• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

New Place, Hogs Down, Part 3

It was a long but very interesting evening. It was nice to finish off the night with long range head shots. As we could not pace off the distances of the shots, we used Google and landmarks. We both agree that my shot was farther (with the Grendel). He thinks they are over 250 yards and I think they are just under. Either way, both were long shots and our longest night shots for either of us.
    Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
  • jawbone
    Warrior
    • Jan 2012

exciting stuff, 00Spy. first shot in first vid DRT'ed that fencepost dead center. man, looked like much fun all the way around. nice NV 250yd shots, too.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
      Chieftain
      • Sep 2013

And you know, that post was DRT. I am afraid I have managed to shoot a tree before like that. We knew the area was clear of livestock and so the only thing at risk with an errant shot was blowing the shot. dfwroadkill and I spoke about this and he warned me beforehand about the fencing and so that was the reason we had to approach as closely as possible to try to avoid having that happen. Then the hogs seemed to get wise and decided to leave and he swung through on that last post. It was the very last one, too. My shooting position was to the right...and my recording was off (ERRRRRR!). So the end result was that we got one hog and not two.

Comment

• pkee
        Bloodstained
        • Nov 2014

Well done . You have too much fun . But , i am glad you share the fun .

Comment

• customcutter
          Warrior
          • Dec 2014

Great shooting guys. Are you both using the one handed Primos tripods? I've been getting by with a camera tripod for now but I need to invest in one of the Primos tripods. I looked at them at ProBass last week, they are a little heavy, but look like a very nice piece of gear.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
            Chieftain
            • Sep 2013

Yes, on the tripods. They are a little heavy and if you don't manage right, can be noisy. I have a jury-rigged carry strap that my partner is testing out as well. It makes stalking a little easier, but slightly more difficult to deploy quickly.

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

Very nice. That was some fine shooting at distance gents. For tripod rifle mounting, I highly recommend the HOG or PIG saddles from Hogsaddle.com.

Pretty much the gold standard in rifle mounts for tripods.

You can pull the yoke off the Primo and install the HOG or PIG saddle for a much more stable set-up. The V shaped yoke is not very conducive to keeping the gun stable or level, as you already have seen.

The HOG or PIG on top of Primos will be something you will really enjoy, trust me.
              Last edited by LRRPF52; 02-08-2016, 04:44 AM.
              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                Chieftain
                • Sep 2013

Very nice. That was some fine shooting at distance gents. For tripod rifle mounting, I highly recommend the HOG or PIG saddles from Hogsaddle.com.

Pretty much the gold standard in rifle mounts for tripods.

You can pull the yoke off the Primo and install the HOG or PIG saddle for a much more stable set-up. The V shaped yoke is not very conducive to keeping the gun stable or level, as you already have seen.

The HOG or PIG on top of Primos will be something you will really enjoy, trust me.
                Nice bit of kit. I am sure you like yours, but I think that would be one of those things I would need to see and use before spending over $300 and adding another 1 lb. to what I carry. I see they have the less expensive Pig Saddle (out of stock) but while it looks smaller, is 1.4 lbs.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                  Super Moderator
                  • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
                  Nice bit of kit. I am sure you like yours, but I think that would be one of those things I would need to see and use before spending over $300 and adding another 1 lb. to what I carry. I see they have the less expensive Pig Saddle (out of stock) but while it looks smaller, is 1.4 lbs.
                  I've been chasing this rabbit since the early 1990's. In the 3 different Scout Platoons and LRS Company I was in, we had played with all kinds of different solutions for the sniper systems and spotting scopes, which consisted of PVC pipe, hose clamps, MRE case cardboard, and 100mph tape, none of which were satisfactory.

As soon as I saw and handled the HOG and PIG saddles, my response was, "Where was this 20 years ago?" Just get the PIG saddle. I like to have them for attendees at my DM courses, and they sell quickly. The PIG saddle is fine.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                    Chieftain
                    • Sep 2013

Yep, Pig Saddles are still out of stock.

So I tried emailing them via the email on their website. Two tries and two types the email has bounced back.
                    Last edited by Double Naught Spy; 02-08-2016, 05:19 PM.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                      Super Moderator
                      • Sep 2014

Just order from US Tactical Supply. I called up Josh at Hogsaddle.com, and he said everything is working on the email end. He's having a hard time keeping up with demand for them, and said US Tactical Supply, Euro Optics, and another distributor have them.

US Tactical Supply the premiere provider of quality tactical accessories. Serving Military, Law Enforcement, First Responders, and the public. Your mission matters, so does your gear.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2015

How well do they work with a round free float tube.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                          Chieftain
                          • Sep 2013

Well, I sent an email just a minute ago and it didn't bounce this time. So maybe that is back up.

Euro Optics is Out of Stock.
                          Can't verify "another distributor" LOL
                          US Tactical does have them. Am ordering 1. I am expecting this to be absolutely amazing when used with Triggersticks based on your suggestion.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                            Super Moderator
                            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
                            How well do they work with a round free float tube.
                            The inside of the jaws is layered with an elastomer grid that clamps to pretty much anything.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• LRRPF52
                              Super Moderator
                              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
                              Well, I sent an email just a minute ago and it didn't bounce this time. So maybe that is back up.

Euro Optics is Out of Stock.
                              Can't verify "another distributor" LOL
                              US Tactical does have them. Am ordering 1. I am expecting this to be absolutely amazing when used with Triggersticks based on your suggestion.
                              You can leave your gun clamped into the tripod really, depending on how stable the tripod is. I can leave it clamped in and it just stays put.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                              X