What presses and dies are you using and general equipment recommendations.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1075 tech
    Warrior
    • Apr 2015

What presses and dies are you using and general equipment recommendations.

Doing some reading here, researching and learning, as I put together my first Grendel. Just wondering what presses and dies everybody is using.

I currently have a Lee Challenger Breech lock press and mostly Lee dies for 223/5.56, 308, 243, 45ACP, and 38/357. This was a kit that also included the Perfect powder measure and scale.

I also have an old Lyman Tru-Line Jr that will probably get dedicated to just one or two calibers (I have a 7/8" die conversion plate for it as well as original 5/8 dies for 243 and 38/357).

From my reading here, it seems the Lee dies aren't really popular for the Grendel. Are Hornady's the next best option?

I'm thinking maybe an electronic scale. What else should I look at/consider that maybe I can pick up a little at a time?
  • pkee
    Bloodstained
    • Nov 2014

i have not had any trouble with my lee progressive press . but i am mostly making plinking rounds and a few hunting rounds .
    good luck .

Comment

• Fredman
      Warrior
      • Sep 2014

I have a Forester single stage and a Dillon 550B progressive press. Very happy with both. The 550 is loading good enough ammo for me, that I seldom use the Forester. Mostly load development.

Dies- for handgun, I use Dillon carbide dies. They are designed for progressive reloading. With a standard die, I waste time lining up the brass for the sizer die.
      Rifle- I like Forester and Redding. I really like the bushing full length sizer and micro seater. With bushing dies, they are easier to use and less likely to distort the brass. Just pricy. The micro seater is great, especially when loading different bullets. Need to seat .035" deeper? Just crank it down .035", check it and load.
      Just starting out? I would get a RCBS powder dispenser&scalate on sale at Natchez shooting supply for $279, a press and good set of dies.
      Last edited by Fredman; 11-28-2015, 01:46 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

• Fredman
        Warrior
        • Sep 2014

Sorry, I did read your post, just needed to read a second time. Disregard some of mine.

Comment

• cory
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2012

Rifle Dies - Redding or Bust (I hear Hornady dies are nice, but I've had no reason to try them since I switched from rcbs to redding.)
          Pistol Dies - A mixture of Dillon and Redding

Single Stage Press - I use a Rockchucker. It's a good reliable press. However, if I had it to do over again I'd probably go with a T7. I'd really like to have the new forster coax.
          Progressive Press - I run a Dillon 550B for everything, except the Grendel and load development. Great Press!

Powder Measure - I use a Redding BR PM and scale for the Grendel and load development. If you want an electronic scale go with the Chargemaster (from what I hear they work great). Stay away from the Hornady pocket scale. It's the most inconsistent thing I've ever seen. I only keep it for checking my ammo coming out of my 550B to make sure they have a powder charge.

I'm a big believer in buy once cry once.

I really like the Forster Head Space Gauge with my Hornady OAL rod for measuring max OAL for different bullets.

I upgraded my Hornady Calipers to the Mitutoyo 500-752-10 Digital Calipers and can't explain how impressed I am with the Mitutoyo.

Hornady sales a couple deburring tools for one of their hand tools, but the design allows me to chuck them in my drill and go to work. Great investment!

The little crow WFT is the only way to trim brass! However, you'll probably never need it for the Grendel.

Harley deprimer is a nice tool with a 5 gal bucket. It allows me to do thi tedious task while watching the game.
          Last edited by cory; 11-28-2015, 01:54 PM.
          "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• oldbarnowl
                Bloodstained
                • Mar 2015

My favorite bit of help, The Sheridan slot guage. Especially if you resize 7.62x39 brass to Grendel. Lets you see exactly what is going on...

Comment

• Younger
                  Warrior
                  • Dec 2012

RCBS Chargemaster Dispenser and Scale - 110 Volt is on Sale at Cabela's for $274.99 and FREE shipping. RCBS has a $50 rebate if you order $300 of RCBS equipment. the free shipping saves almost $20.

Comment

• lwminton
                    Warrior
                    • Nov 2014

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post

That T7 is pretty clean, as is the bench. Did you clean up to fool us?

Comment

• LRRPF52
                      Super Moderator
                      • Sep 2014

The T7 is the only thing I don't have. I have quick change bushing dies with a flimsy little Lee press.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Von Gruff
                        Chieftain
                        • Apr 2012

Rockchucker lV, Forster FLS die but the Wilson straight line seating die has given me some very good ammo. Simple set-up, reliable and cost effective.
                        http://www.vongruffknives.com/

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Exodus 20:1-17
                        Acts 4:10-12

Comment

• NugginFutz
                          Chieftain
                          • Aug 2013

For Rifle:
                          RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme single stage press
                          RCBS ChargeMaster measure and scale (tried the Hornady, but it got returned in favor of this)
                          RCBS dies (X-dies and Competition)
                          Hornady New Dimension dies for Grendel and 22-250 (both of these seat very concentric ammo)

For Pistol:
                          Hornady LNL AP progressive press
                          RCBS carbide pistol dies

Misc:
                          RCBS Case Prep Center (helps a lot with carpal tunnel)
                          Hornady LNL Concentricity Tool (yes, it makes a difference)
                          Little Crow WFT (nothing faster for trimming cases)
                          RCBS 505 Scale (seldom used)

As for Lee dies, I can only say this: Buying a set is actually pretty neat because with the purchase of each Lee shell holder, you get a free set of dies.
                          Last edited by NugginFutz; 11-28-2015, 06:42 PM.
                          If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• devildogandboy
                            Warrior
                            • Sep 2015

for my press i'm using an Lee "Classic" and dies i'm using Lee.

Bruce
                            HOLY CRAP, DID YOU SEE THAT????????

Comment

• TropicalVibe
                              Warrior
                              • Mar 2015

I just returned my RCBS SB dies for the Hornady New Dimension set. This is the first set of Hornaday dies I own, but maybe not the last. I am using the RCBS Rockchucker as my single stage press for rifle loading. I have a Dillon 650 for all my pistol loading.

I really enjoy the single stage process for the Grendel! Although, the brass prep sucks! I hand weigh all of my powder on the Dillon electronic scale. For now, the precision craftsmanship and custom loading is much more enjoyable than cranking out 1000 rounds of .45 ACP on the Dillon. I guess if I had to load 1000 rounds of Grendel, then I might change my tune.

Comment

Working...
                              X