• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 204 AR
    Warrior
    • Sep 2015

New Sierra bullet?

I just noticed this 92.6 gr mk bullet on Midway, anyone use this one yet?

• SDguy
    Warrior
    • Oct 2015

One time offer - if you like them stock up

Hmmmmmm looks like a limited run that was initially meant for the likes of the Grendel.

If this was a thick jacket game king I may wish to give her a go.

Someone here is bound to give them a try. I to will be interested in how they work out. Best use I could emagine would be for blowing up coyotes and turning a groundhogs into a red mist.

Personally Ill prefer a 17 cal pelt conservation bullet.

Looks like the BC may be fairly good for the weight.

Comment

• stanc
      Banned
      • Apr 2011

Looks quite interesting, if that's a photo of the actual bullet.

Comment

• Rugerfan.64
        Warrior
        • May 2014

I have been lobbying Sierra for a while for a new hunting bullet in the 120 - 123 grain range. All they offer in that weight range is the Pro Hunter. my daughters 260 needs a Gameking BT bullet. It would also work for the Grendel. I get the feeling they are working on something along those lines.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
          Administrator
          • Feb 2011

Highly intriguing! It's not on their website and we've heard nothing about it.

And I'd be surprised if that's the actual bullet, although it's possible they used the 107/123 MatchKing jacket. The jacket would be half empty at only 92.6, just like the 100 Scenar. More likely some minion in Midway's marketing department just posted up the closest photo they had on hand.
          :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• koden
            Bloodstained
            • Sep 2014

I found this which may be the same bullet:

And this looks like a pic of the bullet:

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
              Administrator
              • Feb 2011

Dang, koden! Good research!
              :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
                Warrior
                • Oct 2012

Nice job Kogen! After I crapped out on the Sierra site I gave up. Your google fu is strong.

.315 BC looks about like what you would expect without some drastic advancement like dimples or something to reduce drag.

Comment

• stanc
                  Banned
                  • Apr 2011

Originally posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post
                  And I'd be surprised if that's the actual bullet, although it's possible they used the 107/123 MatchKing jacket. The jacket would be half empty at only 92.6, just like the 100 Scenar. More likely some minion in Midway's marketing department just posted up the closest photo they had on hand.
                  I agree. The bullet in the MidwayUSA pic looks longer and more streamlined than this one found by koden.

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
                    Warrior
                    • Oct 2012

I figured a while back that someone would have to do an aluminum core or something to give the size and shape of slick 123gr and still weight something in that 90's range. Just a guess, no idea if it could work.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                      Administrator
                      • Feb 2011

I think it will work. Copper body/aluminum tip.

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
                        Warrior
                        • Oct 2012

Muahhahahhaha, right! Not what I imagined and it honestly didn't even register for the moment even though I have been keenly watching the developments. : facepalm :

What I imagined was an aluminum core with a composite tip, but with an aluminum tip will be even better now that we know the composite ones melt. I imagine this might also work well with a gap in the center... and possibly with a bismuth disk in the base to make it open/yaw more after impact? Meh. Just a thought. I am sure more experiments will come.
                        Last edited by KentuckyBuddha; 02-01-2016, 10:26 PM.

Comment

• stanc
                          Banned
                          • Apr 2011

Originally posted by KentuckyBuddha View Post
                          I figured a while back that someone would have to do an aluminum core or something to give the size and shape of slick 123gr and still weight something in that 90's range. Just a guess, no idea if it could work.
                          Switching from lead to steel core should cut weight to 95-100 grains. I think aluminum core would be much lighter, perhaps 80 grains or so.

Comment

• JASmith
                            Chieftain
                            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by koden View Post
                            I found this which may be the same bullet:

And this looks like a pic of the bullet:

http://www.hhsportshop.com/product-p/gm6555m2.htm
                            They may have targeted the metric market.

Converting 92.6 grains yields almost exactly six grams...
                            shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
                            -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
                              Warrior
                              • Oct 2012

I agree and I originally thought of something down in that weight class. I also thought, as I mentioned there, that a bismuth caboose in there could make it as tail happy as a Porsche 911 with no traction control on a road course with an eager rookie in it (and also make up for the weight difference that you guessed). You know with the idea of getting 7N6 kind of cavitation and silly speed out of something that won't likely overpenetrate.

Comment

Working...
                              X