• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JASmith
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by tommag View Post
    I'm not educated enough to wrap my head around the statistical analysis stuff. Normally, I shoot five shot groups, but had an almost full magazine and there was only one point on the target left. This was my last shooting for the day and I decided to bang them off rapidly to heat the bbl up a bit for cleaning...
    Understood.

Most of us are statistically challenged.

Rules of thumb for groups:
    1) Some report 3-shot results because they are so easy to cherry pick.
    2) 5-shot groups are better than 3-shot because it gives two more chances for the underlying distribution to appear.
    3) 10-shot groups are better but burn a bunch of ammo

People tend to accept the 5-shot group as reliable even though repeating the exercise several times while tracking both group size and center is a better indicator.

Shooting more groups or more shots per group helps get more trigger time.
    shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
    -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• BarrelNut
      Bloodstained
      • Nov 2015

Well, it's still in the negatives here for weather, haven't got out to shoot at all but did find a few more bullets to try. My selection was based on the OAL of the Bullet, and the Base to Ogive measurement. I then calculated the Ogive to Tip, and choose the bullets with the shortest Ogive to Tip measurement. This should get me closer to the lands without running into magazine length issues.

I found the following Ogive to Tip measurements:
      123 AMAX = 0.583
      123 Sierra HPBT = .5875
      120 Sierra HPBT = .509
      120 Nosler BTip = .535
      107 Sierra HPBT = .614
      130 Berger AR Hybrid = .630

I purchased the 100 AMAX even though I didn't find measurements, the 120gr Nosler BTips, the 120gr Sierra HPBT, and the 123gr Nosler Custom Comps since people say they have a longer Ogive and they have a .51BC.

I'm curious to try the 100 AMAX @ 2.250" OAL and XBR/CFE, since others with this load in the Radical Grendel II Chamber have had decent luck with it.

Comment

• D.Davis
        Warrior
        • Sep 2013

100 AMAX shoots very well in my rifle. Dave.

Comment

• BarrelNut
          Bloodstained
          • Nov 2015

Do you have a radical / Grendel II chamber Dave?

Comment

• D.Davis
            Warrior
            • Sep 2013

Lilja Grendel barrel. Dave

Comment

• tj_farmer
              Bloodstained
              • Dec 2015

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
              Did the rifle come with an accuracy guarantee? I wouldn't expect anything but functionality, and even that's a stretch for what they're offering these at.

Look at some of the reviews outside of their own site.
              my buddy had a problem with a radical, they had it for a week when he sent it back shoots .4-.7moa now, he said they were excellent to deal with....he said when he called if the gun was shooting over 1.0 moa with good weather, marksmen, and ammo, somethings not right...a lot of reports of .5moa...mine shoots .3-.5 with hornady amax factory ammo with a bipod and a bag. Nothing wrong with radical as a company. but they do push out ALOT of uppers and guns. I think they said the week of the exc. orders they had 4500 orders that week

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by tj_farmer View Post
                my buddy had a problem with a radical, they had it for a week when he sent it back shoots .4-.7moa now, he said they were excellent to deal with....he said when he called if the gun was shooting over 1.0 moa with good weather, marksmen, and ammo, somethings not right...a lot of reports of .5moa...mine shoots .3-.5 with hornady amax factory ammo with a bipod and a bag. Nothing wrong with radical as a company. but they do push out ALOT of uppers and guns. I think they said the week of the exc. orders they had 4500 orders that week
                On AR15.com, there have been several instances reported of barrels untorquing just from being fired.

Radical said they had a bad batch from one vendor, and seemed to be trying to handle the CS side of it reasonably. The comments I found the most interesting were the ones from people in the area who visited their location.
                NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• BarrelNut
                  Bloodstained
                  • Nov 2015

Well I shot it again today and it was all above 1MOA... I took some measurements on the break and found out it is off center. Any chance that could be causing an issue?

I emailed Radical and talked with a rep named Neil. We'll see what happens here.

Break 2.jpgBreak 1.jpg

Comment

• BarrelNut
                    Bloodstained
                    • Nov 2015

And just to show I'm a capable shooter, here's a couple groups out of my Savage

File_003 - Copy.jpeg

Comment

• LRRPF52
                      Super Moderator
                      • Sep 2014

The chamber is the big thing. Anything not concentric on the muzzle isn't going to help matters though.
                      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• 1911man
                        Warrior
                        • May 2015

Originally posted by BarrelNut View Post
                        Well I shot it again today and it was all above 1MOA... I took some measurements on the break and found out it is off center. Any chance that could be causing an issue?

I emailed Radical and talked with a rep named Neil. We'll see what happens here.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7610[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]7611[/ATTACH]
                        Can you take the brake off to test it without it?

Comment

• tj_farmer
                          Bloodstained
                          • Dec 2015

call radical and I think the guy I talked to was Tim before I bought mine

Comment

• tj_farmer
                            Bloodstained
                            • Dec 2015

on the barrels loose, was this recent? I thought what I read and asked them on was from last year? do you think the chamber/barrel isn't setup correctly? theres a ton of Grendel 2 uppers shooting very very good out there to say its the chamber spec. itself...I know some guys seem to think it can only be done one way.
                            Last edited by tj_farmer; 02-15-2016, 04:25 AM.

Comment

• BarrelNut
                              Bloodstained
                              • Nov 2015

Originally posted by 1911man View Post
                              Can you take the brake off to test it without it?
                              The break is on there pretty dang tight....much tighter than I ever set my 5.56 breaks. I'd rather have the company mess with it.

Comment

• 1911man
                                Warrior
                                • May 2015

Originally posted by BarrelNut View Post
                                The break is on there pretty dang tight....much tighter than I ever set my 5.56 breaks. I'd rather have the company mess with it.
                                I doubt the brake is the problem, but if you take it off and shoot without it you can eliminate that variable. I had a problem years ago with a muzzle brake that I couldnt figure out. My rifle was shooting great before installing the brake and then after it shot like crap. I took the brake back off and the gun was back to normal. I sent the thing back to where I bought it from. I have had several muzzle brakes on several fire arms and never had an issue except that one gun.

Comment

Working...
                                X