• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kilco
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2016

Grendel reloading components

Hey guys! Just starting to order my reloading components for the Grendel, and before I purchased I thought I would ask for others opinions and experiences. I usually use redding dies, But the price of the Hornady set is very appealing and ive heared good things about them. Torn between the two. Also how does the hornady brass hold up against the lapua for this caliber? I already have 8208 XBR, CFE223, and AR-comp, are there any other powders I should throw into the mix for load development? thanks for your time!
  • TropicalVibe
    Warrior
    • Mar 2015

Kilco,

Welcome to the Horde.

You didn't mention what projectile you are loading, or your goals with the ammo, so my response is pretty generic.

The Hornady die set has been fantastic for me. I have a bunch of other sets for various calibers, including Redding, RCBS, and Dillon. I would say the Hornady set is on par for the money.

I can't speak to the Lapua brass, as I only use Hornady and PPU at this time. I get consistent results from those, and others might say that the PPU brass has a short reloading life, but that has not been my experience. One thing to note about the PPU brass is that it uses large primers.

I am in the process of putting each of the powders that you listed through some work-ups. Each of those perform well, but I am leaning towards 8208 at this time as it seems consistantly available. CFE is really clean and gets good velocities, but my 123 A-Max loads have not grouped well yet. Looks like AR-Comp and 8208 are neck and neck as far as velocity goes. I have also tried TAC, H335, BL-C2, but these didn't perform as well as the previously mentioned three.

There are many folks here with much more insight and knowledge than I, so stay tuned, I'm sure you will get all the info you are looking for. In addition, there is a set of Grendel books available here, that will provide a wealth of information: http://www.ar15buildbox.com/shop/65-...-HandBooks.htm

Good Luck!
    TV
    Last edited by TropicalVibe; 02-05-2016, 09:20 PM.

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

I've been using the Hornady since I got into 6.5 Grendel in 2009.

No issues on my end. Polishing the inside of your sizer die will reduce axial stress on the cases. Varmint Al has a great perspective on this:

reloading, loading, handload, handloading, reload, powder, primer, brass, forming, information, case, preperation, accuracy, precision, mini lathe, lathe, wildcat, moly, coated, bullets, target, targets, download, anneal, caliber, rifle,
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Kilco
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2016

Thanks for the quick reply! Im waiting for a 20" 1:9 upper from AA. I was planning to use the 123 Amax for target and varminting, and for hunting I was going to test with both the 123 SST and the barnes 127 LRX I use in my 264 win mag. With moderate charges, how many loading do you see out of hornady brass? Also, I don't see a lot of people using the Berger 130 AR or hear about the 130 TMK. Are these bullets too long for the Grendel?

Comment

• Rainman
          Bloodstained
          • May 2015

I have Hornady dies in three calibers and they work great. Follow Hornady's instructions for clearance between the sizing die and shell holder measuring with a feeler guage. Depending on the tolerances between the threads on your press and those on the dies be sure the sizing die is snugged down good when you start and check it periodically to make sure it stays tight. A couple of other good powders are Vhitivouri N 540 and N 530 when you can find them and if you don't mind paying the price premium. N 530 has been accurate and consistent across a wide range of bullet weights and my most accurate loads for 120-123 grain bullets have been with N 540.

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Kilco View Post
            Thanks for the quick reply! Im waiting for a 20" 1:9 upper from AA. I was planning to use the 123 Amax for target and varminting, and for hunting I was going to test with both the 123 SST and the barnes 127 LRX I use in my 264 win mag. With moderate charges, how many loading do you see out of hornady brass?
            I don't know yet. I haven't culled but maybe 3 pieces over 7 years now. I just culled my first Lapua brass a few months ago, which is what I started with. I load both Lapua and Hornady brass.

If you're using Imperial Sizing Wax, it will reduce case life, and that's what I suspect caused the neck split on one piece of Lapua brass so far.

I also polished my expander ball on my full length sizing die to reduce tool marks inside the neck, and reduce work hardening.

The Grendel Reloading Handbooks will answer almost all of your questions and more. There is a detailed chapter in Volume II that covers:

* Components for tools
            * Cartridge components like brass, primers, and cases
            * Flash hole sizes and de-capping pin considerations
            * Shoulder set back
            * Primer types appropriate for the AR15
            * Primer set back for gas guns with floating firing pins

I would have said the Barnes 127gr LRX takes up too much case capacity, but a guy used it to hunt Oryx with in Texas with success, so he and the animal didn't get the memo. You might also consider the Nosler 129gr ABLR with 1300fps expansion threshold when looking at premium hunting bullets. For medium game, the 123gr AMAX and SST will kill everything from hogs to mulies to caribou.

Several people killed cow elk last season with 123gr SST from 16" barrels, not that I would choose that bullet, but they filled tags and I didn't (no viable shots), so I can't argue with them.

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• JASmith
              Chieftain
              • Sep 2014

Regarding case life, i got more than 10 reloads, more like 14 from my first batches of Alexander Arms (made by Lapua at the time) and Hornady.

BTW I use Imperial wax. It is possible that folks use too much and get dimples and other unfortunate events. Might have got more than 10-14 reloads but I don't like separations at the case head.

I do know that I stuck a case with One-Shot and had to send the die to Horrnady for resolution.

Never stuck one with Imperial wax.
              shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
              -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• Rugerfan.64
                Warrior
                • May 2014

I've been using Hornady dies since I got my 280 a bunch of years ago. They always seem smoother to me, I credit that to the elliptical expander ball, and the seating die is about as good as it gets with just the regular adjustment. When I get my dies for the Gren they'll be Hornady. I have already found the shell holder. I am thinking AR Comp and hopefully SIERRA will have their hunting bullet available in 123 gr weight available soon.

Comment

• 1911man
                  Warrior
                  • May 2015

I also use the Hornady dies and have had good results. One tip is be sure to also use the Hornday shell holder. I originally ordered a Lee shell holder because the Hornday was out of stock and because of the difference I could not set the shoulder on the case back far enough. Picked up the Hornady shell holder and the problem was fixed. I also use Hornady brass, I bought a crap ton in the beginning so I am only on my 3rd reload with the set I have used the most. I still have like 300 once fired cases for my next batch of loads though. So far I like it; I hate the hornady brass in other calibers though so experiences vary.

You picked three great powders to start with as several guys on the boards have success with each of them. Have fun and let us know how it goes.

Comment

Working...
                  X