+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Bloodstained
    As I read all of these safety issues I chuckle a little in side. No because they are funny ,because that are not.
    But because of how I was trained to shoot. Let me start by saying I had the first rifle in my had at the age of 5 under strict supervision of. My Grandfather may he RIP, he was a WWII Mraine and a 30 year retired Cop. I learned quickly that being studied ( careless with a firearm ) equals pain. Your finger on the trigger when not on target and ready to shoot got you a flick on the. Ack of your trivet had from him. The muzzle of the gun any other then in then on target was follow by a sharp smack to the back of he head. And so on. But what i did learn and learn well.

When I went to a local range last weekend, I was pleasantly surprised to not see any safety violations.

It was well-run, with consistent observation and guidance from the RSOs.

The biggest problem for them is if I get talking with them when they need to be running the range.

They also had an end-of-day range debrief with the manager of the range, who went over procedures and how to deal with various circumstances that might arise.

There is hope.
    Last edited by LRRPF52; 04-10-2017 at 07:12 PM.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ten Ring View Post
    As I read all of these safety issues I chuckle a little in side. No because they are funny ,because that are not.
    But because of how I was trained to shoot. Let me start by saying I had the first rifle in my had at the age of 5 under strict supervision of. My Grandfather may he RIP, he was a WWII Mraine and a 30 year retired Cop. I learned quickly that being studied ( careless with a firearm ) equals pain. Your finger on the trigger when not on target and ready to shoot got you a flick on the. Ack of your trivet had from him. The muzzle of the gun any other then in then on target was follow by a sharp smack to the back of he head. And so on. But what i did learn and learn well.
    Yup. Pain reinforced discipline is a very effective teaching tool for humans. Especially young ones. Shame we have drifted away from that.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Warrior
    Agreed. How safe are public ranges? Does anyone know of any evidence showing that rages with safety officers are safer than ranges without them? Are public ranges safer than private ones? Does risk go up with any specific factors-number of shooters or time of day? We try and do our shooting when my family is the only ones shooting on a private range

It's a different kind of risk at public ranges w/o safety officers - READ BLM Land.

Given most of the controlled public ranges around here are strict to the extreme side, I would presume that you would be safer than w/o safety officers - regardless of the number of patrons.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep