What presses and dies are you using and general equipment recommendations.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ricsmall
    Warrior
    • Sep 2014

Not to high jack thread but how do those of you using it like the hornady LNL progressive? I need a progressive about three times a year. Not a need but it would be nice.

Richard
    Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• bigdaddyflo
      Bloodstained
      • Dec 2016

Originally posted by ricsmall View Post
      Not to high jack thread but how do those of you using it like the hornady LNL progressive? I need a progressive about three times a year. Not a need but it would be nice.

Richard
      I like mine alot! It's not love, but I haven't regretted buying it. I load quite a few rounds every year - somewhere between 3-5K.

Comment

• csmwhjones
        Unwashed
        • Aug 2016

Dillon 550, RCBS Turrett, Lyman 55 powder measure, PACT and Hornady digital scales, Sinclair Wilson trimmer, WFT in 5.56 and 300 BLK, shop built annealer, MEC Jr shotshell reloader. Dies from Lee, Hornady, Redding, Dillon, Lyman and Forster. Love the Dillon but it only loads handgun and plinker rounds for 556 and 300 BLK. Everything else goes on the modified turret press (shimmed to remove slop). Would rather have the Co-AX but this works.
        Dillon dies for everything loaded on Dillon. I like the Lee and Hornady dies for rifle because they are so easy to adjust COL. IF you get a good Lee die the decap pin is bullet proof IMHO.

Comment

• The Profit Joseph Sith
          Warrior
          • Nov 2016

does it count if i havent used it yet

+3 (or 4?) On the Co-Ax, its a great press. I'm partially in it for prepping as well as quality so one thought is the simpler the better. It had so many great reviews and it's stupid simple. It has compound leverage so it really takes no muscle and the universal jaw plates that hold the shells work very well and fast. The de priming tube is also clean and simple. I did make a better spent primer holder that little flimsy plastic jar sucks. But that's the only negative about it. I had a hornady magnum ultra sonic ive used to clean about a few thousand rounds but its to slow and didnt hold enough for me and was fairly loud. So i sold it. I'll get a better one or make a better one when i get back into it.
          Ill probably buy or make a equivalent thumblers/or rebel tumbler with steel pins as well and use that. Size and clean lube off in a quick trip through the ultra sonic. Well see. I love how the handle is "overhead" on the Co-Ax as well, not under.

Co-Ax
          older MEC600jr.
          Redding 3BR micrometer adj. Powder measure.
          Nice Older RCBS/obuas beam scale i got for free when I bought a buddies mosin for $50! With a huge bag of good 54r tracers. Love my friends. oh and a nice redding trickler..
          Dies are moslty lee for pistol stuff. Carbide 9mm
          Nicer RCBS dies for 38/357/max and like 3-4 different crimp dies...sheesh!
          Mostly RCBS dies for rifle stuff, competition .223 set. (The window seater is awesome),
          Dillon 30-30 dies.
          Lee factory crimp dies for most everything..Older RCBS trimmer i got for a steal with nearly every pillot and collet possible.
          Might upgrade later but the its VERY tight no slop at all. Been eyeing the Sinclair and the little crow for non SHTF trimmin'
          I like the hornady collet bullet puller with the cam lock. It JUST clears the arch for the handle FYI.
          Mititoyo 8/10" digimatics (COME TO THINK OF IT...I NEED GOOD EMP PROOF DIAL CALIPERS!!!)
          AAAAAHH, THE SKY IS FALLING!!!

I still need some items, decent chrono (I'd love a oelher 35p i think it is) but ill settle for a decent cheaper one for now.
          I'd like a decent cheaper hand priming tool. And maybe a kns or something later when i get into LRP more.
          OAL guages. Etc. I'm sure i forgot a bunch of stuff...
          I kinda like the idea of a rotary tumbler with pins if SHTF (which i think is inevitable) it would be easy to run off a bicycle..and you could even generate power too lol. ;P

HAS ANYONE TRIED THE BUCHANAN HAND PRESS? DECENT FINISHED ROUNDS IF SO?

Pardon my cell phone grammer and spelling.
          Last edited by The Profit Joseph Sith; 02-16-2017, 08:26 AM.

Comment

• USMCSgt85
            Unwashed
            • Jun 2015

RCBS Rock Chucker (from 1972)
            Hornady Projector (for volume loading and running test loads on)
            RCBS, Redding, Hornady, Lyman and Lee dies
            RCBS Prep Center
            RCBS Primer pocket reamers, hand priming tool
            Forester Case trimmer (for trimming and neck turning)
            RCBS powder measure and scale (Electric and manual)
            Ohaus Triple beam scale (to check the electric one)
            Mec 700 presses in 10, 12, 16, 20 and .410 gauges
            Pact Chonograph (from 1988) and a second newer one a ProChono
            RCBS Powder Trickler

Of all the dies I own I like the RCBS Carbide ones for pistol (.380, 9mm Luger, .38/.357 mag, .41 Mag, .44 Spl/mag and .45 auto).

For rifle (.223, .17 FB, .17 Ackley Hornet, .22 hornet, 6mm Rem, 6.5x55 Swed, 7mm Mauser, .308 win, .30-30 win, 30-06, .300 Win Mag, .32-40, .32-20, .35 rem, .35 Whelen, .38-55, .375 H&H and .45-70) they are all RCBS.

However, I did purchase Redding Dies (National Match) for the 6.5 Grendel and I really like them a lot. Micrometer head on the seating die, carbide button on the expander, taper crimp die and the workmanship is second to none. I use Redding form dies for the .17 Ackley Hornet, 6.5x55 Swed and the .17 Rem FB, they are great.

I have three die sets that I picked up and haven't had the chance to get barrels for them, they are all RCBS and in .308 x 1 1/2", .40-70 Sharps Bottle Neck and 6.5-06.

I use Lyman Neck sizing dies for .38-55 and .45-70 and RCBS neck sizing dies for .32-40, 6mm Rem, .17 Ackley Hornet and .17 Rem FB.

For cleaning brass I started out with a Thumbler's Tumbler and now also have a Lyman 2500.

It's helpful to remember that I reload to save money??????
            Last edited by USMCSgt85; 03-07-2017, 08:40 AM.
            Sight Alignment
            Sight Picture
            Squeeze...Bullseye!!

USMCSgt85
            2111/8531

Comment

• Aged1
              Bloodstained
              • Feb 2017

Like my Hornady L-N-L, LOVE hornady customer service. There was a learning curve and I started my reload life over 50 years ago on a borrowed RCBS single stage machine. I loads LOTS of 9mm, 38 Special, 357 mag (rifle and handpiece). Modest numbers for my 38-55 (single shot rifle takes less volume), also 22-250, 270. I can crank out 50 rounds of hand gun fodder in under 15 minutes. I carry EVERY day, I live on a range, and believe that being proficient is an obligation for carrying a gun (to old to run or fight ��). I've owned my L-N-L for about 6 years and have had to call Hornady for a quick coaching session...and free repair parts three times. I highly recommend the Hornady products. Oh, ever in Grand Island Nebraska, do a factory tour, worth your time.

Comment

• Bigs28
                Chieftain
                • Feb 2016

Are these the dies I need?

Comment

• NugginFutz
                  Chieftain
                  • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Bigs28 View Post
                  Those will work, but remember to get the Redding #12 shell holder.
                  If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Greg_R
                    Unwashed
                    • Jun 2017

I have a reloading station at my house and at another house I rent near work.

At home I have a RCBS JR3 with the upgrades and tricked out with the Inline Fabricators Ultra Mount micro, ergonomic handle and twin bullet bin. I use a Lyman #55 powder measure.. Augmenting the RCBS JR3 is a Lee Classic Cast Turret press. I owe an Ouhaus beam scale and a Forster case trimmer.

At the rental house I have the RCBS JR2, also with the upgrades but this one is mounted on the Inline Fabricators full size Ultra Mount. It is augmented with the Lee "Value" turret press (actually it's the Ole 3 hole turret press that's been upgraded to the 4 hole). I use the Lee Safety scale and the Lee Perfect Powder measure and the Lyman universal case trimmer.

The turret presses are set up for volume loading. I use RCBS and Lee dies.

Comment

• A1Vixen
                      Bloodstained
                      • Sep 2017

Like lot of people wrote before, I will buy as next press also a T7.

At the moment I have for my rifles (bolt action) only Redding Competition Neck Dies.

A Rockchucker single stage press and ordered a K&M Arbor press.

For the Grendel (bolt action) I ordered a Redding Competition Neck Die and a Body Die.
                      The seating die will be a Wilson. (cheaper than Redding Competition and best precision)

On bolt rifle I do not crimp, only the 9mm pistol ammunition for my Glock 17.

My new RCBS ChargeMaster Lite Powder Scale and Dispenser makes it much easier to get fast precise loads.
                      Before I used RCBS Uniflow Powder Measure, but with some powders like VV pistol powders, VV N133,... you can get good results, other powders like VV N160, H4350,... there are huge differences in every charge! Good enough for plinkling, but not for serious precision and long range shooting. So i needed to trickle every charge by hand with the RCBS trickler.

Other tools I use:
                      - Wilson case trimmer
                      - A Vogel dial caliper,
                      - Lyman Case Prep Xpress,
                      - Lyman Universal Decapping Die,
                      - Frankford Arsenal Quick-n-EZ Case Tumbler
                      - Quickload/Quicktarget
                      Last edited by A1Vixen; 10-06-2017, 06:34 AM.

Comment

• centerfire
                        Warrior
                        • Dec 2017

High volume loading:
                        Dillon XL650
                        Pistol: Dillon Dies
                        Rifle: RCBS

Low Volume:
                        RC Supreme w/ LNL conversion
                        Redding and RCBS Dies

Powder Measure:
                        Hillbilly Prometheus Viccon 123 scale with Lee measure and RCBS trickler

Tons of related gear I couldn't inventory that fills my cabinets and drawers.

Comment

• MuddyFork
                          Unwashed
                          • Jan 2018

Originally posted by NugginFutz View Post
                          Those will work, but remember to get the Redding #12 shell holder.
                          Can someone give me a link to this shell holder?

Comment

• mdewitt71
                            Warrior
                            • Dec 2016

I have a RCBS Rock Chucker from the early 80s and a Lee Classic 4 hole Turret press.
                            I really like the Lee Turret press when doing pistol loads.. very fast and efficient for the price.
                            I normally just use the Lee as a single stage along with a ChargerMaster 500 auto measure when I do rifle loads.

I could buy more expensive presses and equipment but, then the cost of my reloads go up as well.... I am all about keeping the cents per round down.
                            I can get a SD of 3-8 FPS with bulk 150gr FMJs and 155 Palmas in .308 and shoot out to 1000 so, the setup works for me.
                            I am new to the Grendel so I went with Hornady dies and will try Sierra bullets and Starline Brass (both local to me).
                            ― George Orwell

Comment

• Drillboss
                              Warrior
                              • Jan 2015

Originally posted by MuddyFork View Post
                              Can someone give me a link to this shell holder?

Comment

• Goebela3
                                Unwashed
                                • Feb 2018

Looking at getting my first press and was leaning towards the Dillon 550C. Is there a reason most of you are doing single press for 6.5 grendel instead of progressive? I would mostly load 9mm, 5.56, and 6.5 grendel.

Comment

Working...
                                X