• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

ThunderBeast Ultra 5" and 6.5 Grendel Preliminary Test Results

Bill A. and ThunderBeast Suppressors have done some initial testing with the Ultra series cans on 6.5 Grendel.

The 5" Ultra seemed to be the quietest overall when taking the ejection port area and gas vent holes into consideration, since the 7" builds more back pressure. The 7" Ultra of course is more quiet at the muzzle, but louder at the bolt carrier gas vent holes.

Also, a 30 cal can might be the better choice for gassers since the 6.5mm Ultra's are so efficient, they build more back pressure in a gasser, causing more ejection port supersonic gas escape noise.

This is the can I wanted as soon as TBAC revealed the Ultra Series last year. At 7.4oz, you don't even notice you have a can on the end of the rifle.

If you are worried about repeatability, Ray actually won Steel Safari taking off one of their cans in between each stage, where you have to traverse rough terrain between stage locations, then make hits at long range with a precision rifle. Just to be able to place in the match with a rifle intact is one thing, but to remove a suppressor from the barrel after each stage, carry the rifle over distance, re-attach every time, and win the match is simply unheard of.

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com
  • PA_Allen
    Warrior
    • Mar 2011

Very interesting results considering back pressure and port noise. I have a TBAC CB9 that is quiet but the back pressure on my 16" is noticeable. I use an adjustable gas block and a Tubbs CWS to delay the unlocking as long as possible. I'd love to try one of the 5" or 7" Ultras!
    - PA

Comment

• lead chucker
      Warrior
      • Sep 2014

I have a ultra 7 that should be in my grubby hands any day now. But the ultra 5 does look sexy and would be great on my 8" blkout with subs. I have noticed the port noise on my ARs is much louder than the muzzle noise. I could see where the 5" would help this, but its a trade off with port and muzzle. Guess its still pick your poison.

Comment

• ccasanova
        Warrior
        • Mar 2016

Any updates? Who's running a TBAC Ultra on their Grendel? My father in law and I are setting up a trust and splitting the cost of a suppressor. The 30. Cal Ultra is at the top of our list. I'll be running it on a 20" heavy (1") barrel .264 LBC and a future Grendel SBR. He has a 300 BlkOut w/16" barrel.

Comment

• Klem
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2013

Very interesting.

Out of interest how did you distinguish between the two sounds; the muzzle and the ejection port?

I was reading recently the results of one of our quasi government pest control teams doing sound trials with a Casella CEL63X sound pressure meter. They used two microphones; including a 165db high-range microphone for high-power supersonic loads. The meter samples pressure very 0.1sec which as you know is still fairly slow given the speed peak pressure waves are generated.

The results at the muzzle and 50meteres downrange were as you would expect.

Sometimes I wonder about these expensive fancy scientific instruments when the trusty 'ear' confirms what the instrument is saying. I guess when you are trying to convince others in a commercial/scientific forum suggesting you 'listened' only goes so far.

Comment

• lead chucker
            Warrior
            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by ccasanova View Post
            Any updates? Who's running a TBAC Ultra on their Grendel? My father in law and I are setting up a trust and splitting the cost of a suppressor. The 30. Cal Ultra is at the top of our list. I'll be running it on a 20" heavy (1") barrel .264 LBC and a future Grendel SBR. He has a 300 BlkOut w/16" barrel.
            I using a TBAC ultra 7 30 cal. Very light and sounds good.

Comment

• Capt. Morgan
              Bloodstained
              • Oct 2015

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
              Also, a 30 cal can might be the better choice for gassers since the 6.5mm Ultra's are so efficient, they build more back pressure in a gasser, causing more ejection port supersonic gas escape noise.
              I just tumbled across the TBAC web site and was highly interested since they are one of the few 6.5 cans out there ...

But I have to ask the dumb question here - gasser = gas piston?

Comment

• SDet
                Bloodstained
                • Sep 2016

Gassee=semi. Currently have a 30 Cal ultra 7, might try the 6.5mm soon.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                  Super Moderator
                  • Sep 2014

I wouldn't use the 6.5mm can on an AR15, because it works too well, which means more supersonic noise from the vent holes in the BCG and close to the shooter.

A 30 cal can is best for the AR15 I think. 6.5mm is awesome on bolt guns. TBAC has one of the quietest cans on the market, the lightest, and is the standard for minimal POI shift between suppressed and unsuppressed.
                  NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• SDet
                    Bloodstained
                    • Sep 2016

Do you know if Ray metered the test between 30 and 6.5 ultras?

And I'll probably try both just because I can, I'm also thinking about a 6.5 creedmoor bolt gun, so a 6.5 can would be best.

Comment

• Frank45
                      Warrior
                      • Mar 2016

I really hate living in Komifornia when people start talking about cans.

Comment

• Bigs28
                        Chieftain
                        • Feb 2016

LRR, since you have experience with these, is it worth the extra length and weight getting the 7"over the 5" in 30 cal for the 6.5g ar15? Is it noticably quieter?

Comment

• Weflyplanes
                          Unwashed
                          • Oct 2016

New design

This is a new design. As a pilot I understand high bypass fans and this is a new design in Suppressor's which reduces the back pressure. In a 300 blackout it needs it to operate in some models.

Worth a look. I am in the process of purchase 3 of their Suppressor's. 2 Bpr's and Srm 2's with a Ifm7 which is rated up to 300 win mag.

Give it a look.

Comment

• Capt. Morgan
                            Bloodstained
                            • Oct 2015

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                            I wouldn't use the 6.5mm can on an AR15, because it works too well, which means more supersonic noise from the vent holes in the BCG and close to the shooter.
                            Would your opinion change if the Grendel was a gas piston instead of DI?

Comment

• SDet
                              Bloodstained
                              • Sep 2016

Okay, finally ran through the ultra line.

Comment

Working...
                              X