• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dickboxers
    Unwashed
    • Feb 2016

Need help on buffer size

So this is my first build.
    I have DPMS lower built with a Magpul ACS stock. I am planning on a 22" or 24" inch barrel (rifle gas system).

I have been told conflicting things.

1. I need a rifle buffer spring and rifle buffer to match the rifle gas system. First question is I'm not sure the spring will fit in my ACS stock.

2. I have read people using the standard carbine spring and buffer for a 20" barrel (mid length gas system)

Can anyone tell me what the correct buffer system I should use with the rifle gas system on a 6.5 Grendel?

Thanks,
  • terrywick4
    Warrior
    • Sep 2014

Use a buffer and spring to match your buffer tube. the major difference between carbine and Rifle gas system is the length of the gas tube. In theory the rifle length should lower the gas pressure to the carrier The ACS takes a carbine buffer tube. you might have to use a different weighted buffer than standard.

with the long barrel and the acs stock you will be front heavy

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

You can use either carbine tubes with carbine buffers or rifle-length extension tubes with rifle buffers. It doesn't matter, as long as the recoil spring/buffer combo balances out with your gas system.

You can also use an A5 system, which is in the middle.

I actually think the Magpul ACS is one of the ideal stocks for balancing the weight of a longer barrel, because they have a bit of weight to them, if you are going carbine stock.

Here is a 20" barrel with the VLTOR EMOD. This gun balanced out very well.

Last edited by LRRPF52; 02-05-2016, 10:32 PM.
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• terrywick4
        Warrior
        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
        You can use either carbine or rifle-length extension tubes with carbine or rifle buffers. It doesn't matter, as long as the recoil spring/buffer combo balances out with your gas system.
        Do not use a rifle buffer in a carbine buffer tube. The rifle buffer is too long. this come from gun digest:

Do not, under any circumstances, exchange buffers between rifles and carbines. The rifle buffer is too long, and firing a carbine with a rifle buffer in it will cause the buffer tail to strike the end of the tube at higher than designed velocities.If you are lucky, the result will be that the carrier key screws shear off. If the screws do not shear off in time, the lower receiver will crack at the buffer tube threads. The only repair for that particular mistake is a new receiver. Install the proper buffer, and avoid the hassles of a new lower to correct the mistake.

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

Yeah, I wasn't suggesting to mix carbine with rifle tubes and buffers, but I see how it could come across like that.

Keep in mind I've been dealing with these guns since the 1980's, so if you see something I said that looks suspect, I probably didn't word it as best as I could. I'll clarify my post to eliminate confusion.
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
          X