• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stanc
    Banned
    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
    Yep, another belt fed with all the great ballistics of the 7.62x39! That's a winner, for sure! Accurate out to 150 yards or so, (well, maybe 300). LOL!

Absolutely NO advantage over 5.56 belt feds with even less effective range and ammo that costs more than twice as much, thats a breakthrough?
    Wow. What an incredible distortion of my words. I never said that .300 BLK is by any measure superior to 5.56 for belt-feds, let alone that it's a breakthrough.
    Two completely different animals, one a cartridge with extended range and accuracy, the other a short range cartridge that shines as a subsonic.
    Absolutely. But, if you had to go to war tomorrow morning, which would you rather have: The .300 BLK M249 that actually exists, or the 6.5 Grendel M249 that is no more than a dream?

Comment

• bwaites
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by stanc View Post
      Wow. What an incredible distortion of my words. I never said that .300 BLK is by any measure superior to 5.56 for belt-feds, let alone that it's a breakthrough.

Absolutely. But, if you had to go to war tomorrow morning, which would you rather have: The .300 BLK M249 that actually exists, or the 6.5 Grendel M249 that is no more than a dream?
      I'd point out that in the context of the thread, the original poster was comparing the Grendel and the .300 BLK in a 16" barrel AR and their associated velocities and energy at the muzzle and downrange, it had nothing to do with a belt fed.

As for distortion, I didn't distort anything, I simply stated the facts when it came to the .300 BLK. Its a VERY niche cartridge, and the fact that you can get it to run in a rifle designed for its parent case is no real surprise or breakthrough, is it?

Given the choice between the .300 BLK that exists and the 5.56 that exists, I'd take the 5.56 everytime. I'm NOT confident that the .300 BLK M249 will even run consistently. I found it interesting that the belt in that video was so short, wonder why that was?

BUT....the .300 BLK as a belt fed for carry is a non starter regardless, and overweight, obese non starter at that. As hinted at in the video, it was done as a one-off for some kind of "I'll show you!" kind of thing.
      Last edited by bwaites; 01-21-2012, 06:38 PM.

Comment

• stanc
        Banned
        • Apr 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
        I stopped by DSA's booth at SHOT again yesterday and reminded them that Grendel steel case is around the corner, which will make it the most attractive caliber to do in a belt fed conversion due to cost.
        Good pitch! Let's hope they run with it.
        .300 AAC in a SAW or Shrike?????
        They say it's loads of fun to shoot subsonic suppressed.

Comment

• stanc
          Banned
          • Apr 2011

Given the choice between the .300 BLK that exists and the 5.56 that exists, I'd take the 5.56 everytime.
          Well, sure. But that doesn't answer my question.
          I'm NOT confident that the .300 BLK M249 will even run consistently. I found it interesting that the belt in that video was so short, wonder why that was?
          No idea. How 'bout a couple hundred rounds?

P.S. Gotta love those Texans. No way you could get away with that here in Kalifornia.
          Last edited by stanc; 01-21-2012, 06:53 PM.

Comment

I thought about a 300BLK, but didnt really get the point, no offence, but when I go out with something, I want to have longer range as an option, those are shorter range guns right? Thats why I went 6.5G over 6.8 or 300.

Comment

• stanc
              Banned
              • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Deezil View Post
              I thought about a 300BLK, but didnt really get the point, no offence, but when I go out with something, I want to have longer range as an option, those are shorter range guns right? Thats why I went 6.5G over 6.8 or 300.
              Yes, shorter range. If someone wants long range, then .300 BLK is not the way to go. But, for an SBR, I'd choose .300 BLK over 6.5 Grendel and 6.8 SPC.

There is one thing 300 Blackout and 6.5 Grendel have in common: The ability to use long-ogive, streamlined bullets.

Comment

As for distortion, I didn't distort anything, I simply stated the facts when it came to the .300 BLK. Its a VERY niche cartridge
                300 BLK is the opposite of a niche cartridge. It is a very general purpose and versatile cartridge - and is a power and terminal effects upgrade from 5.56mm that still has 30 rounds in a normal magazine. The fact that it can be suppressed easily is a niche aspect, but that is in addition to the normal features.

In the last 15 months, over 80 companies have jumped on board.

Alexander Arms is very interested in it:

I put updates here: https://www.facebook.com/300aacblackout

SSG Daniel Horner of the USAMU used the new 300 AAC Blackout (300 BLK) cartridge to win first place overall in the Tactical Optics division of the 2011 USPSA Multigun National Championship, held outside of Las Vegas, Nevada.

Cheap ammo:

Last edited by Guest; 02-02-2012, 10:04 PM.

Comment

different strokes for different folks. I wouldnt trade my Grendel for one

Comment

I am also unimpressed by the 300 AAC Blackout. Barnes appears to have used pistol bullet manufacturing processes to get the expansion shown in the pictures.

The Grendel gets at least the same performance as is shown above at 300 yards and is clearly superior beyond that.

Furthermore we don't have to aim a "mile" over the target to get a hit at 300 yards.

Comment

I think 300 blk have a place on short distance battle for military & swat/police (how about for long distance? ) but for civilian I will keep my 5.56 for blaster and 6.5 grendel to have fun on shooting

Comment

• bwaites
                        • Mar 2011

I'm impressed that a post by someone as obscure as I warrants a response from Mr. Silvers. For those unaware of it, please understand that Mr. Silvers is the leading proponent and developer of the cartridge, so he has a significant interest in seeing its expansion.

While I agree that it is an interesting cartridge, it is VERY much a niche cartridge. Simply because companies produce something widely doesn't mean it does not fill a niche. There are millions of .380 pistols manufactured every year, and it very much fills a niche in the self defense market, but to believe that it will EVER be accepted as a widespread, primary, and generally accepted manstopper is ludicrous. The 300 BLK very much fills that same kind of niche.

Any rifle cartridge which has exterior ballistics inferior to the 5.56 and similar to the 7.62x39, seems like it might only be described in todays world as a niche cartridge. That's not all bad; the Grendel, 6.8, and many other AR cartridges are niche cartridges.

I love the subsonic characteristics, but I load 30-30's with essentially the same supersonic exterior ballistics, and that cartridge has been around for over 100 years!

Alexander Arms may indeed be interested in the cartridge, but that doesn't change the fact that it is still simply a variant offering which chambers in the AR. For that matter, I would be surprised if AA WASN'T interested, since being able to market to multiple different niches in the market is critical to survival in todays fractured rifle world. Every AR manufacturer around is looking for spots to fill in their lineup, and AA, as perhaps the premier small arms niche marketer, is quick to see those gaps.

In fact, in some ways AA might have invented the niche market, with one of the first 5.45 variations of the AR, (the Genghis, which is no longer marketed), then the Beowulf, then the Grendel, then the .17 HMR. AA has repeatedly found ways to bring cartridges to market in the AR15 platform that have not been marketed, or only scarcely marketed, before. I expect we will continue to see new and exciting offerings from them.

Comment

• BjornF16
                          Chieftain
                          • Jun 2011

I have a great complement of ARs: 10.5" BLK, 2x16" 5.56, 18/20" Grendels...who needs anything else? (except a bolt rifle in Grendel)
                          LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
                          Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

• jwilson1985

i have a hard time seeing the military switching to it . loki talked grendel with them till erik was horse and they still wanted a 556. this was for designated marksman rifles mind you

Comment

I would have to agree with Bwaites... I think it's a great round, but it has it's place. Are there better rounds out there, yes. Is this better than some, yes. Every cartridge has it's place, and this one is no different.

Will I get one, no. I have my Grendel as well as my 5.56. I don't need it. Someone that doesn't have those, and wants the latest and greatest, they might be interested, but not this guy.

Comment

• stanc
                                Banned
                                • Apr 2011

Originally posted by jwilson1985 View Post
                                i have a hard time seeing the military switching to it .
                                The military (as in Army and Marines) won't switch to .300 BLK, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if SOCOM personnel start using it for some missions.
                                loki talked grendel with them till erik was horse and they still wanted a 556. this was for designated marksman rifles mind you
                                Of course they won't use 6.5 Grendel for DMRs, as long as 5.56 is the standard round. You'll have to convince them to completely replace 5.56 with 6.5, for carbines, rifles, IARs, and LMGs, too.

Comment

Working...
                                X