• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Slinkz
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2016

First Build Advice

Close to pulling the trigger on a BHW .264 LBC type 1 and was wondering what bolt I should get for it. I've read a few things about bolts breaking that has me concerned and don't want it to happen to me. I've also been concerned with headspace and whatnot and do not have gauges on hand. Should I just go with the Brownells/ Satern barrel that comes with a bolt for $299.99 here: http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...prod69785.aspx

It's Mid-length while I would prefer rifle and I would obviously prefer the more accurate of the two.

Thanks for any help or advice.
    Last edited by Slinkz; 01-15-2016, 11:02 PM.
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

Welcome aboard.

A good rule of thumb is to get the barrel and bolt from the same source and a reputable dealer if you can. The shallow bolt face depth with 7.62x39 and 6.5 Grendel is really a problem for the extractor, which is why AA went with a .136" bolt face depth and some other changes to the bolt design to accommodate AR15 parts commonality with minimum parts changes.

You can beat the Midway and Brownell's prices on a barrel/bolt right now with AA and get fluting on top of that for less cost.

AA 16" fluted lite MLGS: $195 http://www.shopalexanderarms.com/Bar...te_Barrel.html
    AA 6.5 Grendel bolt: $79.20 http://www.shopalexanderarms.com/6_5...ers_Parts.html
    AA Hard Use bolt: $93.50
    AA A2 9/16x24 FH: $16.50 http://www.shopalexanderarms.com/Muz...r_9_16-24.html
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Slinkz
      Bloodstained
      • Jan 2016

I've looked at those but was wanting an 18 or 20" barrel and the fluting doesn't do a ton for me. This will be a bench/hunting gun, and I'm not worried about weight as I won't have to do a ton of hiking with it. Also, BHW is about to have a 20% off sale that brings them down to about the same cost, though if there's something inherently wrong with 264, maybe I should reconsider.
      Last edited by Slinkz; 01-16-2016, 05:08 AM.

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Les Baer created the 264 LBC with a chamber optimized for the Sierra 123 grain MK. Les Baer barrels used the .136 depth bolt like the AA SAAMI 6.5 Grendel chamber. The compound throat in the SAAMI 6.5 Grendel chamber was designed to function with a wide variety of bullet profiles and weights including steel case ammo.

In my opinion the .136 bolt is inherently stronger than the Type I .125 bolt which BHW uses with their 264 LBC. I don't own a 264 LBC from BHW but I have read on forums where not every BHW 264 LBC function with the Wolf 6.5 Grendel steel case ammo.

You just have decide which design you are willing to invest, there are many satisfied 6.5 Grendel shooter regardless which chamber or manufacturer they chose.

At one time BHW weaponry offered to chamber the .264 LBC with a .136 bolt (Type II) but when I looked at their website today I did not see an option for a .136 Type II bolt. If I were going to buy the BHW barrel I would prefer the .136 (Type II) bolt. I've read they will chamber a barrel for the .136 bolt if you send them a bolt to match to a barrel. I don't know if this is still an option with BHW.
        Last edited by VASCAR2; 01-16-2016, 04:40 PM.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2015

PF use to sell BHW barrels sammi specd with the .136 bolt but it seems they have discontinued using bow barrels and now use the .264lbc in its place.

Comment

• Slinkz
            Bloodstained
            • Jan 2016

Went ahead and order the BHW barrel. Called and they said they could cut it to match the 6.5 grendel (type II) bolt that I just ordered from underground tactical if I send it to them. Can't wait!

Comment

• schrödinger's cat
              Bloodstained
              • Dec 2015

What made you choose underground tactical ? What other bolts did you look at ?

Comment

• ahillock
                Warrior
                • Jan 2016

What made you choose underground tactical ? What other bolts did you look at ?
                If barrel I was buying didn't come with a bolt, three companies I would look at are Maxim Firearms, Underground Tactical, and Alexander Arms. Underground Tactical is very solid.

Comment

• Maddvaper
                  Bloodstained
                  • Jan 2016

I ordered a 20" medium contour SS 1-8 twist barrel (6.5 Grendel ll )and bolt from Saturn yesterday for $315 shipped. Not my first AR build but my first grendel build. Kinda stoked as I've never scene the round in real life but been reading really good stuff about the cartridge since bout last November.

Comment

• Slinkz
                    Bloodstained
                    • Jan 2016

I went with rifle length gas.... Should I keep that or try and switch to midlength? I feel like I read that rifle would be better but can't find anything now

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2015

I would stay with the rifle legnth gas but that is just me.

Comment

• Slinkz
                        Bloodstained
                        • Jan 2016

Do you have an 18"er with rifle gas? I'm a little worried about it being undergassed and figure that with mid length I can always get an adjustable gas block. Side note, my bolt was supposed to arrive today but suspiciously disappeared from my doorstep if it ever even made it there... Sigh... Looks like I get to have a chat with USPS tomorrow

Comment

Working...
                        X