• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cornbread
    Warrior
    • Dec 2015

Bhw 264 lbc 123 amax distance to lands

Using the hornady tool I'm getting 2.399. Using a cleaning rod from the muzzle to push back on bullet to get a feel for it. Bullet is firm in the lands but not jammed. Seems a little long from what I can tell.
  • TropicalVibe
    Warrior
    • Mar 2015

Is that your C.O.A.L or case head to ogive?

Comment

• Cornbread
      Warrior
      • Dec 2015

Coal. Just got the grendel case for the gauge last night. I'll play around with it some more tonight. The readings were very consistent but given the profile of the amax and the bhw rifling it may have been in the lands a bit.

Comment

• TropicalVibe
        Warrior
        • Mar 2015

So for the same projectile, my measurement is 2.340. I have the AR Stoner Midway 18" barrel. We just measured my friends BHW 264 lbc and got 2.388. With a 2.399 distance to lands, loading at 2.250 would give you a free-travel (jump) of roughly, .149 and I don't know how much that will affect accuracy. I would like to hear from others that have the same barrel. With the 120gr Amax, the ogive is much further forward, so your jump would be reduced quite a bit if you are having issues. There are other projectiles with a tangent ogive that would reduce the amount of free travel.

Regards,
        TV

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

AR15 magazine well length is 2.395". This is why I like the SAAMI chamber. Tangent ogive pills load fine at reasonable mag length. Secant ogive pills load to mag length.

Both types shoot really well.

With the different chambers that don't have the compound angle, you will be left with more limited options.
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Cornbread
            Warrior
            • Dec 2015

The factory amax at 2.24 ish shoot well so I don't doubt that I can find a sweet spot. Once I find a load I can play around with it and see what happens. I have asc mags and I think 2.3 would not be a problem I just don't see a lot of folks loading long????

Comment

• 1911man
              Warrior
              • May 2015

Originally posted by TropicalVibe View Post
              So for the same projectile, my measurement is 2.340. I have the AR Stoner Midway 18" barrel. We just measured my friends BHW 264 lbc and got 2.388. With a 2.399 distance to lands, loading at 2.250 would give you a free-travel (jump) of roughly, .149 and I don't know how much that will affect accuracy. I would like to hear from others that have the same barrel. With the 120gr Amax, the ogive is much further forward, so your jump would be reduced quite a bit if you are having issues. There are other projectiles with a tangent ogive that would reduce the amount of free travel.

Regards,
              TV
              I have not measured my chamber yet, but I have a couple of loads that shoot really well with the 123 Amax around 2.245-2.255 OAL in my BHW 264 LBC chamber. The OAL of my favorite load is 2.255 with the 123 Amax and it consistantly shoots sub MOA.

Comment

• devildogandboy
                Warrior
                • Sep 2015

Originally posted by Cornbread View Post
                Coal. Just got the grendel case for the gauge last night. I'll play around with it some more tonight. The readings were very consistent but given the profile of the amax and the bhw rifling it may have been in the lands a bit.
                so what did you come up with for your measurement to the lands? cbto (cartridge base to ogive)

Bruce
                HOLY CRAP, DID YOU SEE THAT????????

Comment

• tasty_chicken
                  Bloodstained
                  • Jul 2015

Originally posted by 1911man View Post
                  I have not measured my chamber yet, but I have a couple of loads that shoot really well with the 123 Amax around 2.245-2.255 OAL in my BHW 264 LBC chamber. The OAL of my favorite load is 2.255 with the 123 Amax and it consistantly shoots sub MOA.
                  What powder are you using with a 2.255 OAL?

Comment

• 1911man
                    Warrior
                    • May 2015

Originally posted by tasty_chicken View Post
                    What powder are you using with a 2.255 OAL?
                    AR Comp. I have a thread below that shows my load and the results from my most recent trip to the range.

Comment

• lwminton
                      Warrior
                      • Nov 2014

Using the hornady tool I'm getting 2.399. Using a cleaning rod from the muzzle to push back on bullet to get a feel for it. Bullet is firm in the lands but not jammed. Seems a little long from what I can tell.
                      The distance is the distance (unless you made a mistake doing the measurement). When I measure, I do it 10-15 times and it becomes clear what "the distance" is. 10 rifles will get 10 different measurements. The only one that matters is YOURS. So unless you tapped the bullet in with a mallet, it is unlikely to be long, short maybe but not by much. Repeat 10 times and report back the numbers.

Comment

• Cornbread
                        Warrior
                        • Dec 2015

recheck with cleaning rod in muzzle to back bullet off and reseat lightly 2.396. Pretty close to original 2.399.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                          Super Moderator
                          • Sep 2014

Also keep in mind that there are people claiming they put a .264 LBC chamber in your barrel, but the actual Les Baer chamber is called the .264 LBC-AR.

The Les Baer .264 LBC-AR chamber does not have anywhere near that kind of leade in my experience. We have a pretty thorough explanation of the main chamber variations in Volume I of the 6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks.

What happens is that a lot of shops looking for a reamer will call up reamer makers, and will get steered into something they don't want, but because they aren't aware of what all is out there, the reamer maker may convince them it's "just like a Grendel, only better". The reamer maker can hold themself to whatever dimensions they want at that point, without having to account for the SAAMI spec, or even the real .264 LBC-AR.
                          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• lwminton
                            Warrior
                            • Nov 2014

Also, use a wooden dowel, it has much better feel than a cleaning rod.

Comment

Working...
                            X