X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Drift
    Warrior
    • Nov 2014

I think StanC missed the point about the Die Hard movie(s). To enjoy them you have to "suspend disbelief " about a great many things; including telling friend from foe and just what one man can accomplish... But they wen't anti terrorist movies, they were love stories. In the first movie John McClain first appeared as a ring finger with a wedding ring on it. In another movie he turns down a woman by tapping his wedding ring on a bar. Love/marriage -and a mans decision to take any risk to protect his wife and family was what came through all that action adventure. Not that asking the question he did was wrong, but the movies premis was that a man should be willing to walk into any hell for his family. Those kinds of movies unite us all in common values both as a nation and as families and indeed as men.

Comment

• JASmith
      Chieftain
      • Sep 2014

Well said! +1

That applies to both the love and honor message and to the need suspend belief with respect to the overt entertainment parts of a sstory like that.
      shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
      -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• stanc
        Banned
        • Apr 2011

Oh, fer cryin' out loud. The thread isn't a critique of Die Hard (my favorite Christmas movie, BTW ).

The title was chosen because so many gun owners these days fantasize about being the hero in a terrorist attack a la San Bernardino.

In reality, there's a greater probability of being struck by lightning, than of being in the middle of a terrorist shooting.

Comment

• LR1955
          Super Moderator
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by stanc View Post
          Oh, fer cryin' out loud. The thread isn't a critique of Die Hard (my favorite Christmas movie, BTW ).

The title was chosen because so many gun owners these days fantasize about being the hero in a terrorist attack a la San Bernardino.

In reality, there's a greater probability of being struck by lightning, than of being in the middle of a terrorist shooting.
          Absolutely Correct on both counts.

Keep it focused,guys.

LR1955

Comment

• bwaites
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by stanc View Post

Depends! In California, Chicago, New York, maybe so because there are so few CCW holders in comparison to population. In Arizona, there were several at the Gabby Giffords shooting, and they were responsible partly for ending it, possibly before others were shot. They were situationally aware enough to act without drawing their own weapon, which is almost always much less complicated!

Comment

• Drift
              Warrior
              • Nov 2014

At one time perhaps an American had a greater chance of being struck by lightning then being in the middle of of a terrorist shooting. Now, that same persons child if walking down that same street his father did is at signficent risk being in a terrorist shooting.....In Pakistan, in Syria in Lebanon, in Iraq in the Sinai. And lots of other place the risk is growing. You dont need to be Weatherman to know when its raining.

Comment

• stanc
                Banned
                • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Drift View Post
                At one time perhaps an American had a greater chance of being struck by lightning then being in the middle of of a terrorist shooting.
                Still does. http://timelines.latimes.com/deadlie...ting-rampages/
                You dont need to be Weatherman to know when its raining.
                Yup. So far it ain't even sprinkling.

Comment

• Drift
                  Warrior
                  • Nov 2014

Well it rained a little in that Paris nightclub; and again in that gay bar in Orlando. Too bad John McClane was not there to help the innocents, like he was on that French train.

Comment

• sneaky one
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

So much unnoticed, or never spoke of- Anger out there... In response, I recommend all USA citizens get a CCW. Carry it. Train with it. Know it well. Take some 3D virtual classes- shoot at potential target- 3 D bad Guys . Targets- something....

Learn it, know it , live it. Don't be paranoid, be receptive to all that's going on around you at all times- ABAP. Live in the fine line , between defense & offense. always be as ready as u can.

It's almost the wild west here-again.... defend you and yours- if a mass shoot event starts, and YOU can minimize carnage--safely-- Do It ! Just be aware of the intended target-s.

TRAIN FIRSTLY !!!

Comment

• Drift
                      Warrior
                      • Nov 2014

Hay StanC, I heard it rained in the south of France. I am told that in some places on the boardwalk the wet stuff was ankle deep.

Comment

• Rickc
                        Warrior
                        • Aug 2016

One thing you don't want to do is become the target of law enforcement trying.to get control of the situation.

For me first would be cover and concealment. A defensive position. Then targets of.opportunity. Defend as many people as I can. Watch for the.appearance of law enforcement and avoid any action that might make them target me!

Comment

Working...
                        X