• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hellojoseywales@gmail.com
    Unwashed
    • Dec 2015

First Elk taken with my 6.5 Grendel

After missing a nice possible shot at a running bull with a heavy non-ergonomic .308 last year, over the summer I set out to build a faster carbine setup.
    I'm very used to the M4 platform after many years of carrying them, and thusly I went with a 16" (I couldn't find a 14" manufacturer of 6.5 mm barrels) midlength gas system.

Using 123 grn Hornady SST rounds, at roughly 125 yards, the round was more than capable of taking a large elk.
    The round entered on the left behind the shoulder, between two ribs. It passed through both lungs and blasted through a rib on the opposite side and still exited the elk. A nice clean kill. The elk ran maybe 25 yards before collapsing dead.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
  • montana
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2011

Congratulation on a fine shot and filling the freezer with the best meat I know of. I have yet to eat any cow elk that wasn't tender and delicious. Great report on the 123 gr performance and some great pictures. Your Grendel looks like a nice set up. What scope and barrel did you go with if you don't mind telling us? Great hunting report, thank's for sharing.

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

Major congrats. That is great. What State did you get it in?
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• pkee
        Bloodstained
        • Nov 2014

Congrats .

Comment

• JASmith
          Chieftain
          • Sep 2014

Great work and excellent illustrations of bullet track!

If you haven't already, please add your experience to the Kockdown Survey -- http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...wn-quot-survey. --

Don't forget to include animal weight. It is a key metric for correlating bullet design and weight with types of animals.

That thread is developing into an excellent resource for those of us wanting to know what this cartridge will do with various types of game,
          shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
          -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• customcutter
            Warrior
            • Dec 2014

Congratulations, great write up and pics.

Comment

• smcdurmon
              Bloodstained
              • Feb 2015

Congrats

Comment

• Von Gruff
                Chieftain
                • Apr 2012

Just goes to show that our chosen cartridge is a very good killer. Capable hunters seem to be a large part of the forum and this has more than likely contributed to its success in the field and capable shooters have shown what it can do on the range.
                http://www.vongruffknives.com/

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Exodus 20:1-17
                Acts 4:10-12

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                  Administrator
                  • Feb 2011

Congrats and thanks much for talking the time to record and report!
                  :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• Jimmy
                    Unwashed
                    • Dec 2015

Nice

Comment

Unwashed
                      • Dec 2015

The optic is not super high-end, its a Primary Arms 1-6x scope with their combat reticle. decent glass. I prefer my Vortex's glass, but this one works.
                      The barrel is actually the 16" AR-Stoner barrel (with bolt combo) that was available on Midwayusa (and still is).

I just picked up a nicer quality barrel from alexander arms though. 16" midlength, fluted. slight weight savings.

""What scope and barrel did you go with if you don't mind telling us? Great hunting report, thank's for sharing. ""

Comment

Unwashed
                        • Dec 2015

Colorado.
                        Outside of Sweetwater area...

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                        Major congrats. That is great. What State did you get it in?

Comment

Unwashed
                          • Dec 2015

Originally posted by montana View Post
                          Congratulation on a fine shot and filling the freezer with the best meat I know of. I have yet to eat any cow elk that wasn't tender and delicious. Great report on the 123 gr performance and some great pictures. Your Grendel looks like a nice set up. What scope and barrel did you go with if you don't mind telling us? Great hunting report, thank's for sharing.
                          Here is a pic of the rifle itself. Rattle-can paint job done in the garage...[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

• montana
                            Chieftain
                            • Jun 2011

That came out great, appreciate the better picture. The coating and the way you set it up look's like a sweet little hunting rig. Your rattle can job looks great, I like the color and camo scheme.
                            I use cheaper Weaver scopes on some of my Grendel builds and they have worked just fine for my hunting needs. Thank's for posting your Grendel portrait.

Comment

• sneaky one
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2011

Yep, camo job is fine. Anything other than stock boring black ar is good to see. I too use scopes of less dollar-- I dropped my ar, & Leopold scope 24' to the ground 3 yrs. ago

It lost height zero- has been fine since- yet, do I trust it past targets? This years scope was an old school Tasco, I was in same stand as before--- new pull up rope, yet I dint feel lucky, well then that deer showed up---

Nice job HJW !

Comment

Working...
                              X