• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shannongto
    Unwashed
    • Feb 2016

need help deciding between Ruger Precision Rifle in 6mm or 6.5mm

A new shop is opening up with 2 Creedmoors, 2 243's and 6 308s... I'm going to be shooting F Class along with it being a hunting rifle... What would yall get if it was you.....and why.A friend was saying I should get it reamed to a 243AI also so that's an option
    Last edited by shannongto; 02-24-2016, 09:25 PM.
  • Kilco
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2016

If you want to be competitive, you can count the 308 out. (LOVE that caliber but can't hang with the other two in competition, especially with a 20" tube) Big decider between .243 and 6.5 cm is if you handload. 6.5cm has arguably the best factory match loads avalable (Hornady, copper creek, ABM) and you will get longer barrel life than with the .243. Now if you handload the .243 can be just as competitive as the 6.5, but keep in mind you will want to start saving for a new barrel pushing the 105gr match bullets and up at competitive velocities. And if this is a hunting rifle as well, you will carry more energy further with the 6.5. Just my .2

Comment

• bwaites
      • Mar 2011

You can shoot FTR with .308 (and .223) but nothing else, so .308 is plenty competitive. It's nowhere the arms race that F Open is. If you are going to shoot F Open, you will be at a disadvantage to the 7mm WSM/SAUM and .280/.284 crowd.

Comment

• Kilco
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2016

Good point bwaites. If you do decide to go 308 I have a boat load of good info/loads/velocity exec for a 20" 308. One of my favorite build to target shoot out to 900 yards. I've taken my build to 1k, but it gets frustrating (for me) quickly. The wind really becomes your daddy around the transonic zone.

Comment

• shannongto
          Unwashed
          • Feb 2016

It was always between the 6mm and 6.5... I was just posting how many this new shop had and I have been looking for months! Yall got a point on the hunting part... The Creedmoor has the advantage there... I'm doing load development on a buddy's creed right now... It loves the 140gr Berger with 41.4gr of Hybrid 100. It's bullet on top of bullet after the cold bore shot!

Comment

• am4966
            Chieftain
            • Jul 2014

If it's a stock RPR than the 6.5 creed since it seems you have a better chance of getting one that will shoot sub MOA right out the box. I have read that the 243 and 308 have a greater chance of not shooting. The good thing is they already have after market parts for it. Barrels and other things.
            12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
            Surge - Rugged Suppressor
            Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

Working...
            X