What presses and dies are you using and general equipment recommendations.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LR1955
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Goebela3 View Post
    Well I think I will be looking into the Co-AX now, looks like its about $40-50 more than the T7. Are you guys trimming the cases on your 6.5 brass?
    GB:

You won't go wrong with the Co Ax. That much most everyone here who owns a Co Ax will tell you.

I believe any reloader here trims their brass when the brass needs trimming.

There are a couple of threads on trimmers so you may want to run a search.

LR55

Comment

• Klem
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Goebela3 View Post
      ...Are you guys trimming the cases on your 6.5 brass?
      Only when they need it, for all calibres.

SAAMI for this calibre is 1.520"
      I trim all cases that exceed 1.525" back to around 1.516" (New Lapua are about 1.516")

Comment

• centerfire
        Warrior
        • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Klem View Post

Part reason why progressives produce less accurate ammo is because of the inbuilt run-out.

Dillon is the same.
        If you set up a 550B or XL650 correctly that is not true. The case indexes off of the face of the ram, not the shell plate. While I don't advocate loading precision on a XL650X because of how it auto advances, you can easily produce ammunition with minimal runout on a 550B. I use my XL650 to batch process precision cases and when it's all said and done I get about +/-.001 run out at the ogive. I deprime, size, and mandrel neck size on the XL650. A buddy of mine competes nationally in F Class and he uses a 550B exclusively. The Co-Ax is the best single stage though.
        Last edited by centerfire; 03-18-2018, 02:02 AM.

Comment

• Klem
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by centerfire View Post
          If you set up a 550B or XL650 correctly that is not true. The case indexes off of the face of the ram, not the shell plate...
          I stand corrected...

The Dillon 650 does have 'calibre' specific' locator pins (Part #11) which will line the case up with the generic top plate die axes. There's no other reason why they would have different pins for different calibres. The Lee Loadmaster does not however. 650 Parts list here;
          Dillon Precision is the premiere manufacturer of firearm ammunition reloading equipment in the USA. We sell reloaders, reloader accessories, firearm accessories and gear to retail and B2B customers.

My pins are for 9mm and I see they are stamped '3').

Thanks for setting me straight Centrefire.

Klem
          Last edited by Klem; 03-18-2018, 02:41 AM.

Comment

• Jakal
            Warrior
            • May 2014

You can do every process on a Dillon 550b as a single stage if you want, do it all the time. It comes in handy building charge ladders.

Then you can run 500 rounds progressive in about 2 hours. It's all in the setup of the press. And if its correct, you can turn out very accurate ammo with low deviance. Most of my loads continually turn out sub-10 ES and SD's. If I do my part right, cloverleafs.

I use benchrest techniques for the AR but realize it ain't a benchrest rifle. If I can pop off 5 rounds just as soon as I get back on target and they are sub-moa, good enough for me. I don't need to shoot bugholes but the tighter the better.

I view my AR's as fighting tools first, then hunting, then paperpunchers. So for what I do, the Dillon 550b is excellent. Others may have different priorities.
            ""Come taste my Shillelagh you goat-eatin bastard!""

Comment

• centerfire
              Warrior
              • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Klem View Post
              I stand corrected...

The Dillon 650 does have 'calibre' specific' locator pins (Part #11) which will line the case up with the generic top plate die axes. There's no other reason why they would have different pins for different calibres. The Lee Loadmaster does not however. 650 Parts list here;
              Dillon Precision is the premiere manufacturer of firearm ammunition reloading equipment in the USA. We sell reloaders, reloader accessories, firearm accessories and gear to retail and B2B customers.

My pins are for 9mm and I see they are stamped '3').
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]11347[/ATTACH]

Thanks for setting me straight Centrefire.

Klem
              The locating buttons just keep the brass from falling out. You can run the press without them if you're not too rough.

ETA: To clarify, the button keeps the brass aligned in the shell at the die station once you're running full speed. There are breaks in the ram face so brass can be removed or inserted, the buttons keep the brass from coming out. Runout in rifle brass on a Dillon 550 or 650 is normally caused by tightening the die lock rings without a piece of brass in each station.
              Last edited by centerfire; 03-18-2018, 04:56 AM.

Comment

• Crracer712
                Bloodstained
                • Mar 2018

I got in to reloading about 15 years ago, started with 30-06. I went with the basic Lee kit, single stage. It's always produced the results I wanted. As I moved to pistol loads, I went with the Lee 4 hole turret press. Been using it quite a bit the last 6-7 years. If I had the money, I don't know that I'd upgrade. I like the way it works, I'm used to it and I've never had any issues with any of the equipment.

Comment

• Klem
                  Chieftain
                  • Aug 2013

Originally posted by centerfire View Post
                  The locating buttons just keep the brass from falling out. You can run the press without them if you're not too rough.

ETA: To clarify, the button keeps the brass aligned in the shell at the die station once you're running full speed. There are breaks in the ram face so brass can be removed or inserted, the buttons keep the brass from coming out. Runout in rifle brass on a Dillon 550 or 650 is normally caused by tightening the die lock rings without a piece of brass in each station.
                  Yes, I am aware of the obvious function of the retaining pins, which is to retain the case while it spins at speed.

What I am referring to is the other role of the retaining pin, which is to index the case at the edge of the bottom plate. I only have one Dillon plate which is 9mm. No doubt the diameters of plates vary depending on calibre. Given the holes the retaining pins sit in are fixed their button diameters will be different diameters to account for the different diameter bottom plates. This is how Dillon solves manufacturer-induced run out in a generic machine.

Your practise of raising the ram and screwing in the die's locking nut with a case in it might also help.

Comment

• cwlongshot
                    Warrior
                    • Mar 2018

I have had most of whats out there today at one time or another...

Currently my Single stage bench has a Rock Chucker, a RCBS Summit and a REDDING BIG BOSS. OOH it also has a LEE ultra cheapo I use as a ram primer.

My progressive bench has a RCBS Ammo master and two Dillon 550's. (One rifle one pistol.)

Dies, REDDING first choice RCBS/ Forster/Lyman second.

Powder measurers, couple Redding units and couple Uniflo from RCBS.

Redding tricklers

Ohaus and RCBS scales

CW

Comment

• bj139
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Crracer712 View Post
                      I got in to reloading about 15 years ago, started with 30-06. I went with the basic Lee kit, single stage. It's always produced the results I wanted. As I moved to pistol loads, I went with the Lee 4 hole turret press. Been using it quite a bit the last 6-7 years. If I had the money, I don't know that I'd upgrade. I like the way it works, I'm used to it and I've never had any issues with any of the equipment.
                      There was a T7 for sale recently and I thought about it for a while but I am happy with my Lee turret press and don't think the T7 would do anything better.
                      I noticed on posts here people have multiple presses for convenience. I recently bought a Lee hand press and do all my bullet seating on it.
                      The quick change bushings are convenient to change dies quickly. Once you have screwed and unscrewed dies about a thousand times you will know what I mean.

Comment

• FW Conch
                        Warrior
                        • Nov 2014

+1 on the Lee hand press for bullet seating. No other method provides better feel for neck tension,IMO.

Comment

• Crracer712
                          Bloodstained
                          • Mar 2018

I have the Lee hand press as well. I believe I bought hornady lock nuts for all my dies, at least it seems that was the brand. I didn't care the the o-ring adjustment.

For pistol and even 223, my dies are kept on their own turret disc.

If I had the money for convenience sake, I could easily see have multiple presses for various calibers. I just don't load enough to justify.

I've got my equipment setup on one of those harbor freight wood wood working benches. A pair of mec loaders on one end, and a quick change plate on the other for the single stage and turret press.

I've done the entire process for reloading 30-06 on the hand press, but resizing isn't the funnest! But I do still use it to seat bullets on occasion.

Comment

• FW Conch
                            Warrior
                            • Nov 2014

^ I don't recommend the use of a Lee hand press for case resizing, unless using a Lee collet neck sizing die only. Best done with a bench press.

Comment

• Crracer712
                              Bloodstained
                              • Mar 2018

I don't either, but I've done it.

Comment

• roor
                                Warrior
                                • Jan 2018

Comment

Working...
                                X