• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ppierceall
    Unwashed
    • Feb 2016

Breaking in a New Barrel and Cleaning

I just ordered a new 6.5 Grendel Upper from Precision Firearms - For those who compete what is your procedure of breaking in a new barrel and cleaning. With my AR15 I use a bore snake with Gun Scrubber and G96. But I am sure with my 6.5 set up there may be a better way.
  • am4966
    Chieftain
    • Jul 2014

PF might send barrel break in, if not you can go to the barrel mfg website for suggestions.

I use a Dewey rod with the Vfg adapter and pellets. Solvents will be Frog Lube and if that doesn't work, then I'll go back to Fireclean. In my match barrels I won't use a wire brush in the bore. Maybe it's just me...
    12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
    Surge - Rugged Suppressor
    Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• LR1955
      Super Moderator
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by ppierceall View Post
      I just ordered a new 6.5 Grendel Upper from Precision Firearms - For those who compete what is your procedure of breaking in a new barrel and cleaning. With my AR15 I use a bore snake with Gun Scrubber and G96. But I am sure with my 6.5 set up there may be a better way.
      What you are doing is fine.

Once every couple hundred rounds you should probably break the AR down and clean in a conventional manner using rods, patches, and brushes. More so to clean the bolt and carrier and to inspect gas rings and cam pin than much else.

If you have a bore cleaner and lube you trust, keep using it.

LR55

Comment

• lwminton
        Warrior
        • Nov 2014

Originally posted by ppierceall View Post
        I use Bore Tech Eliminator, but whatever you use to final clean get a can of WIPE-OUT foam cleaner. When you are done shooting spray it up the warm barrel - it coats the entire bore. I let a little get into the chamber and lower the bolt on it. By the time you get home, run a patch down and most of the gunk and some of the copper will be gone. Finish with Bore Tech if you like.

Comment

• din
          Warrior
          • Feb 2015

I am entirely the wrong person to answer this. My break-in consists of shooting the gun, and cleaning consists of dropping a bore snake down the pipe occasionally.

Comment

Working...
          X