• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

2 Coyotes with AA Incrusion 16" Upper & IR Hunter MKII Thermal Sight

Video... https://youtu.be/hNJS-hSulG4

A buddy with more experience on the IR Hunter MKII had warned me about letting the battery get low and I was getting close to shut-down when this coyote popped out. I was letting the battery run low because I am doing battery testing as part of T&E for TCT. It was close and the unit shut down about 3 minutes after the shot.

Anyhow, when I first spied this guy, he was watching the deer that were feeding in the food plot. I blew my call once to get his attention as I got the carbine in the window and then blew it again to help keep his attention and hopefully help keep him from trotting after the deer. Standing still was great. Coming toward me would have worked well. Going after the deer would have been less optimal.

He stayed still and the shot dropped him in place, DDRT. The Hornady SST 123 gr. 6.5 Grendel entered the right upper breast/base of neck area and travel diagonally through the body and exited the upper left side after traveling through 15" or so of body. It was a nice yote, good, soft pelt.

After the battery change, I had forgotten to turn on the Video Out on the MKII when a large coyote appeared at the north end of the field I was watching. He was moving away from me and had gone 20 or 30 yards before I had the carbine on him. He stopped and turned, nose up and sniffing the air when I launched a round into him. The shot entered just forward of the left humerus and exited in a similar position on the right side, burrowing a quarter-sized exit tunnel. As noted in the video, my longest coyote shot and no video for it. mad

However, he was probably the largest coyote I have taken and he came in at 39 lbs. So all in all, not a bad evening with 2 coyotes down and the landowner being quite pleased.
    Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

Congrats! Nice kills. Battery life is the biggest issue with the military TWS's as well.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• customcutter
      Warrior
      • Dec 2014

Good shooting, 00Spy. Looks like they had some nice pelts as well. Hate to see Angry Birds Monologue edited out, got to keep it child friendly. But I'm sure he doesn't like yotes.

Comment

• Neale
        Unwashed
        • Dec 2015

i would have expected a bigger exit than what it appeared to be on the first coyote. Not a ridiculous amount of pelt damage it looks like, very good!

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
          Chieftain
          • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Neale View Post
          i would have expected a bigger exit than what it appeared to be on the first coyote. Not a ridiculous amount of pelt damage it looks like, very good!
          You know, on that smaller yote, the bullet had traveled through 15" or more of tissue before exiting and had probably lost a lot of mass along the way.

Compare that with this image of the 39 lb coyote at 190 yards. The bullet maybe only traveled through 8" of flesh and it look like somebody bored a hole into his shoulder with a 7/8" drill and wiggled the bit around some. The permanent wound cavity was impressive.

Kill a hog. Save the planet.
          My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• pkee
            Bloodstained
            • Nov 2014

Nice shooting . You get the net long shot on video

Comment

• jawbone
              Warrior
              • Jan 2012

loved that shot. interesting scope layout, too.

Comment

Working...
              X