X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • apd_855
    Bloodstained
    • Oct 2014

I developed a load with it at 31.5 grains under a 120 a-max. It's verry accurate in my rifle, but my only complaint is that it's very dirty. After about 50 rounds, my rifle is filthy.

Comment

• 6.5 Grendel
      Warrior
      • Nov 2015

With the speeds and accuracy I am getting with Leverevelotion, I think I can live with a filthy gun. Funny thing is the bore looks clean no fouling maybe the magnum primers help.
      "One Good Shot Is All I Need."

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
        Administrator
        • Feb 2011

Using LVR in the 65G is sort of new territory, but looking at Hodgdon's data for the .30-30 Win shows that it gets 100 fps more than the nearest competitor with pressures at the LOW end of the range. As they say, it doesn't work for every cartridge, but where it works it REALLY works!

I'm hoping it gives the 65G its best safe velocities for the 123-130 class, particularly with the newer Berger 6.5 130 AR Hybrid.
        :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• kmon
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2015

From this thread and a little digging, have decided will try the Leverevoluion with the 129gr Accubond LR and 130 Berger Hybrids. Have a few hundred of each now to try. Already know my load of choice for the Bergers with CFE223 for the AR and bolt action. Will see if I can get it any better with the leverevolution. Planned on trying the Accubonds with CFE and probably will along with the Leverevolution.

Those 2 bullets according to Litz are only .004 apart in their G7 BC so should be real close on dope and think I will like the accubonds for hunting better than the Bergers, though have yet to shoot anything but paper and rocks with the Bergers. Bergers are dang sure accurate though.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
            Administrator
            • Feb 2011

:: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

Comment

• lwminton
              Warrior
              • Nov 2014

Originally posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post
              Thanks so much for testing and reporting on this.

Where are you at, compression-wise, and how is brass looking as far as pressure signs?
              Dumb question but how do you know if a load is compressed. Are you just eyeballing where the powder charge reaches vs the depth of the bullet or is there some science?

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                Administrator
                • Feb 2011

As you seat a bullet in a case that has a lot of powder, you are physically crushing, or compressing, the powder. Some describe the sound as "crunching." Reloading data by Nosler, for example, will give a load density as a percentage of volume. I don't know how they calculate it, but maybe more experienced reloaders can chime in.

Comment

• JASmith
                  Chieftain
                  • Sep 2014

One can get s good estimate if the powderand bullet see in the QuikLoa datsbase.

I'm away from my computer right now so can't check.

Alternatively, one can measure the weight of a known volume of Leverevolution and divide that by the weight of water that will fill the volume. Multiply that ratio times the water capacity of he Grendel case filled to the mouth to get the weight of a full case of powder. This will give the specific gravity of the powder.

If one uses a Grendel case for this, you get there pretty quickly.

The remaining challenge is the volume displaced by the bullet. One can get a slightly conservative estimate be ignoring the small diameter of the boattail. Then one can calculate the volume displaced by a .264" dia cylinder with a length equal to the bullet below the case mouth.

Last, apply the ratio of powder weight to water weight to the volume one gets after subtracting the volume displaced by the bullet from the water volume of the Grendel case.

That will give a slightly conservative estimate of the max weight before compression starts.
                  shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
                  -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

There are quite a few loads for Leverevolution in Volume II of the 6.5 Grendel Handbooks for 123gr-130gr, including:

123gr AMAX
                    123gr SST
                    129gr SST
                    130gr Sierra Game King
                    130gr Swift Scirocco
                    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Tp56
                      Unwashed
                      • Sep 2015

28.8gr of LeverEvolution with the 129ABLR is the hunting load I landed on. It has shot some awesome groups for me and is devastating on animals. The 130 Scirocco is has nearly the same dimensions as the 129ABLR, so I used that data from Volume II.

Comment

• Fat Albert
                        Bloodstained
                        • Feb 2017

1911man: If you go on Hodg. load data center, under 308 Marlin Ex, they show both CFE 223 and LEV together and are not the same.

Comment

• rickt300
                          Warrior
                          • Jan 2017

I worked up to 29.0 grains of LVR under a 140 Gameking and the powder is not under a great amount of compression, at 28.5 I could still hear the powder shifting as I shook the case. At 29 grains I can't. This in Hornady cases and CCI450 primers. I really don't think I am pushing any excessive pressures either. With this bullet I have a LOT less powder residue in my barrel than with the 123 AMAX and 32.0 grains of LVR. I basically added powder .5 grains at a time till I couldn't hear or feel powder movement in the case when I shook it while watching for other pressure indicators with both bullets. LVR seems to be very accurate at all levels in my bolt gun. Thanks for the chrono readings, now i know I am getting in the mid 2500 fps area with the 123 AMAX.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                            Super Moderator
                            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Tp56 View Post
                            28.8gr of LeverEvolution with the 129ABLR is the hunting load I landed on. It has shot some awesome groups for me and is devastating on animals. The 130 Scirocco is has nearly the same dimensions as the 129ABLR, so I used that data from Volume II.
                            We included tested data for the 129gr ABLR in the 2nd Print of Volume II, in addition to 95gr Lehigh Defense.

30.4gr of CFE was the max load for 129gr ABLR, using Hornady brass and CCI 450 primer, in a SAAMI chamber. 2410fps average from an 18" barrel.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• 65Whelen
                              Warrior
                              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                              We included tested data for the 129gr ABLR in the 2nd Print of Volume II, in addition to 95gr Lehigh Defense.

30.4gr of CFE was the max load for 129gr ABLR, using Hornady brass and CCI 450 primer, in a SAAMI chamber. 2410fps average from an 18" barrel.
                              I have the first print of volume II, how can I get the updated info? Specificly, I'm looking for reloading info for Leverevolution & 129 ABLR. I've tried 29.0g with so so results. What is the recommended max?
                              Last edited by 65Whelen; 09-12-2017, 07:10 PM.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                                Super Moderator
                                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by 65Whelen View Post
                                I have the first print of volume II, how can I get the updated info? Specificly, I'm looking for reloading info for Leverevolution & 129 ABLR. I've tried 29.0g with so so results. What is the recommended max?
                                The load data I've seen for both CFE223 and LVR are so close that many of us over the years have speculated about CFE223 being LVR with the copper eliminator additive, but CFE isn't that dirty, so who knows. They are right next to each other on the burn rate chart and have the same densities from what I can tell.

I'm not aware of any pressure-tested data for 129gr ABLR and LEVERevolution yet.

We have CFE223 data for the 129gr ABLR working up to 30.4gr max at 2410fps from an 18" barrel, CCI450, Hornady brass, 2.260" COL.

I would work up to the same charge weight with LEVERevolution and see what a pressure ladder looks like.
                                Last edited by LRRPF52; 09-15-2017, 08:29 PM.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                                X