• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stanc
    Banned
    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post
    We've gone through hell trying to bend and tweak the design to match an arbitrary weight number. Finally, I said, "Just machine the bullet as drawn, and let the (copper and aluminum
    Something just occurred to me, in regard to the aluminum tip on Cerberus. When I was heavily into pistol shooting many years ago, I discovered that some calibers (like .380 ACP and .45 ACP) of Winchester Silvertip ammo would produce a bright flash when the bullets hit a steel plate.

I subsequently learned that's because the low-velocity calibers had aluminum jackets, and aluminum is slightly pyrophoric.

So, Cerberus may very well exhibit the same effect, thereby offering the possibility of acting as a "spotter" round when shooting steel.

Comment

• JASmith
      Chieftain
      • Sep 2014

It would be neat if one of us could do the test with both water and gel. Sneaky also suggested we use a stack of plywood as a backstop to catch the pass throughs. This should work if the bullet has stopped expanding before it leaves the medium.

Water, being a hair more dense than gelatin, will tend to open the bullet sooner.

The slightly greater strength and viscosity of the gel tends to keep the bullet from expanding as much as it would in water.

Hence water is OK as long as we are looking for threhold expansion velovity but won't necessarily replicate expansion in game as does gelatin.
      shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
      -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• sneaky one
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Most all of the tests have been set - as to how & where. Just need to get ready. Get it done. Water and gels., to be done ASAP. Load workup very soon.

In an 18" tube , we should hit 2850- 2900 fairly easily. If not, for sure in the 20". Work to be done!

Comment

• stanc
          Banned
          • Apr 2011

Originally posted by JASmith View Post
          It would be neat if one of us could do the test with both water and gel. Sneaky also suggested we use a stack of plywood as a backstop to catch the pass throughs.
          I used phone books to back up the water jugs when I did expansion testing. Unlike plywood, they're free.

Also, plywood usually comes in large sheets, so time and effort are necessary to saw them into sections of manageable size, while phone books are a usable size as is.

Plus, plywood splinters when shot, so requires extra care when handled after being shot, and makes somewhat of a mess to clean up afterward.

Another possibility when doing gel tests, is to put one or more jugs of water between the gel block and the phone books, to help slow the bullet down while minimizing damage to the projectile.

Comment

• sneaky one
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Good Lorde

Comment

• customcutter
              Warrior
              • Dec 2014

How much water depth does it take to stop a 6.5 Grendel? My pool is 14X28X6 deep! I'm thinking 30 or 45 degree angle could easily increase the depth from 6' to 9' or 12'? Of course it's hard to set up a chronograph....LOL

Comment

• Dugan324
                Unwashed
                • Jan 2016

Sub'd

Comment

• JASmith
                  Chieftain
                  • Sep 2014

Originally posted by customcutter View Post
                  How much water depth does it take to stop a 6.5 Grendel? My pool is 14X28X6 deep! I'm thinking 30 or 45 degree angle could easily increase the depth from 6' to 9' or 12'? Of course it's hard to set up a chronograph....LOL
                  Go for it!

I did that a long time ago and got a beautifly mushroomed .348 Winchester cast lead bullet.

The bullet should be slow enough that you won't chip the concrete.

Of course recovering all the fine stuff might require a close inspection of your filter!
                  shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
                  -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• bwaites
                    • Mar 2011

Pictures yet?

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                      Administrator
                      • Feb 2011

Attached Files
                      :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• D.Davis
                        Warrior
                        • Sep 2013

I am ready to buy some! How soon? Dave.

Comment

• stanc
                          Banned
                          • Apr 2011

Well done, John!

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                            Administrator
                            • Feb 2011

send me an email. Payment can be either check or PayPal.
                            :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• bwaites
                              • Mar 2011

Looking very good!

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
                                Warrior
                                • Oct 2012

I am eager to try the 90 grain ones (and even smaller than that in future if you try it).

Comment

Working...
                                X