• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wheelhorse
    Warrior
    • May 2014

Originally posted by customcutter View Post
    The lapping compound should be cutting a groove of equal depth all the way around the tool. If it isn't, there is something wrong with the flux modulation in the gravitational forces caused by the squared speed of light. :-)
    I'd wondered about that, appreciate the detailed explanation. Makes perfect sense!

Comment

• montana
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2011

Originally posted by customcutter View Post
      The lapping compound should be cutting a groove of equal depth all the way around the tool. If it isn't, there is something wrong with the flux modulation in the gravitational forces caused by the squared speed of light. :-)
      Absolutely true. I got a smiley face sticker on my squared speed of light test. I prefer the face of my tool to be flat. The deeper the groove becomes the more potential for the abrasive compound removing material from the side of the receiver barrel channel instead of just the face.

Comment

• montana
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2011

Originally posted by sneaky one View Post
        Oh, man! Just check them all before a build.

I handed my so-so R Guns rec. to 6.5 Whelon last March to check for square- we were doing some trading of parts- Glad he checked it, it was Way out of close to being square.
        The assembled rifle is a shooter! I did ink blot testing on the bolt lugs to contact the Ext. All looked perfect. Damn kids!

Bedding the 2 mating surfaces with Permatex- 24300- blue glue - we call it that- maybe helped a bit also. Confidence helps also, in all you did properly in and upon a build.

Guys with Awesome lathes , - they could offer up the service of a - rec. square. for decent price ? RS? Are you listening? 6.5 Whelon? Montana? Custom cutter, anyone else? LRRFP 52? Guys with the trueing tools can hop in too ! Check for Square dudes!

Remember, this is Team Grendel . We are all in this together. We all help each other. No beatching, no whining. Forward is the only motion. What a team!
        I'm in the process of moving and remodeling my new home. All gun builds and fun are on hold. Yea, it sucks as much as it sounds. Team Grendel has to take a second to my indentured service contract I made years ago with a 5'6" blonde.

Comment

• customcutter
          Warrior
          • Dec 2014

Originally posted by montana View Post
          Absolutely true. I got a smiley face sticker on my squared speed of light test. I prefer the face of my tool to be flat. The deeper the groove becomes the more potential for the abrasive compound removing material from the side of the receiver barrel channel instead of just the face.
          True as well Montana. We only want the face squared up, not thinner sides.

Sneaky, I hadn't thought about offering the service, but by the time someone paid postage both ways, labor and a trip to the post office, reasonable would be about $2/hr.

I have a cheap source of rods for truing the uppers. Unfortunately it takes at least an hour with a torch and a couple of 24" pipe wrench's to dismantle the housings that the spindles are in.

Comment

• 454bore
            Warrior
            • Dec 2014

If you buy a good quality upper it usually isn't needed.
            This topic was reviewed on snipershyde and some precision rifle builders said they don't reccomend it.
            I like mega billet and forged uppers.
            Bravo company forged are good also,very tight installing the barrel.
            Get a rubber hammer with them.

Comment

Working...
            X