracy.
                          Cases FLS can allow the cartridge to lay in the bottom of the chamber and that will have the bullet centre unaligned with the bore centre so the bullet is not starting in the most advantageous position so good accuracy may be difficult to obtain. Fireformed brass that is just neck sized gives the best chance of accuracy with all else being equal. Something you might try it so just NS a handful of cases and seat long (to land engagement) so you can singe load a test batch and see what your rifle is capable of with this load before you try to get there with FLS cases, loaded to mag length and shot from the mag.
                          Last edited by Von Gruff; 12-05-2015, 04:53 AM.

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Comment

• badgerlb
                            Unwashed
                            • Sep 2014

Any thoughts on whether the can helped create enough back pressure to cycle these and maybe tighten up the 4 shots in the middle?... My theory is that those were the last 4 shots and that the can warmed up and helped out... Not sure how plausible that is...

Comment

• Von Gruff
                              Chieftain
                              • Apr 2012

No, I don't believe there is any difference between the gas expansion/back pressure between the first and last shots but it may well have had something to do with seasoning the barrel if they were the last shots. The barrel needs to be cleaned of any jacketed use and it may take a few shots to get it shooting well with cast before any real testing is done. Going form jacketed to cast without proper preperation not going to produce the best results.

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Comment

Working...
                              X