• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

Buddy's First Hog

I got a chance to have a buddy visiting from Colorado go hog hunting with me. It took us a couple of nights before he got a shot at a hog and he did a great job, DDRT. He was using my daughter's Grendel (AA Incursion upper) with a IR Defense, IR Hunter MKII 2.5x thermal scope. My buddy is pretty big and the little carbine looked like a toy in his hands, but he put it to good use.

We saw hogs the night before, but they breezed through without slowing down and he never got a shot. I told him to just pop the hog, but he had the presence of mind to start recording and tried waiting out things to see if a sounder was coming. Despite the wind being from the feeder and toward the stand, the hog smelled something, turned around, and made off to leave. My buddy put the Hornady SST 123 gr. factory round right behind the ear on the moving hog. No surprise, it exited the opposite side.

Here is the video...
    Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

Nuked him. Nice video. That digital zoom worked out great I would say. Much more confidence in shot placement.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• jawbone
      Warrior
      • Jan 2012

always a fan of your vids, 00Spy. excellent shot, too. before the video credits, i didn't see Angry Bird in the back seat and wondered if he'd been left at home.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
        Chieftain
        • Sep 2013

You know, he was riding in the window as he often does when he apparently got shy and jumped down long about the 3rd or 4th time I tried to make that little intro clip.

Well, my buddy Brian got skunked last night, but has vowed to return for more...

Comment

• pkee
          Bloodstained
          • Nov 2014

that was one heck of a shot . great story to .

Comment

• am4966
            Chieftain
            • Jul 2014

Those IR Hunter MKII thermals look pretty damn good! the new MKIII's probably look amazing plus with range finding to boot. That was a nice shot, lights went out fast
            12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
            Surge - Rugged Suppressor
            Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
              Chieftain
              • Sep 2013

I think the MKIII has some VERY nice improvements, but the rangefinder will probably have very little useful application for most hunters. Stadiometric range finding works on the concept of having a known parameter down range by which to compare against a scale inside of the scope (the stadiometer). So if you are out in a field and you need to know the distance to a given tree, you must first known the height (or width) of the given tree or other object that is the same distance as the tree. If you don't know one of these parameters, then you can't make an accurate assessment.

As the military has found with using stadiometric range estimation (mil dot) of human beings, distances can be quite a bit off in various parts of the world. Males in Norway average nearly ~ 5'11" but males Malasia average 5'2" and such differences throw off range estimations considerably. http://www.disabled-world.com/artman...ht-chart.shtml

Adding the stadiometer is nice, but I think it was an answer to Armasight's clip-on (and hugely expensive) laser range finder that provides a heads-up display inside of the scope and Pulsar's N850 Digisight that has an internal rangefinder with readings inside the rifle scope, technology that potentially be carried over to their thermal lines. Either that, or IR Defense is going for the military contract aspect where the objects of known size are people or vehicles and not various types of animals that are highly plastic in size and shape such as hogs.

The MKIII has many more reticles than the MKII, more magnification, better video output (from what I have seen on Youtube), and some other nice changes. Hopefully, I will get my hands on one in the near future.

Comment

• customcutter
                Warrior
                • Dec 2014

Great shot! It looks like IR has greatly improved the video quality of their units from what I was seeing last year on u-tube. The quality on this unit is as good as Wildfowler's unit, which I thought was a fluke for some reason.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                  Chieftain
                  • Sep 2013

Yeah, I don't know what they are doing, but it is looking better.

Comment

Working...
                  X