What presses and dies are you using and general equipment recommendations.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wheelhorse
    Warrior
    • May 2014

Most pistol ammo is loaded on a 550B, rifles on a Rockchucker with Redding Type S full length dies, with the exception of the bullets for my 6br, they get seated with a Wilson die on a Sinclair arbor press.

Comment

• Lightning8
      Warrior
      • Jun 2015

Dillon 550 but I am a "heretic" and use Lee pistol dies and (gasp!) the Lee autodisc powder measures for pistol. I load a high volume of 9mm and this suits me well. Have same setup for 380 and 40. Still use a Dillon Square Deal for 45ACP but if I ever get enough small primer 45 brass - I will probably retire the Square Deal.

I have an old RCBS single stage press I use for rifle and case prep. Lyman tumbler that is at least 20 years old and still going strong.

Comment

• Blanco
        Bloodstained
        • Mar 2016

Nothing at all wrong with Lee. I have been loading all my rifle on a Lee classic cast press for quite a few years. I have loaded plenty of 30-06 that will shoot 5 shot groups you could cover with a quarter.
        Yes some of Lee's equipment is less than stellar... I do have 4 Loadmasters that I load pistol on. They are not for the mechanically challenged, But once you learn their quirks they can keep up with the best. I wonder how good the 6.5 Lee dies are??

Comment

• 762n40
          Bloodstained
          • Oct 2015

For low volume rifle, Redding Big Boss 2 press
          My favorite die set is a combination of a Redding bushing sizing die with carbide button, and a RCBS competition seater die.

For high volume pistol, hard to dislike Dillon equipment.

Comment

• glackin88
            Unwashed
            • Mar 2016

I load with a lee load master for all my pistol and 223 ammo. I also use it as a single stage for my 6.5 rounds. its ok as a single stage but I plan on getting a t7 for all my precision rifle rounds.
            6.5 Grendel
            M&P stripped lower
            AA billet upper with side charging handle
            AA bolt carrier and bolt
            Geissele DMR trigger
            Sabre defense 20" stainless barrel
            Magpul PRS stock
            JP enterprises 15" hand guard
            Vortex viper 6-20 with Burris P.E.P.R. mounts

Comment

• SDguy
              Warrior
              • Oct 2015

Old RCBS rock chucker guy here

Old is referring to the press @ w my knee giving me grief today I am feeling a little old for a guy in his early 50's.

As for dies - Lee, Hornady and Redding for me I have really been switching to Lee collet necking dies lately. Just picked up a couple custom collet neck sizing dies recently in 17 Fireball and 6.5 Grendel. Must say I have been very pleased with the RCBS competition bullet seater also, especially in the little 17's. That side access window dropping the bullet into the sliding guide sleeve is sweet when handling the little 20 to 30 grain 17 cal pills.

Of course the neck dies of any sort are out of the question for the AR type applications. Still primarily a Bolt action guy here. I used to think a AR could not be a truly accurate gun. Boy had I been wrong on that one.
              Last edited by SDguy; 03-16-2016, 02:29 AM.

Comment

• diddlyv
                Warrior
                • Aug 2016

Just about all my rifle dies are Hornady new dimension. Years ago in El Paso could not find hornady 7mm mauser dies so those are forstner or RCBS. I was using a Lyman T Mag old style with the quick change turret system until a couple of weeks ago when the shoulder bolt that holds the turret on broke. The new T Mag II shoulder bolt does not work without fabricating some kind of a hard shim to present the bolt from going too far in to the ram and locking the turret. I suppose I could have just tightened the bolt done what ever operation, loosened and turned to the next die and re-tightened. Too much hassle so I just got a new T Mag II.
                Queen of Battle
                Follow Me

Life NRA, DAV ,VFW, SASS

Comment

• Rickc
                  Warrior
                  • Aug 2016

I use a forster co-ax for.all my precision reloading

I also have a Harrell combo press for a portable range setup.

For the grendel I have a forster sizing die and a Wilson in line seater.

Checked runout.on the 50 rounds I loaded yesterday. Most were around .001. Only 3 were .003 or worse.

This is with brand new resized lapua brass. I always.run a neck expander through new lapua brass. Necks are always so tight. Then I run them through the sizing die.

Comment

• Chrazy-Chris
                    Warrior
                    • Aug 2015

What is the go-to die two die set for SAAMI 6.5 Grendel? Is there any one in particular that you all agree on to be the best value?

Comment

• LRRPF52
                      Super Moderator
                      • Sep 2014

I think the Hornady New Dimension die set is the best value. I wouldn't go lower than that.
                      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Flyguy11
                        Warrior
                        • Nov 2015

Do yourself a favor and just buy Redding or Forster Dies. I have a Lee Challanger Press at this time and I am looking to upgrade to Redding.

Comment

• JuanC
                          Bloodstained
                          • Jan 2017

If you could start over with your presses, dies, and parts what would you go for?

Comment

• cory
                            Chieftain
                            • Jun 2012

Forster CoAx or Redding T7 Press
                            All Redding dies for rifle and Dillon for high volume pistol
                            Redding scale and powder measure
                            mitituyo calipers
                            Forster Datum Dial
                            Engineer notebook/reloading journal
                            rcbs hand priming tool
                            harvey deprimer
                            WFT
                            "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Aged1
                              Bloodstained
                              • Feb 2017

First post... I own a Hornady Lock-N-Load press. Load volumes of pistol ammo, about 15 minutes for 50 rounds....after the learning curve. I take the powder drop off and have a separate powder dispenser for rifle, and generally use the press single load fashion for rifle. Older dies are RCBS, newer ones Hornady (357/38) or Redding (9mm). The Redding was the most expensive, but bought it when it was Redding or nothing (will we ever forget 2012-13 scarce everything). Do have some Lee dies for my 38-55, and Lee factory crimp dies for 38-55 and others, and this factory crip operation makes a lot if sense to me.
                              Shout out here for superlative customer service from Hornady. The Lock-N-Load had a 500 bullet rebate, but did not care for their selection so I called Hornady and asked to change to a bullet weight I wanted (180 grain 357 XTP). Quickly said "will do!" During press learning curve I ham fisted some parts and called Hornady for some coaching...coaching good, free repair parts was a winner for me.
                              The powder dispenser make?? (Shop/load room 100 yards from this easy chair..��) but it's made in Texas and I have zero issues with it thus far.

Comment

• bigdaddyflo
                                Bloodstained
                                • Dec 2016

I started with a Rock Chucker single stage press and still have it. This is a solid press, slow but solid. I use it for some rifle loads (338 Lapua/6.5 Carcano) and when I am working up loads. For mega loading pistol and rifle rounds I use a Hornady Lock N Load (LNL) Progressive press. I use RCBS and Hornady dies almost exclusively - BUT I do use the Lee Crimp die on almost every rifle caliber - the crimp this die puts on it is much better than a roll crimp and you won't take a chance on ruining your expensive brass by using this (just like Aged1 mentioned). I have ruined (crushed) many pieces of brass trying to get the roll crimp just right. Ugg!!!! 338 Lapua Magnum brass is not cheap!
                                Changing from pistol to rifle on the LNL takes about 5 minutes to get the powder dispenser set up correctly - I have a home made cheat sheet in every die set that tells me how to set up the powder dispenser for that round - this will save a lot of time by not having to insert the different length powder inserts and figuring out which one or two to insert (IF you have a LNL, you know what I mean). Plus I have the powder Micrometer on the dispenser and note that measurement for every load - this gets me close enough to start getting my powder dispenser dialed in.
                                Other things you'll need are good calipers, brass prep stuff (vibrator/sonic cleaner, prep station, trimmers), plenty of manuals, and a manual scale to verify the electronic scale (if you go that route). Bullet puller(s), stuck case remover (it will happen), solid reloading table, good lighting. Keep the booze off the table, and the smoking outside.
                                Last edited by bigdaddyflo; 02-15-2017, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X