• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stanc
    Banned
    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
    Most everyone already knows.
    Yeah, they should know by now. I'd just like to see a good, first-class presentation on 6.5 Grendel capabilities in the NDIA Small Arms meeting, and there's probably no one who is better qualified.

Comment

• bwaites
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by stanc View Post
      Yeah, they should know by now. I'd just like to see a good, first-class presentation on 6.5 Grendel capabilities in the NDIA Small Arms meeting, and there's probably no one who is better qualified.
      I vote for it! How do I get in?

Comment

• stanc
        Banned
        • Apr 2011

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
        I vote for it! How do I get in?
        It's been a long time since I was an NDIA member, so I don't know the current requirements.

The NDIA site may have the needed info, or appropriate points of contact: http://www.ndia.org/

This year's conference is 25-28 April, which doesn't give much time to put together a presentation.
        2016 Armament Systems Forum Themeshttp://www.ndia.org/meetings/6610/Pages/default.aspx
        2016 Schedule of Events: http://www.ndia.org/meetings/Pages/default.aspx

At the Small Arms System meeting that I went to in Tacoma in 1994, there was an exhibit area where manufacturers and other organizations could display their products. I imagine this is still done.

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

I also looked at my drop data for 1000yds in the conditions we had, and reverse-calculated the numbers to see if the BC is correct for the 123gr AMAX.

If I use 2520fps for mv (which is right where I think I'm at with this load), with the barometric pressure we had, and the temps we had, looking at my real-world drop of 12 mils confirms the .468 G1 BC that I think is in JBM.

If anyone has JBM, they can maybe check and confirm. It's certainly not the advertised BC of .510 from Hornady. Even still, it's a great bullet that flies true for me, even at ELR from a short barrel, which is more than I ever expected for $27/100 heads.
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• dfp23
            Bloodstained
            • Nov 2015

I concur with all you guys- this weapon should have been in the hands of all of our operators years ago... At the very least all DMs and snipers. I know I would have been a more effective Sniper. Unfortunately, those who hold decision making authority/ purse strings have never fired a shot in anger or ever will. Just my 2 cents based on multiple combat tours in OIF. I apologize for the rant- it's something that has always got under my skin.
            Last edited by dfp23; 03-09-2016, 05:51 AM.

Comment

• bwaites
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by dfp23 View Post
              I concur with all you guys- this weapon should have been in the hands of all of our operators years ago... At the very least all DMs and snipers. I know I would have been a more effective Sniper. Unfortunately, those who hold decision making authority/ purse strings have never fired a shot in anger or ever will. Just my 2 cents based on multiple combat tours in OEF. I apologize for the rant- it's something that has always got under my skin.
              Not a rant in my view, only a valid opinion from someone who's been there and done that! Thank you for your service!

Comment

• newb
                Warrior
                • Feb 2015

Originally posted by dfp23 View Post
                I concur with all you guys- this weapon should have been in the hands of all of our operators years ago... At the very least all DMs and snipers. I know I would have been a more effective Sniper. Unfortunately, those who hold decision making authority/ purse strings have never fired a shot in anger or ever will. Just my 2 cents based on multiple combat tours in OIF. I apologize for the rant- it's something that has always got under my skin.
                Telling it how it is with a little flare isn't a rant. It's the needed "how the cow eats the cabbage."

I feel your pain. Seems no matter where you go, those in high places making decisions don't have a clue about what it's like in the trenches are never the ones who have to live with, deal with, and suffer from the consequences of their bad decisions. As long as they can make it look good on paper.....

Comment

• NugginFutz
                  Chieftain
                  • Aug 2013

We civilians and ex-grunts aren't the only ones to feel this way. Even some of the upper level army brass has begun to sound off in opposition to the government's present (and archaic) selection process. Here is a story which quotes Army Chief of Staff Gen. Mark Milley on his views of the XM17 MHS competition and the associated selection process.

I especially enjoyed reading where he offered to take the $17M being spent on MHS, and calling Cabelas to buy Glocks for every serviceman while getting a discount for a bulk buy.

Considering the anticipated overall cost of replacing the M9 at $350 million, such a purchase could net the American taxpayer about $333M in savings and result in a better selection for the next generation's sidearm.

Anyone taking bets on how soon this general gets neutered and sent to pasture for being politically incorrect and making too much sense?
                  If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• dfp23
                    Bloodstained
                    • Nov 2015

I saw that article too. Yep he'll get canned soon- it is still a non-permissive environment for top level brass. I am glad see he grabbed a pair and sounded off! Pretty rare these days.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                      Super Moderator
                      • Sep 2014

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• LRRPF52
                        Super Moderator
                        • Sep 2014

Went camping this weekend. Took this same Grendel out to see if I could get any shooting in. Brought on of my steel poppers and hiked it out as far as I could.

I decided to have some fun and see if I could estimate range with mil relation, since I know the exact dims of the plate to be 12". The sun had gone down by the time I got back to the campsite, so I was working with limited light availability. Looked at my Kestrel for barometric pressure and temp, plus my max and average wind speeds. I had a full value wind from right to left between 5-10mph.

Target was .6 mils wide through the scope. I use any inch measures in fractions of a yard indicated without the decimal, so 12" working number is 333 (1/3 of 36").

Take TGT dims divided by mils read = range in yards. In this case, 333 / .6 = 555yds estimated. Strelok said I needed 4.2 mils.

I dialed up 4.2, held .75 mils into the wind, settled the gun on the barely visible little plate in the dark, exhaled as I took up slack in the trigger, hit respiratory pause and broke the shot, followed through while listening for the hit. Couldn't hear a hit, but the kid with my electronic muffs said he heard it, so I let off 2 more, which I heard impact 2x.

Hiked up to the target and found 3 hits.

This is what it looked like through the spotter scope in the morning.

It's like you can't miss with this little rifle, if you know what you're doing.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Creature
                          Unwashed
                          • Mar 2016

I have been wanting to build a 20" Grendel for a little while now. I have been looking at Lilja barrels...as well as Shilen barrels. The Shilen barrels are sold with a bolt combo so I I am very interested to hear if Lilja barrels are worth the added expense and why.
                          Festina Lente

Comment

• LRRPF52
                            Super Moderator
                            • Sep 2014

I have zero regrets about my Lilja barrel. This is my favorite rifle, more so than any rifle I have ever owned. It can do pretty much anything I would ever need a rifle to do.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Jbjayzon
                              Bloodstained
                              • Nov 2015

LR. What is the total weight loaded with 10 rds

Comment

• LRRPF52
                                Super Moderator
                                • Sep 2014

Rifle with Unimount, Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x32 MRAD

Empty: 7 lbs 12oz
                                w/10rd Mag: 8 lbs 8 oz
                                w/10rd mag and 9" bipod: 9 lbs 6 oz

So you have something that weighs between an M4 and an M16A2, but is the length of the SPR, with better reach and faster on-target performance than the M40 or M24, with more magazine capacity than the M14 or SR25, with less than half the recoil of the .308 Win.

Retained energy with a 123gr is at 300yds what a 150gr .30-30 is at 100yds. Wind drift is like the 175gr SMK or better. In every category, there's all kinds of things to like.

Lightweight
                                Hard hitting
                                Low recoil
                                High hit probability
                                Fast follow-up shot
                                Excellent wind cutting

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                                X