• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • customcutter
    Warrior
    • Dec 2014

Any interest in jigs to finish 80% lowers

Every time I've looked for jigs to finish 80% lowers I've had a hard time finding them in stock. I've looked several times over the last 5-7 years on the internet. A lot of times I could find the 80% lowers, but not jig was available. I finally found one at a gun show several months ago. I tried to use it this past weekend, and as Drift said, it's like I bought a 50% jig to go with my 80% lowers. Needless to say, I had to do a lot of modification to make it fit the lowers that I bought with the jig.

I'm considering making some if there is an interest. Not asking for orders, just an idea of whether you would consider purchasing if design and price is right.

thanks,
    Ken
  • ahillock
    Warrior
    • Jan 2016

Would be interesting. I have heard good things about these:

Complete your 80% lower receiver with the best 80 percent lower jig kits online! All of our jigs are solidly constructed and can be reused for many builds. Shop now!

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

There are a lot of jigs out there for AR15 lowers.

Anderson Arms
      Ares Armor
      Tactical Machine
      Modulus Arms http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/658...to_heavy_.html
      80percentarms

And a bunch of others. The Modulus Arms is the way to go, as it indexes off the pivot pin boss hole and the receiver extension tube thread hole. It fits pretty much everything.
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• customcutter
        Warrior
        • Dec 2014

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
        There are a lot of jigs out there for AR15 lowers.

Anderson Arms
        Ares Armor
        Tactical Machine
        Modulus Arms http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/658...to_heavy_.html
        80percentarms

And a bunch of others. The Modulus Arms is the way to go, as it indexes off the pivot pin boss hole and the receiver extension tube thread hole. It fits pretty much everything.

You're corr
        ect there are a lot of 80% jigs out there. Most of them are out of stock now, and have been every time I've looked at them. Check the link in the link you provided. That is the best looking jig I've seen also. Possibly over engineered, but hey he's selling them....

There must be an interest in building the 80% lowers or the jigs wouldn't be out of stock all the time. Most places can't even keep the 80% lowers in stock.

Comment

• Savage Shooter
          Warrior
          • Dec 2014

Originally posted by customcutter View Post
          [I]

There must be an interest in building the 80% lowers or the jigs wouldn't be out of stock all the time. Most places can't even keep the 80% lowers in stock.
          Guess there must be a lot of people who don't like Big Brother knowing what they own in the way of Modern Sporting Rifles - or as our over-reaching politicians like to refer to them - "ASSAULT Rifles".
          My "6.5" = 24" AA Overwatch upper 1/9 twist, NC based US Tactical lower, standard A4 6 position stock, AR Gold Trigger, JPS SCS buffer, Vortex 6-24 x 50 FFP PST with EBR-2C MOA reticle

Comment

• 1075 tech
            Warrior
            • Apr 2015

I picked this one up a couple years ago and it has done well for me. http://submoatarget.com/80-Lower-Jig-GS-JIG.htm I like the fact that the top plates are steel and has the steel bushings.

I would be interested in another jig if the price was right.

Comment

• sneaky one
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

So, CC , how did they turn out? The lowers ? Or didn't you get that far after the jig tweaks?

1075 tech- Good info ! Thanks !
              Last edited by sneaky one; 01-28-2016, 01:55 AM.

Comment

• customcutter
                Warrior
                • Dec 2014

Originally posted by sneaky one View Post
                So, CC , how did they turn out? The lowers ? Or didn't you get that far after the jig tweaks?
                This past Saturday was more of a learning experience, with a huge curve involved. When the top plate won't even bolt onto the jig you know you've got a problem. Let's just say we reverse engineered it to work. The first one is now 99% done, all it lacks is the trigger slot being milled out. Drift will be back this Saturday to mill his lower, and we can do some of the "tricks" we learned while doing mine.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                  Super Moderator
                  • Sep 2014

You want to see something else that is interesting? There's even a waiting list on the Ghostgunner:

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• customcutter
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2014

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                    You want to see something else that is interesting? There's even a waiting list on the Ghostgunner:

You're right that is "Keewwwllll"!!!!

Comment

• newb
                      Warrior
                      • Feb 2015

Originally posted by ahillock View Post
                      Would be interesting. I have heard good things about these:

http://www.80percentarms.com/collections/lower-jigs
                      Depending on what lowers you use.

A friend had that one, it has some pros such as the milling bit depth set point on it. Although he had to trim part of his various lowers to fit into the jig.

We've recently been using Hell Fire Armory jigs. Although my friend is working on making a jig from steel, especially the top plate to hold up longer.

The Modulus Arms link LRRPF52 posted looks pretty slick.

Comment

• customcutter
                        Warrior
                        • Dec 2014

Originally posted by newb View Post
                        Depending on what lowers you use.

A friend had that one, it has some pros such as the milling bit depth set point on it. Although he had to trim part of his various lowers to fit into the jig.

We've recently been using Hell Fire Armory jigs. Although my friend is working on making a jig from steel, especially the top plate to hold up longer.

The Modulus Arms link LRRPF52 posted looks pretty slick.
                        I've been thinking about that as well. Unless it's hardened steel, it's not going to hold up any better than the aluminum top plates do. Well maybe a little, it'll be like cutting butter with a cold knife instead of a hot knife. I was considering making my top plate out of O-1 or A-2, and not tempering it back after heat treating. That way it would be as hard as the mill cutter.

Comment

• customcutter
                          Warrior
                          • Dec 2014

Drift came back over today, and we finished my lower and also finished his. I have to take back what I said about it being a 50% jig, it's less than that. When we put the top plate on to cut the hole through for the triggers, it was a complete joke. The top plate had a 5/16" slot in it, and the tooling kit had a 5/16" mill, with a 3/8" arbor. The 5/16" mill ran out of cutter about 1/2" above where it needed to start cutting through the floor of the lower. I also had to mill slots in the top, so that the sides would slide in to fit snugly against the sides of the lower. (The same thing is true of all of the top plates for this particular jig.) I used a depth gauge to make sure it was centered, put the 5/16" mill in indicated it to one end of the trigger slot, lowered the knee(table) of the mill switched it for a 3/8" mill, raised the knee back up and cut through the jig, travel to almost the other end of the slot. I switched out the 3/8" mill for the 5/16" again and indicated to the end of the slot, put the 3/8" back in and raised the knee and cut back toward the center. Once I had the 5/16" slot milled out to 3/8", I put the 5/16" back in that had a 3/8" arbor, and was able to lower it completely through the jig to cut the slot for the trigger.

Comment

• customcutter
                            Warrior
                            • Dec 2014

Drift, posted some pictures here.

I ordered 2 packs, 24 feet. I figure I can turn 260 100gr copper solids for $36.00. I might try some 90gr or even 85gr thanks to Sneaky. Get em before they're gone. http://www.ebay.com/itm/281296170783?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I'll just say mine was the "quinea pig" and involved some of the learning curve, that we had to go through. It's not as pretty on the inside, but it is functional. I have some pics of Drift doing some manual machining on my cnc milling machine but they are way way too big. I'll try to figure out how to resize them, and get them posted up.

Comment

• Steamburn
                              Warrior
                              • Apr 2015

I was leary of polymer lowers for the AR15, but I like to experiment, so I bought a Polymer80 lower that comes with its own jig, tools and instructions. Everything you need to work with it comes included.
                              The results were fantastic.
                              My 6.5 Grendel that I built with it makes tiny little groups at 200 yrds. No problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X