X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

Zak Smith did a great writeup on these three here:

Final result for those that don't feel like reading: There is nothing the Creedmoor or 6.5x47 will do that the .260 won't.

Advantage in brass to the .260, and small primer .260 brass would make it conclusively .260 in my thoughts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
      ...There is nothing the Creedmoor or 6.5x47 will do that the .260 won't...
      But you won't have the neat names---

Comment

• recon562001

[QUOTE=bwaites;11405]

Final result for those that don't feel like reading: There is nothing the Creedmoor or 6.5x47 will do that the .260 won't.

/QUOTE]

Yea my gun smith talked me in to the 260rem last night. So that is what hes going to build the rifle in.

Comment

I don't know why they ever made the 6.5 Creedmore, to be honest. Everyone will either chamber in .260 Rem, or 6.5x47 Lapua. The Lapua is a higher pressure cartridge that is meant to work with a certain set of powders. I used to think the .260 Rem had too much case capacity, until I started using the Hodgon's powders. Zak told me most long range shooters using .260 Rem are using H4350, H4831SC, and RL17. He competes in or runs several invitation-only precision rifle field matches, like Steel Safari, and sees a lot of the Nation's top shooters when it comes to practical long-range marksmanship.

I had this same discussion with a buddy of mine who was a sniper in 10th Mountain Division. The only reason he chambered in Creedmore was that his brother-in-law is already set-up for it..brass, dies, etc. I started my load development with N500 series powders before I discovered that they were bad news for throats and barrels. I started playing with Hodgon's H4831, and immediately got a consistent string of sub .75 and sub .5 MOA groups, finding several accuracy nodes with the 139gr Scenars into 5-round groups, starting with a .65 MOA string right off the bat, and several .4 MOA groups. I'm now working with H4350 and AA4350, with 139gr Scenars, 142gr SMK's, 140gr AMAX's, and a bullet I didn't know exists...the Barnes 140gr Match Burner. They all weighed exactly 140.3gr, with no deviation, and they all appear and measure to exact external dimensions.

Most (90%) practical long range shooters running .260's are using either 139gr Scenars, or 142gr SMK's. The 139gr Scenar is the most popular long-range 6.5mm bullet over the pond as well.

Comment

+1 Reloader 17 in my 26" .260 Remington on a Savage Model 12 action.

I suspect the 6.5 Creedmoor is what we laughingly say at work, "Forget the delicious steak. Sell them more sizzle!"

Hoot

Comment

My buddy Ray uses Reloader 17 in a 25" .260 Rem with the 139gr Scenars at 2980 fps, and has made 1st-round hits on steel at 1450 yards with it. I'm not sure if I should mess with Reloader 17 in my auto-loader until I get an adjustable gas block, since people are getting an average of 100-150fps advantage over H4831sc and H4350 in .260 Rem. I made a mistake by not going with one right off the bat when I had GA Precision build it for me. I just need to have a smith drill and tap the block for a set screw over the gas port.

Comment

• jwilson1985

the 300 with a pantom on it is awesome 8.5-16"barrel is ll you need...but like above idk why the keep coming out with calibers

Comment

• stanc
                  Banned
                  • Apr 2011

Speaking of .300 BLK, have you seen the AAC Honey Badger?

Comment

that honey badger video was funny as hell.

Comment

• jwilson1985

umm that stock is really close to loki design i may need to bring that up ..but none the less funny video

Comment

From what I have read on the 6.5 Creedmoor vs the .260 is they are pretty much identical, but the 260 has a touch better drop (.3 mils at 1K) but the CM has less pressure, giving better barrel life. Now the barrel life is a huge debate as there are competitors that claim to have over 6,000 rounds and still got match grade accuracy, so I think the biggest thing is going to be preference... I think I would like to get a Creedmoor...

Comment

• jwilson1985

see ive heard from a guy using a creedmore that he was getting a little a 500 b4 his groups starded going to shat but i know nothing about the load data hes using it may be past the raged edge as most benchrest stuff........the stock on that 300 is still bugging the crap out of me thats a loki stock copy with a damn cover over it...wheres JAsmith he knows all the legal suff

Comment

• stanc
                            Banned
                            • Apr 2011

Originally posted by jwilson1985 View Post
                            ...the stock on that 300 is still bugging the crap out of me thats a loki stock copy with a damn cover over it...wheres JAsmith he knows all the legal suff
                            It does have some similarity in design. However, the AAC stock is a lot more chic than Loki's.

BTW, if the AAC stock bugs you, you oughta love H&K's stock.

But, I don't see why you should get too upset about it, though. After all, it's not as if the Loki stock is an original design.

It is clearly a copy of the stock on the M231 Firing Port Weapon.
                            Last edited by stanc; 10-19-2011, 06:05 PM.

Comment

• jwilson1985

i sent u a pm explaining...i didnt want that part public ,its all being handled thanks again though

Comment

I am project lead on 300 AAC BLACKOUT at AAC.

The 300 BLK and 6.5 could not be more opposites. While I see some merit in comparing 300 BLK to 6.8, I see little for comparing it to 6.5 - which is even longer range capable than 6.8.

I see 300 BLK as replacing the MP7, MP5, 10 inch barrel HK-416, Mk18, and for hunting and self-defense with an AR when you want 30 caliber bullets but don't want the size/weight, and expense of an AR10. The Remington UMC ammo coming out is just $12.99 a box MSRP. There is a lot of info at www.300blktalk.com

By the way, I like 260 a lot - I even designed a 260 barrel that headspaces easily on a Remington without needing a reamer:

Loki - I was not aware of your stock, but we did know about the Colt M231. We started our design around that but made the rails more like the HK MP5.

Comment

Working...
                                X