6.5 BPC AR Barrel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6.5 BPC AR Barrel?

If I was to purchase a 6.5 BPC AR Barrel from a custom barrel maker could I shoot the Hornady Grendel ammo through it? The barrel maker stated that their 6.5 BPC was basically the same as the 6.5 Grendel and should shoot the Hornady ammo just fine. Anyone here have experience with the 6.5 BPC? The barrel I'm looking at is a McGowen 20" barrel that will be used for deer hunting.

Thanks
    Shivesy
    Last edited by Guest; 06-21-2011, 08:56 PM.
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

No idea what the BPC is, why wouldn't you want a barrel chambered with a chamber guaranteed to shoot all the Grendel ammo available?

Comment

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
      No idea what the BPC is, why wouldn't you want a barrel chambered with a chamber guaranteed to shoot all the Grendel ammo available?

Any thoughts,
      Shivesy
      Last edited by Guest; 03-20-2011, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shivesy View Post
        If I was to purchase a 6.5 BPC AR Barrel from a custom barrel maker could I shoot the Hornady Grendel ammo through it? The barrel maker stated that their 6.5 BPC was basically the same as the 6.5 Grendel and should shoot the Hornady ammo just fine. Anyone here have experience with the 6.5 BPC? The barrel I'm looking at is a McGowen 20" barrel that will be used for deer hunting.

Thanks
        Shivesy
        The short answer is yes, you can shoot the Grendel ammo in the BPC chambered gun.
        You may want to get a drawing of the chambers and throat dims so you can better understand the differences.
        I built an AR with a .264 LBC chamber, and it shoots Grendel ammo fine. Loads will be more accurate after the brass is fireformed to the slightly different chamber, tho.

Comment

• longdayjake

The short answer to your question is yes you can shoot grendel ammo through a LBC barrel. My guess is that the BPC will work as well. Though I have never heard of it.

Comment

Thanks for the responces guys. I just received my rifle length vented handguards along with alot of other goodies for this upper build. I plan to have this upper mate up with my RRA lower for the time being. The barrel profile listed below is what I have in mind for this hunting rig. I've never spec'd out a custom barrel before so if you see anything that seems totally out of line please let me know.

Barrel profile is 0.840” under handguards, 0.750” Gas Block Diameter, 0.680” to muzzle. The barrel length is 20" including the M4 style barrel extension and is drilled for a rifle-length gas system. Fluting under handguard and forward of gas block. Approx.8 flutes was my thinking but suggestions are welcome.

AR15 Barrel
            Caliber- 6.5 BPC
            Length- 20" including barrel extension
            Finish- Stainless Steel Bead Blasted
            Twist- 1 - 8.75
            Crown- 11 degree (Do not thread for flash suppressor)
            .75 gas block
            Fluting under handguard and forward of gas block for weight reduction
            Rifle length hand guards will be used

Thanks,
            Shivesy

Comment

• bwaites
              • Mar 2011

Ok, gotcha!

Part of the reason I went with the Grendel initially was because it was unique. I guess trying the variations off the Grendel mean that the Grendel has arrived! We have an established base of Grendels, and now people think that they want something a little different!

As for the chamber "improvements", I am not sure they are. The tighter neck, and different shoulder angles were all investigated prior to Alexander Arms settling on the compound throat, and .300 neck. Bill Alexander saw no significant improvement in accuracy, with some problems with feeding in semi auto and auto modes with the tighter neck and standard throating.

In a bolt gun, a tighter neck probably would be better, at least most competitors believe that, but with a semi/full auto, I'm not so sure.

BUT....one of the great things is we are all free to explore and make our own decisions! (Our own mistakes, too! I've made lots!)

Comment

• longdayjake

Let us know how it shoots.

Comment

Well after 13 weeks McGowen sent the barrel that I ordered from them. I was quoted 6 to 8 week by Dan but I'm happy it's here none the less. I'm a little picky and there are a few things that I wish were a little different . This was my first AR barrel that I have ever ordered so I'll just chalk it up as experience because I'm not planning on sending it back to the factory, I want to shoot this thing. No groups yet cause I just assembled it late last night. Here are some pics.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• MedicMan218

Any update on a range report?

Comment

• jwilson1985

its odd that McGowen offers the 264lbc,and this 6.5bpc which this is the first ive heard of it. so many variations of the grendel cartridge has come about that ive lost track lol.

please do a range report when you get the chance. always interesting to see how all the variations do.

Comment

Working...
                      X