What presses and dies are you using and general equipment recommendations.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Another RCBS Rock Chucker user here, I bought mine in 1981 and it has held up great. I'm using Hornady 6.5 Grendel dies but have a set of RCBS SB TC 264 LBC dies I've never got around to using. I primarily load 6.5 Grendel, 223/5.56 in rifles and 9 MM, 380, 40 S&W, 45 ACP and 38 Special for handguns.

I'm still using my RCBS 10-10 scale I bought when I bought my press.

Comment

• BjornF16
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2011

LRRPF52, that looks like a T7 photo from "Ultimate Reloader" (UR) videos I've seen.

Anyone actually using a T7?

I've been using Rockchucker (Redding dies) and a Lyman powder measure.

It's a slow process.

I've been pondering a setup like T7 to help speed things up. What about a powder measure? UR uses a Redding BR3 measure.

What is a proven and consistent powder thrower?
      LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
      Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

• ricsmall
        Warrior
        • Sep 2014

Bjorn

If you're throwing ball or flake and maybe even the small kernels of XBR, the Harrell measure works great. For larger stick powders you have to throw @.5 grain under and trickle up. RCBS chargemaster is another option, as there are tweaks u can perform to speed it up. IIRC, bwaites has one that he modded to b faster.

Richard
        Last edited by ricsmall; 11-29-2015, 04:12 PM. Reason: Added link
        Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• BjornF16
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2011

Yikes!...which Harrel to choose? Custom 90 for rifle and pistol?
          LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
          Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

• LR1955
            Super Moderator
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by BjornF16 View Post
            LRRPF52, that looks like a T7 photo from "Ultimate Reloader" (UR) videos I've seen.

Anyone actually using a T7?

I've been using Rockchucker (Redding dies) and a Lyman powder measure.

It's a slow process.

I've been pondering a setup like T7 to help speed things up. What about a powder measure? UR uses a Redding BR3 measure.

What is a proven and consistent powder thrower?
            Bjorn:

I have owned a T-7 for many years. It is the most heavily used press I own and I own a number of presses.

It is a single stage press with a tool head. This is convenient because you don't have to change out dies but it is not a conventional turret that you can easily spin around to load one round at a time. The turret is too difficult to rotate for it to be used like a Lyman or RCBS turret press.

Among the other presses I own is a RCBS turret and that one you can spin around easily. It works for the Grendel but that is about the biggest cartridge I would put through it. I have always had an affinity for turret presses but haven't used it in years. A single stage press only slightly slower than a turret in my experience. Especially if you own a Bonnanza Co-Ax. Changing dies takes about three seconds or less.

For a powder measure, get the Harrel. I have the 90 I believe and it works better than any other measure I have used. It is easy to use, is repeatable, and throws charges more consistently than any other measure I have used.

If you want to load a lot of ammo fast, and want to use ball powder, the progressives are the way to go. Once you have them set up, that is. And providing their primer feed system works reasonably well.

LR55

Comment

• Jakal
              Warrior
              • May 2014

I use a Dillon RL550B press, Redding and Dillon dies. An RCBS Chargemaster for charge ladders. The Dillon powder system is very consistent.

If you reload a lot of different calibers, this maybe a way to go.
              ""Come taste my Shillelagh you goat-eatin bastard!""

Comment

• Klem
                Chieftain
                • Aug 2013

Rifle Press
                Lyman 'Crusher II' single-stage.

Dies
                Redding FL sizer.
                Forster competition seater.
                Redding taper crimp.

Powder measure
                RCBS Chargemaster.

Measuring gear
                Mitutoyo calipers and Micrometer.
                headspace and bullet-seat depth (Stoney Pt).
                Rifle gauge (Sheridan Engineering).

Priming
                Lee Auto Prime (nothing 'Auto' or fancy about it but it works!).

Comment

• Joseph5
                  Warrior
                  • Oct 2012

I have the RCBS Small Base dies in 264 LBC that I have used with good results with both a RCBS single stage and a Dillon 550 press . I have sitting in boxes in my garage with no where to set it up, a Dillon 650 with all of the extra goodies for high speed ammo manufacture. If I can ever get my house sold and finally buy/build one where I currently live I will be able to set up my reloading/gunsmithing room and go to town.

Comment

• 1075 tech
                    Warrior
                    • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Joseph5 View Post
                    If I can ever get my house sold and finally buy/build one where I currently live I will be able to set up my reloading/gunsmithing room and go to town.
                    The other day, my wife "strongly suggested" that I get part of the basement finished and set up my "gun room" there. That'll be my winter project but I'll have an approximately 10x20 room when I'm done.

As far as everyone else, I appreciate seeing all the different equipment you use and suggestions. I look forward to more. I've ordered several small items from Midway to add to my reloading bench.

I'm afraid that the new gun room will put a damper on the budget for reloading and gun building for a bit but will make things so much easier and nicer to work with in the end.
                    Last edited by 1075 tech; 11-30-2015, 09:14 PM.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                      Super Moderator
                      • Sep 2014

If MKo could pipe in, he has the best modification list to the RCBS Chargemaster I've ever seen.

He replaced all the electronic components like resistors and capacitors.

Lined the inside with aluminum adhesive tape.

Reprogrammed the dispenser to kick out powder 4x as fast.

Choked the powder funnel so that it wouldn't dump powder all over.
                      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Savage Shooter
                        Warrior
                        • Dec 2014

For high volume pistol loads (.380 ACP, 9mm, .40 S&W) I use my Hornady Lock-N-Load Progressive press but I often resize and deprime, then clean the brass again using steel media in a tumbler and then hand prime. Then, I use the multi-stations to expand, charge with powder and seat the bullets.

For rifle loads, I have a Hornady Classic single stage or I will use the Lock-N-Load AP press as a single stage press.

What I do to get my powder charges very accurate is I use a Hornady drop measure to dial in to the approximate weight (usually less than 0.1 gr below target weight), then I use an RCBS beam scale and trickle the powder to within about 0.05 gr using the Dandy electronic Powder Trickler http://www.omegapowdertrickler.com/ . I then weigh the powder and pan on my GEM Pro http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o01_s00 scale which is accurate to +/- 0.02 grains. With this powder weighing set-up, I typically get standard deviations in the 5-8 fps range for a five shot group. While the powder is trickling out (it has an auto-shut-off when the target weight is hit on the beam scale), I am usually seating bullets or adjusting them for run-out, so I am not really wasting time waiting and have gotten reasonably fast.
                        My "6.5" = 24" AA Overwatch upper 1/9 twist, NC based US Tactical lower, standard A4 6 position stock, AR Gold Trigger, JPS SCS buffer, Vortex 6-24 x 50 FFP PST with EBR-2C MOA reticle

Comment

• sneaky one
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

I have the Lee Challenger basic press- to deprime , and prime, and load a few calibers. 44 mag.-- .223--7.62x40--9mm. Breech lock setup is fine.

My Lyman turret press is only for the Grendel. I like it. No runout on loaded ammo. $95.00 in the bargain cave @ Cabela;s 3 years ago.

Hornady digital scale. , Rcbs powder thrower, . All works fine. With this caliber, the mighty Grrrrr.... I have shot some amazing groups- .115.

I have no need to upgrade anything. I'm happy.

Comment

• pinzgauer
                            Warrior
                            • Mar 2011

Bonanza (Forster) Co-Ax hard core convert. Forster Grendel dies. Mix of Hornady and Lee Co-Ax dies for other calibers.

Used Lee turret for years, brother still cranking out ammo on it

If you ever use a Forster co-ax, you will want one!

Comment

• shellcatcher
                              Unwashed
                              • Dec 2015

Hello,
                              For pistol ammo I use a Dillon XL650.
                              Most rifle development is done on my RCBS Rock chucker.
                              I still use my RCBS 505 scale and trickle up.
                              RCBS uniflo measure with mic. adjustment.
                              For 5.56 and 7.62x51 I use a Dillon XL650 set up for rifle.
                              Their measure is very good and gets better with certain powders.
                              I also have a powder die set up so I can drop straight from my scale.
                              Bob
                              And you think your over the edge!

Comment

• lweb43@yahoo.com
                                Unwashed
                                • Dec 2015

Very handy tool.

Comment

Working...
                                X