• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Squatchy
    Bloodstained
    • Nov 2015

Type II bolt with 7.62x39 brass?

First time poster here. I just picked up an odin works 6.5 barrel and will doing my first build over the next couple of weeks. My question for you guys is will I have any problem using 7.62x39 brass and a Type II bolt? I wan't sure if there would be extraction issues or not.

This is the specific combo that I bought

Also, with a 1:8 twist would a 123gr amax be a good place to start?
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

Weclome aboard. No. Bolt face depth has nothing to do with the type of brass, unless the rim thickness changes substantially, and 7.62x39 and 6.5 Grendel are the same, with a few thousandths variation depending on x39 brass type.

Any reason why you are using 7.62x39 brass?
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Squatchy
      Bloodstained
      • Nov 2015

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
      Weclome aboard. No. Bolt face depth has nothing to do with the type of brass, unless the rim thickness changes substantially, and 7.62x39 and 6.5 Grendel are the same, with a few thousandths variation depending on x39 brass type.

Any reason why you are using 7.62x39 brass?

I have a nice stockpile of boxer primed once fired x39 brass from my sks. I figured since I already have the brass I might as well go that route. Thanks for the info!

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Squatchy View Post
        I have a nice stockpile of boxer primed once fired x39 brass from my sks. I figured since I already have the brass I might as well go that route. Thanks for the info!
        What brand of brass is it?

Most people end up shooting Grendel brass, which typically has more case capacity, so your loads will be different in the SKS brass, usually 1-2gr less than published data for 6.5 Grendel.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Squatchy
          Bloodstained
          • Nov 2015

Mostly winchester and remington. I didn't realize the x39 brass had smaller capacity. So I should just scrap that idea and go with grendel brass? Do you recommend a specific seller for once fired stuff or do I usually just have to buy that stuff new?

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

If you have so much of it, as in hundreds, then it might make sense for you. If just a few dozen, then I would get Grendel brass.

The PPU is the cheapest, but softest and uses Large Rifle Primers.

Hornady is next, but pretty much sells close to Lapua for some reason, even though you will get way more loads from Lapua brass, making it the most economical in the long run.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Squatchy
              Bloodstained
              • Nov 2015

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
              If you have so much of it, as in hundreds, then it might make sense for you. If just a few dozen, then I would get Grendel brass.

The PPU is the cheapest, but softest and uses Large Rifle Primers.

Hornady is next, but pretty much sells close to Lapua for some reason, even though you will get way more loads from Lapua brass, making it the most economical in the long run.

I do have a lot of x39 brass but at the same time I want to shoot this caliber to it's maximum capability. I'll have to do some research and find some sites that sell 6.5 brass and go that route. It almost seems like it would be about as cheap to just buy live ammo, shoot it, and then reload the brass vs just buying the brass. I can always use this brass to reload for my sks anyway. Thanks for the help! I will be updating with pics and range reports as by build comes along
              Last edited by Squatchy; 11-27-2015, 07:42 PM.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

Especially if you're going to reload for the SKS, I would just do like you said, and get factory ammo or brass and use actual Grendel brass. There are some great deals on ammo right now.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• LR1955
                  Super Moderator
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Squatchy View Post
                  I do have a lot of x39 brass but at the same time I want to shoot this caliber to it's maximum capability. I'll have to do some research and find some sites that sell 6.5 brass and go that route. It almost seems like it would be about as cheap to just buy live ammo, shoot it, and then reload the brass vs just buying the brass. I can always use this brass to reload for my sks anyway. Thanks for the help! I will be updating with pics and range reports as by build comes along
                  Squatchy:

Check the Grendel Buy / Sell / Trade thread. Normally someone is selling once fired Grendel brass at good prices about twice a month. I think the last time was about a week ago.

LR55

Comment

Working...
                  X