• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • customcutter
    Warrior
    • Dec 2014

Did someone say 3000fps?

I think this is about the tenth try, but i finally found a way to turn these bullets!

Sneaky said something in another thread about trying to hit 3000fps. This one might do it?
    Attached Files
  • tackdriver
    Warrior
    • Feb 2013

Stuff 30ish grains of xbr 8208 w/mag primer and send it!

Comment

• Drift
      Warrior
      • Nov 2014

I think I pointed out that the first commercial bullet to reach 3000fps was the Savage 257/3000 (aka 250 Savage). Thats like 7/1000ths smaller than the 264 bullets we all use. And since the 264 vs 257 will be shorter for the same bullet weight there should be less friction=more velocity . Now the 87gr 257 was a great varmint round but it was a poor deer round which lacked penetration...but they were not copper which is great at penetration. .. I think you might be on to sonething

Comment

• JASmith
        Chieftain
        • Sep 2014

Should be easy to get 3k fps from an 18 inch barrel with 80 gr bullets.

Might need to go with 20-22" for the 90 gr bullets.

The 95 gr bullets can almost get there but not with much margin
        shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
        -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• customcutter
          Warrior
          • Dec 2014

I guess I'm going to have to break down and buy that chronograph that I've been thinking about buying for several years now. I don't do a lot of reloading, and when I do it's a safe published load. I want to push the Grendel slightly, but will need the chronograph to read those pressure spikes. It's nice to know that if I had too I could make a bullet. It would be neat to harvest game with a bullet I made. I still remember the thrill of harvesting a deer with my first reload, and taking turkeys with my tungsten loads each year.

Drift, I do remember your talking about the .257 when we were machining the lowers. Very interesting, like I said I would have never guessed it was the .257 AKA .250 Savage.
          Last edited by customcutter; 02-04-2016, 11:21 AM.

Comment

• Von Gruff
            Chieftain
            • Apr 2012

Having killed quite a few animals with cast bullets I made, I can attest to the satisfaction of this and I think the challenges of doing it with a brass or copper bullet at substantially higher velocity would be equally satisfying.

Soft noses that are heat joined to a hard shank

and loaded to 2415 fps in my 7x57 Mauser

Did for this one at 185yds

and his friends at the same time when they got on the move after the first shot
            http://www.vongruffknives.com/

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Exodus 20:1-17
            Acts 4:10-12

Comment

• customcutter
              Warrior
              • Dec 2014

Beautiful animals and great shooting. I can occasionally hit a dove on the wing, can't imagine a running shot on a goat at 185 yards!

Comment

• sneaky one
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

CC, yes I took a deer with a Gmx version of the same pill you made up- this last fall. 77 grains of fury. RL 7 is the powder.

Into testing with BFT now with different wts. of the Cerabus pill.

VG, awesome pics of the goats. it's like a - shoot to eat grocery store, we envy you brother.

Comment

Working...
                X