• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1911man
    Warrior
    • May 2015

Originally posted by BarrelNut View Post
    I'm going to load up some 1.785", 1.745", and 1.705" bullets and single load them to see how they perform.

If those longer loads shoot great, I'll be selling this Radical barrel and buying a 24" Satern barrel. Component cost is too high to mess around forever with a barrel that has showed zero promise!
    This is a barrel I have had my eyes on for some time. I believe all of Raniers ultra match barrels have a sub MOA guarantee: https://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-...ndel-barrel-22

Comment

• tommag
      Bloodstained
      • Oct 2015

I have the radical 24" upper and mine prefers the 85 sierras and the 100 gr amax. Using the stony point guage, the 100 a max has a jump of .05. I just measured the Sierra 100 gr flat base hp and it will touch the lands at 2.223. I know it doesn't have a high bc, but I think it'll be a good choice for 300 yds or less.
      Last edited by tommag; 02-10-2016, 02:08 AM. Reason: can't do arithmetic

Comment

• BarrelNut
        Bloodstained
        • Nov 2015

Tommag- Did you try the 123 AMAX's? What magazine are you using and what is the OAL on the 100gr Amax load?

Comment

• tommag
          Bloodstained
          • Oct 2015

I've only shot a half box of 123 amax and the accuracy wasn't great, about 1.25"@100 yds.
          I'm loading the 100 amax with an oal of 2.25", giving me a jump of .05". This was in lapua brass, cci 450, and 30.2 grs of 8208. This load have me a .4 group the first time, and similar results the next trip. I did get a couple flyers out of a group of ten, but I wasn't shooting well that day. I'm going to try that load again tomorrow.
          I'm using asc magazines.

The 30.2 gr 8208 load was with 100 gr amax.
          Last edited by tommag; 02-10-2016, 12:27 AM.

Comment

• bwaites
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by tommag View Post
            I've only shot a half box of 123 amax and the accuracy wasn't great, about 1.25"@100 yds.
            I'm loading the 100 amax with an oal of 2.25", giving me a jump of .055". This was in lapua brass, cci 450, and 30.2 grs of 8208. This load have me a .4 group the first time, and similar results the next trip. I did get a couple flyers out of a group of ten, but I wasn't shooting well that day. I'm going to try that load again tomorrow.
            I'm using asc magazines.
            30.2 of 8208? That's a STIFF load, almost 2 grains beyond the max loads I've seen recommended. Is that number right?

Comment

• tommag
              Bloodstained
              • Oct 2015

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
              30.2 of 8208? That's a STIFF load, almost 2 grains beyond the max loads I've seen recommended. Is that number right?
              The 30.2 gr load is with the 100 gr. Amax, not the 123 gr a max. From the grendel book, BWild97 shows going up to 31 grs.. Groups started to open up for me above 30.2 grs.
              Last edited by tommag; 02-10-2016, 12:28 AM.

Comment

• BarrelNut
                Bloodstained
                • Nov 2015

That's great to hear tommag. Looking forward to see how your further tests turn out.

Comment

• tommag
                  Bloodstained
                  • Oct 2015

After learning that I can seat the Sierra 100 gr hp into the lands, I loaded 25 of them with #41 primers and wcc 844 with a .003 jump. I started at 29 grs and went up to 31 grs in .5 gr increments. I'm optimistic, but I've been disappointed before.
                  In my chamber, I find almost nothing that will seat close to the lands with a reasonable amount of bullet in the neck.

Comment

• tommag
                    Bloodstained
                    • Oct 2015

The 100 amax didn't do well today, 15 rounds in 1.4". I switched primers, from cci 450 to #41s. I dont think that would account for that big a change.
                    Two different powder charge weights with the 100 Sierra fbhp grouped at .78 and .82. That was the best I could do today.

Comment

• JASmith
                      Chieftain
                      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by tommag View Post
                      The 100 amax didn't do well today, 15 rounds in 1.4". I switched primers, from cci 450 to #41s. I dont think that would account for that big a change.
                      Two different powder charge weights with the 100 Sierra fbhp grouped at .78 and .82. That was the best I could do today.
                      FIFTEEN rounds in 1.4" is doing very well thank you!

That should work out to sub moa for a large fraction of one's 5-shot groups.

If, on the other hand, the "1" in front of the "5" is a typo, then I can understand your frustration...
                      shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
                      -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• tommag
                        Bloodstained
                        • Oct 2015

Originally posted by JASmith View Post
                        FIFTEEN rounds in 1.4" is doing very well thank you!

That should work out to sub moa for a large fraction of one's 5-shot groups.

If, on the other hand, the "1" in front of the "5" is a typo, then I can understand your frustration...
                        No, not a typo. Measuring with calipers, it's more like 1.6" most are clustered tighter than that, but 4 shots are out a bit. I've got my brass in the media, next time going back to 450's and see if that's the problem.

Comment

• JASmith
                          Chieftain
                          • Sep 2014

There is a neat statistical analysis at http://the-long-family.com/group_size_analysis.htm.

The table gives group size correction factors. The factor for 15 shots is 0.590 so your 1.6" group suggests that your dispersion is more more like 0.94 inches.

To get an idea of what this means, a rifle and ammo combo producing a series of five shot groups that average 1" center to center will have a dispersion of 0.876 inches.

Have you considered using a different aimpoint for each five shot group?
                          Last edited by JASmith; 02-11-2016, 01:16 AM.
                          shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
                          -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• tommag
                            Bloodstained
                            • Oct 2015

I'm not educated enough to wrap my head around the statistical analysis stuff. Normally, I shoot five shot groups, but had an almost full magazine and there was only one point on the target left. This was my last shooting for the day and I decided to bang them off rapidly to heat the bbl up a bit for cleaning.
                            I cleaned my brass today, and loaded 20 with cci 450s and the 30.2 8208 load to see if the primer makes that big a difference. In loading them, I introduced another variable, seating the bullets as far out as I could and still fit the magazine. I'm thinking this will improve things, with only a .005 jump.
                            I was pleasantly surprised by the cheap PRVI 120 gr bullets today. Under an inch for five shots is way better than I expected from them. I'll have to try them with a bit of tweaking.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                              Super Moderator
                              • Sep 2014

I just saw Radical Firearms pop up again for barrels turning out of the extensions while being fired, not from muzzle device removal.

They said there was a vendor they were using at one time that had problems with the nitriding of barrels, so I hope that doesn't apply to these for those who got them.
                              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• tommag
                                Bloodstained
                                • Oct 2015

Mine is a stainless barrel, so I don't think I have that problem. They are cheap and I probably got what I paid for. Being new to the ar world, I don't have a baseline to compare to, but it's more accurate than my old mini 14. Not much of a comparison, but I've always had bolts and pumps.

Comment

Working...
                                X