• Brett
    Bloodstained
    • Feb 2017

Nice chart! I just printed it to add to my reloading info folder. Thanks

Comment

• PGW Steve
      Bloodstained
      • Sep 2017

Thanks for the repost, I haven't seen this till now!! Well this just showed I'm wasting my time with CFE 223. I live in Manitoba where winter temps are -35C and summer +35C.

Comment

• bj139
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2017

This is a great chart.
        Thanks, NF.

Comment

• Six5x39
          Warrior
          • Sep 2017

about the burn rate ... for 16" barrel , is it best to stick with fast burning powder ?

Comment

• RiverRider
            Warrior
            • Oct 2017

Homer Powley used to say that all the powder that was destined to burn would do so in the first few inches of bullet travel. I think that's been pretty much tossed out the window as of late, but in MY opinion you're still better off using the slower burning numbers. In general, the powder that gives you the highest velocity from a 26-inch barrel will also give you the highest velocity from a 9-inch barrel. I believe this is true for cartridges in the .30-06 class on down.

Comment

• lrgrendel
              Warrior
              • Jul 2013

So this thread got me thinking!

The published velocities and bullet drops are really worthless on the boxes of factory ammo?
              Maybe for 100/200 yd shots it’s ok but someone shooting any longer say at +110F or -30F the info would be so inaccurate it would not be worth using?

Unless all factory powders are really temperature sensitive.....

Comment

• NugginFutz
                Chieftain
                • Aug 2013

The drop #'s printed on some boxes of rifle ammunition are based on a given barrel, at standard pressure and temperature. Go to sea level, with the 22 or 24" barrel, shoot at 69'F and your results should be very close to those on said box flap.

As a rule, the match and hunting ammo has to be relatively stable, or customers would be complaining and sales would suffer. I've not heard any ammunition manufacturers specifically state what their #'s might be, but many do claim stability as one of the reasons to go with their products. Hornady claims "...
                Having said that, it's a fair bet that the best powders will show some variance if shot at the extremes you mention, Likewise, shooting at 14,000' ASL is going to give you phenomenal performance, as opposed to sea level. It's all a matter of managing your expectations and understanding the limitations of the product.

As for my own loads,
                I don't have a single dope card for my most reliable, stable load of Varget or 8208 that I can use anywhere. It just isn't possible.

Hope this helps.
                If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Sticks
                  Chieftain
                  • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Six5x39 View Post
                  about the burn rate ... for 16" barrel , is it best to stick with fast burning powder ?
                  Originally posted by RiverRider View Post
                  Homer Powley used to say that all the powder that was destined to burn would do so in the first few inches of bullet travel. I think that's been pretty much tossed out the window as of late, but in MY opinion you're still better off using the slower burning numbers. In general, the powder that gives you the highest velocity from a 26-inch barrel will also give you the highest velocity from a 9-inch barrel. I believe this is true for cartridges in the .30-06 class on down.
                  Short answer - No. Faster powder in a shorter barrel does equate to best option.

I did all manner of reading up on that and that was the general consensus. One article did some testing with all things being equal, two barrels (one long, one short) two powders (opposite ends of the burn rate chart). Both barrels actually got better performance out of the slower burning powder. IIRG is was 5.56 that they were testing on.

So why is there fast rifle powder?....Everything has it's application. Barrel length is not part of it.

Having said that - IIRC StoneHendge noted that with some of the powders that he was using, the heat zones in the barrel changed. Some were hot at the chamber, others were hot at the muzzle. I am not sure where the ideal "hot spot" would be. Logic says equal temps all the way down the pipe, but my math and science ended at the 9th grade level.
                  Last edited by Sticks; 11-10-2017, 08:18 AM.
                  Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• RiverRider
                    Warrior
                    • Oct 2017

It might be worth pointing out that there might be reasons to choose a little bit faster burning powder, and I can think of two: one would be muzzle flash considerations, and the other would be port pressure considerations in gas-operated semiautos.

By and large, case capacity, bore diameter, and bullet sectional density dictate proper powder application.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                      Super Moderator
                      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by lrgrendel View Post
                      So this thread got me thinking!

The published velocities and bullet drops are really worthless on the boxes of factory ammo?
                      Maybe for 100/200 yd shots it’s ok but someone shooting any longer say at +110F or -30F the info would be so inaccurate it would not be worth using?

Unless all factory powders are really temperature sensitive.....
                      Within 300yds, you're looking at maybe an inch or two in most cases.
                      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• mdewitt71
                        Warrior
                        • Dec 2016

Cool chart, found on a Google search and it brought me back here.
                        Figured I'd bump to share in case others had not seen it.
                        ― George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                        X