6.5 Grendel VS 300 AAC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Probably the best designed .270win rifle is the Remington 760 or 7600, much can be done with that and a trigger job is super easy.

A pump action rifle with free floated bbl, what is there not to like?

Besides having an action nearly as fast as a semi-auto.

Comment

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
      Joe,
      That's funny that you mention .260 Rem versus .270 Winchester. I recently purchased two different projectile types for my .270, since there are match pills available now from Sierra and Berger. Sierra makes the .277 135 SMK, and Berger makes the .277 130 and 140 Hunting VLD's. I got the 140 Bergers, and ran both G1 and G7 forms through Berger's ballistic program. The .270 needs at least 250fps more MV to match the .260 pushing the 6.5mm 140gr Berger VLD, but the 6.5 has quite a bit less wind drift at 1000 yards.

That being said, if you really push the .270 to 3000 fps and faster, you can get under 8 Mils of elevation for 1000 yard impact, which is pretty nice, but I can do that with the .260 Rem and much less velocity, like I said. You can tell which is the superior caliber for aerodynamics by just looking at the 6.5's versus .277's. The .260 starts to deliver more muzzle energy and flatter trajectory at 500 yards when comparing the 140 Berger VLD's in 6.5 and .277. It takes around 60 grains or more of powder for the .270 to launch at those velocities, and a long action as well. At least I have some use for the H4831 powder I bought now in a case that can suck it up. The .270's attraction is that it delivers more mass per area of impact, so it will probably ring steel nicely. I'll see soon enough!
      We are getting nearly 3200fps on a 130 SST with awesome groups. The Remington 760 is a slick old gun if you know how to tweak it just right. Plus you do not have to break your cheek weld while firing and tracking for another shot is needed.

Comment

Originally posted by warped View Post
        We are getting nearly 3200fps on a 130 SST with awesome groups. The Remington 760 is a slick old gun if you know how to tweak it just right. Plus you do not have to break your cheek weld while firing and tracking for another shot is needed.
        3200 with 130 gr? Sounds interesting --

My dad taught me to work both bolt and levers while keeping the rifle in position, including the cheek weld.

Took a bit of practice, but the actions got a lot smoother too!

Comment

Here is some interesting info for you then, I forget the powder my friend loads for our .270win's but it might be this or something close.
          Technical Information
          Caliber: 270 Winchester
          Bullet Weight: 130 Grains
          Bullet Style: SST

Case Type: Brass

Ballistics Information:
          Muzzle Velocity: 3200 fps
          Muzzle Energy: 2955 ft. lbs.

Comment

• recon562001

Coming back from the 270. I am going with the 6.5 Creedmoor its going to be a bolt gun so I do not have to worry about the increased size of a AR10 platform also the Creedmoor is nearly a ballistic twin of the 260, will feed consistently from 308 mags, and takes the same bullets I already load my Grendel with.

If I end up needing any more gun then that I have a 30-06 witch will and has taken most North American game, and if I still need to step up its going to have to be in the 375H&H class.

Comment

I like your plans B & C.

I understand that the primary motivator for the Creedmore is to give that little bit of extra space needed to seat long, heavy bullets (AMAX & VLD) in the .308 magazine length. Hornady made up the loss of powder volume by using a blended propellant like SuperFormance, hence factory loads are close to the .260 Remington in muzzle velocity.

Are you reloading for these calibers?

Comment

30-06 is truly not more capable than the .260rem. it runs out of gas sooner and is not nearly as sleek or flat shooting.

Comment

Ah, the beginnings of a new form of the 70+ year long .270 vs '06 debate!

I haven't run the comparative ballistics yet, but I suspect that the .260 is indeed flatter shooting than the '06 depending on bullet and load choices. There are also some loads that will closely match the trajectories. I would also agree that the .260, the Creedmore and the classic European 6.5's will take about any game animal you'd care to consider. Not so sure that most folks would consider a rifle with 6.5 caliber bullets appropriate for Brown Bear, Lions, elephants, etc.

The context of the comment laying out the '06 and the 375 as fall-backs suggests an interest in larger game. One's confidence in taking large bullets at moderate range is typically higher when using heavy bullets in the '06 or .375.

Comment

If you guys reload, and you are looking for cheaper brass, go with converting the 7.62x39 brass to Grendel. I plan on doing it, but have not gotten there yet. I'm not sure if anyone has done it, but if you have, can you give some input on it? I was going to get some, but the only brass I could find (with the company I was going to put my order through) was Lapua, and it was just as expensive to get 7.62x39 as it was Hornady Grendel... So I will wait to get some cheaper stuff to try it out and see if I can save some pennies on brass. I was told that the biggest thing is to get a neck trimmer to make sure you don't have it too thick... So I can leave some notes on what I find out when I do it, or someone else can give us an opinion on that.

Comment

If you consider your time and effort, that brass is not cheaper than Hornady brass.

Keep that 7.62x39mm brass for your AK or SKS, you will be glad you did, if reloaded it really does perform a lot better than the offerings in factory ammo.

Comment

• recon562001

Originally posted by JASmith View Post
                        Ah, the beginnings of a new form of the 70+ year long .270 vs '06 debate!...

...The context of the comment laying out the '06 and the 375 as fall-backs suggests an interest in larger game. One's confidence in taking large bullets at moderate range is typically higher when using heavy bullets in the '06 or .375.
                        I know right! Lets just agree they can take game and some of us like one over the other.

What I meant was the Creedmoor will take any thing I intend to hunt as long as I do my part and put the bullet where it needs to go.

Most of the arguments about long range and targets at 1000 yards do not apply to me. I know my ability and I also know that I will not be shooting beyond 400 meters at game (I may be opening another can of worms with that statement). That is just my limit to where I can ethically engage game.

You are right if I ever do go on a brown bear hunt or on a safari for the big five I will need to but that is another matter entirely.

And yes I reload for 5.56 and 6.5 Grendel I also plan on reloading for the creedmoor.

Comment

Originally posted by warped View Post
                          If you consider your time and effort, that brass is not cheaper than Hornady brass.

Keep that 7.62x39mm brass for your AK or SKS, you will be glad you did, if reloaded it really does perform a lot better than the offerings in factory ammo.
                          I got an AK and don't do accuracy with it. I just have the steel case surplus. I don't think it's worth reloading for in my case. I don't really do anything with it other than go out playing and having fun. If I decide to put some decent optics on it and go for accuracy, then I might do brass and reload, but for now, just a toy...

Comment

Originally posted by recon562001 View Post
                            ...If I end up needing any more gun then that I have a 30-06 witch will and has taken most North American game, and if I still need to step up its going to have to be in the 375H&H class.
                            Reloading will give more flexibility for the suggestion here, but comparing factory loads makes the point. This information is part of an article I'm writing called "Paired Rifles for Practice and Hunting." It is a rewrite of an existing article: http://shootersnotes.com/articles/companion-rifles/. Among other things the ballistics data in the old article is no longer as current as I'd like.

Look at the 120 gr AMAX load for the Creedmore -- drop at 500 yds is 41.4" for the Hornady standard sight-in.

Look at the 165 gr GMX Superformance in 30-06 -- drop at 500 yds is 41.7" (The interbond is 40.7").

This means that by using the same model of glass on both bolt rifles, almost everything you do for Kentucky Windage and Tennessee elevation for the 6.5 Creedmore in this load will apply to the loads shown for the 30-06.

This will work at least out to the 400 meters you are interested in and will improve your shooting skills!

Nifty huh!

BTW Sighting in for the same drop at 400 meters will assure that small differences between published data and the performance in your rifles will be washed over.

Comment

I have no problems loading any of the VLD type projectiles into mag length with the .260 Rem. To engage the lands with secant ogive VLDs like the Berger 140's, you will really be pushing COAL outside a lot of bolt-gun mags too. The 139gr Scenar, 140 SMK, 140 Berger, 142 SMK all fit just fine in the .260 Rem, and I can buy factory brass ready to go from Remington, 7mm-08 Winchester brass necked-down, Lapua .260 Rem brass now, Nosler, and Norma. Creedmore brass is only available from Hornady.

.260 Rem has become the standard cartridge for long-range shooters using short actions now. Not only does it smoke .30-06 ballistics, but .300 Win Mag as well, especially when you look at wind drift. The .30 cals are dying out really fast as shooters realize that you just don't get comparable ballistics without excessive gains in powder, bullet weight, and punishing recoil. The only short-action, long range calibers that out-do the 6.5x47 and .260 Rem are the 6.5x284 (bye-bye barrel life), and the 7mm WSM pushing the 180 Berger VLD's. This is why so many people are building .260's in droves.

I'm trying to get Lapua to make a .260 Palma with small rifle primers, so brass life will be extended even further, and pressures will be higher. At the end of the day, brass availability is what made me choose the .260 Rem over 6.5x47 and 6.5 Creedmore. The Lapua is probably the best performer, but only has one brass source, at over $1.10 a piece. I've had excellent results with necked-down 7mm-08 in my auto-loader, getting at least 5 loadings with high pressures.

Comment

In deference to the comments from LRRPF52 about the .260 Rem vs 6.5 Creedmore, here's a couple of numbers to consider for the .260 Remington:

.260 Rem Premier 120 gr Accutip, drop at 500 yds = 41.7 with 200 yd zero (Effectively the same as the post above for the Creedmore).
                                .260 Rem Federal 120 gr Nslr Ballistic Tip 500 yds = 42.1 with 200 yd zero (the same within any reasonable accuracy standard)
                                .260 Rem Federal 120 gr Triple Shock x at 500 yds = 44.7 with 200 yd zero (less than 0.6 MOA difference from 30-06 larger game loads)

BTW can do a similar story with the Grendel 123 gr AMAX and the .375 H&H Magnum Federal with 260 gr Accubond bullet. But at least one is likely to be the long bolt...
                                Last edited by Guest; 09-30-2011, 03:16 AM. Reason: Add Grendel /375 Comparison

Comment

Working...
                                X