X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Makes me wonder how that bullet would do on varmints like, foxes, bobcats and coyotes.

Comment

• stanc
      Banned
      • Apr 2011

Originally posted by KentuckyBuddha View Post
      I agree and I originally thought of something down in that weight class. I also thought, as I mentioned there, that a bismuth caboose in there could make it as tail happy as a Porsche 911 with no traction control on a road course with an eager rookie in it (and also make up for the weight difference that you guessed). You know with the idea of getting 7N6 kind of cavitation and silly speed out of something that won't likely overpenetrate.
      That would indeed be an intriguing experiment. I wonder how difficult it'd be to get such bullets made?

Comment

• koden
        Bloodstained
        • Sep 2014

So if someone spins up a solid copper bullet with the same exact same dimensions as a 123 SMK would the lighter weight of the bullet (but same bearing surface) result in significantly more speed or do you have to reduce the bearing surfaces as well as weight to get a significant speed increase?

Comment

• kmon
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2015

There is a 28gr Aluminum core copper jacketed bullet loaded by FN for the 5.7X28 that works quite well from the PS90 on coyotes, haven't recovered one yet though. They do make a nice bright silver colored splatter on steel targets. The only yotes I have shot with these were 75 to 100 yards away and there was an exit on broadside lung shots, the yotes did not go very far though, dead within 10 yards.

"SS195LF (lead free)The SS195LF is a commercially available cartridge that features a lead-free primer and produces ballistics similar to the SS192 round, which it replaced in late 2004. It uses the same 1.8-g (28 grain) copper-jacketed aluminum core bullet as the SS192, and it can be identified by the unmarked, hollow void at the tip and the silver-colored primer. The SS195 is classified by the ATF as not armor-piercing, and it is currently manufactured by FN Herstal in Belgium"

Size of these bullets is very close to the Hornady 40gr V-Max

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
            Warrior
            • Oct 2012

I am a 5.7 guy too ( I have several Five seveNs and several PS90's, or I did before that terrible boating accident :cough cough. I didn't mean to make it sound like an ENTIRELY original idea. I also didn't realize the 195 was for sale again. Last I had heard they were only going to offer the 197 in USA#1.

Hard to know what the concept would do in a longer, wider, heavier application however.

Perhaps it is best to see how our new toys turn out before we move on to new playthings. : )

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
              Administrator
              • Feb 2011

Originally posted by koden View Post
              So if someone spins up a solid copper bullet with the same exact same dimensions as a 123 SMK would the lighter weight of the bullet (but same bearing surface) result in significantly more speed or do you have to reduce the bearing surfaces as well as weight to get a significant speed increase?
              If you've got a jacketed lead bullet like the SMK in 123 you'd probably have a solid copper twin in, oh, about 115. You'd get more velocity because of the lighter weight and you wouldn't necessary need to reduce bearing surface length, but you'd probably want to put grooves in it because solid copper is less compressible under the rifling lands than softer lead. That affects the amount of pressure, or push, the burning gunpowder needs to exert to squeeze the bullet through the barrel.
              :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• sneaky one
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

This one has been around a while- I was handed some to try years ago. It was loaded in the Swede, and 1 other 6.5 magnum.

Never did shoot them. I'll see if wife remembers where she moved them to....

Comment

Working...
                X