• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joseph5
    Warrior
    • Oct 2012

Ballistic Apps

I went to get one on my phone and I didn't realize there were so many. Are there 1 or 2 that are clearly better than others? I don't mind paying for a good one. My rifles have Vortex Viper HS LR scopes on them with the MOA XLR reticles so they would have to give corrections in MOA and I will be shooting out to 1000 yards for now. Thank you, Joseph
  • m796rider
    Warrior
    • Jul 2011

Strelok Pro is great because it has just about every reticle ever invented so you can see what your ammo is doing in your exact scope. This is especially useful if you have a BDC-type reticle that is calibrated to one load but you want to see what it does with YOUR load.

The other one I use is Ballistic because it has a useful HUD mode that lets you quickly dial distance to target and wind and see your click adjustments in big numbers.

Comment

• Fredman
      Warrior
      • Sep 2014

I use I Snipe. Been very happy with it, but I am not a competition shooter. Worth a look.

Comment

• Joseph5
        Warrior
        • Oct 2012

Thank you for the responses, I have looked at Strelok briefly, I have not seen I Snipe and I will take a look at it. The wife and I are just getting into long range shooting and I want to keep it fun for her.

Comment

• JASmith
          Chieftain
          • Sep 2014

I have used Strelok Pro for casual long range shooting.

Seeing where the bullet will hit in your scope is really helpful.

Strelok seems to have simplified on software I wrote earlier to illustrate the sight picture ine needs for a hit. This is more complicated for the user, I think. But who knows? The link is http://shootersnotes.com/calculator/...ight-pictures/
          Last edited by JASmith; 02-18-2016, 07:42 PM.
          shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
          -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• bwaites
            • Mar 2011

I have 4 on my I phone, (yes, I know I'm a bit anal!), but I use Ballistic AE the most. Strelok Pro has some great features, and now Brian Litz has come out with one that I am considering. Some have features that I like better than others, so I may use the heads up on Ballistic AE, but print charts from another. I have not yet played with Litz's, (Applied Ballistics) but his work is generally incredibly accurate and detailed.

Comment

• ahorseman
              Unwashed
              • Nov 2015

First time with Strelok a and long range with my 264 and it was amazing out to 800 with a 17 mph 145degree wind. Both the rifle and the software. Spinta 20 inch barrel

Comment

• CastorTroy
                Warrior
                • Mar 2015

strelok got me first round hits on half size ipsc steel from 300 to 550 yards, last time i had mine out that far

Comment

• Bill257
                  Bloodstained
                  • Oct 2015

I am interested in these apps as well. Hoped to get one good one so I wouldn't be switching back and forth between apps on the phone. My quick review of the top Google play store recommendations had me leaning toward the Applied Ballistics offering. I like the reputation it has for a high degree of accuracy and ability to save multiple loads for each rifle, but not it's limited choice of reticles. Seems they are geared toward a mil dot scope that is dialed up.

The comments about Strelok's vast reticle library have me going back to give them another look.

PS some scope manufactures have their own app - oddly Leupold does not (that I can find)

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2015

I use the Strelok app on my phone it has all the vortex reticals in it.

Comment

• am4966
                      Chieftain
                      • Jul 2014

If your gonna be serious, than Tarsol it's pricey but works great. I have Sterlok pro and they really need to update the reticles.
                      12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
                      Surge - Rugged Suppressor
                      Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• LRRPF52
                        Super Moderator
                        • Sep 2014

I use Strelok and Lapua's, but mostly Strelok.

I've been looking at Applied Ballistics as my next purchase.

Make sure when you enter your environmental and weather data not to double input both altitude and barometric pressure. What I do is input my baro pressure and temp off my Kestrel. That will give you very high hit probability if you know your mv and actual BC from Litz, not manufacturer's advertised BC's.
                        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Joseph5
                          Warrior
                          • Oct 2012

Thank you all for the replies, I need to spend some time now looking at the ones mentioned. I have never even heard of Tarsol. LRRPF52 are you saying put in either altitude or barometric pressure and temp? I am thinking actual pressure and temp are more accurate?

Comment

• Fredman
                            Warrior
                            • Sep 2014

On the I snipe, there are several app manufacturer YouTube instructional videos. If anyone has used this and compared it to some of the ones mentioned, I would be interested. The only downfall I see so far is reticule choices- Nightforce only.

Comment

Working...
                            X