X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jbjayzon
    Bloodstained
    • Nov 2015

I've been wanting to build a light hunter, what's it going to cost me. Less buttstock and optic?

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

You can get a complete upper from AA with an 18" fluted light barrel right now for $760, ready to drop on.

I can't match that with just component cost before assembly with the route I went.

If you want to start with a Lilja barrel, the Lilja 318 barrel will be $485. Once all is said and done, you'll be well over $1000. Last time I added everything up, I think I was at least $1700 into this one.
      Last edited by LRRPF52; 03-20-2016, 09:41 PM.
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Jbjayzon
        Bloodstained
        • Nov 2015

I would like your opinion on this, AA has a side charging upper with bc. And a 16' stainless light barrel on sale for 195.00 would these 2 mate well togather?

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

Everything is plug-and-play with the AR15. AA has a factory model rifle that uses the side charger upper, with fluted 18" barrel in the Light Hunter offerings.

It's a pretty slick set-up for hunting because you can ride the charge handle forward and ensure a full seat of the cartridge.

I personally just lock and load once we dismount the ATVs, horses, or vehicle right before departing by foot into whatever hunting area I'm in.

Carrying around a little lightweight AR15 sure beats a bolt gun for me. My beloved Pre-64 Model 70 in .270 Winchester sits on the shelf as a result. It's also nice not having to worry about rust on blued actions. I just Cerakote everything and worry about the bore and BCG occasionally.

I haven't cleaned this Lilja barrel Grendel in a long time, to be honest, and I'm at the range almost every week.

I think all those years of cleaning M16s and M4s counts as a pay-it-forward credit towards my current guns, right?

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

So I went back to look over my ballistic data for this 123gr AMAX load, and I actually have muzzle velocity data from a range trip last year when I chrono'd some other loads.

My mv with 31.2gr of CFE with a 123gr Hornady SST was only 2435fps from this Lilja barrel.

I need to chrono these 123gr AMAX, but the velocities will not be higher on average, in my experience.

That means that the BC on the 123gr AMAX has to be a lot higher than .468 G1. That just doesn't work out.

By looking at where my actual impacts were at 1000yds, I ended up with 12 Mils of elevation.

Since I recorded the barometric pressure and temperature, I know what my critical atmospheric variables were.

I'm going to use .490 for a G1 BC, at least out of this 8 twist 17.6" pipe. I also notice that my impacts at distance are always high when using .468 G1 BC.

When I use the advertised .510, they are low, so we're somewhere in between is my conclusion.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Daveyboy
              Unwashed
              • Mar 2016

Excellent info in this thread. Thank you all.

I am just getting into the Grendel. I will report back my findings.

Comment

• TomSawyerNW
                Warrior
                • Nov 2015

Great shooting! What scope are you using? I'm looking to get a Vortex Viper 6 x 24 x 50mm. Any suggestions?
                If the Democrats had been in power when this country was founded, we'd be the British.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                  Super Moderator
                  • Sep 2014

I'm using the 2.5-10x32 PST MRAD on this little rifle, in a NightForce Unimount. I have better than 20/20 vision though, and depending on the size of your rifle, you might want to choose something with more magnification.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Grendelseeker
                    Bloodstained
                    • Jul 2016

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                    You can get a complete upper from AA with an 18" fluted light barrel right now for $760, ready to drop on.

I can't match that with just component cost before assembly with the route I went.

If you want to start with a Lilja barrel, the Lilja 318 barrel will be $485. Once all is said and done, you'll be well over $1000. Last time I added everything up, I think I was at least $1700 into this one.
                    Yup, I've been lurking and perusing...Finally started a Word doc to list stuff. The $1700 number is pretty much what I hit with a Giselle & Lija 19". Every combo I run seems to be no better than what a full rifle from AA is. My big question is would it be more accurate with the Lija or other tube of that quality. I've run several scenarios considering mainly quality various coatings and they all come out with pretty much the same numbers $1620 - $1900. I kinda got hung up on kryptic coatings which adds a complication.

Comment

• Grendelseeker
                      Bloodstained
                      • Jul 2016

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                      Everything is plug-and-play with the AR15. AA has a factory model rifle that uses the side charger upper, with fluted 18" barrel in the Light Hunter offerings.

It's a pretty slick set-up for hunting because you can ride the charge handle forward and ensure a full seat of the cartridge.

I personally just lock and load once we dismount the ATVs, horses, or vehicle right before departing by foot into whatever hunting area I'm in.
                      I'd like a side charger because of the ergonomics and it's more old school (like me). And because they just look cool. But it's about $200 more.

What do you mean "because you can ride the charge handle forward and ensure a full seat of the cartridge."? Why would you need to do that? You mean carry w/ one in the chamber but not fully seated for safety purposes?

I've been considering the AA SCHUNT but the 18" tube has held me back. Now I'm thinking maybe I don't need a 20" for anything but pushing the limit of the cartridge at that weight level. For SHTF and hunting under 300 yards the 80 fps probably doesn't matter as long as the accuracy is as good, which from what I'm reading, it is.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2015

Rideing the charge handle forward means, instead of hitting the charge button and letting the bcg slam home you can hold the charging handle that is built in to the bcg and when you release the bcg with the button you can control it and let it slide slowely and queitly forward till it hits the extention and then apply a light force to seat the bolt and round very queitly.

Are you can save the 200 bucks and just chamber a round normally before you walk to your stand in the woods.

The side chargers are cool looking and I like the idea behind it but it wasnt worth the extra cost to me, but thats just my .02 cents.

As far as barrel accuracy I belive any barrel made by AA, Lijra,JP, or sold by PF will be off the shelf more consistenly accurate and more so if you hadload your own ammo.

Just my .02 cents, hope this helps sir.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                          Super Moderator
                          • Sep 2014

32.0 2530 (Notice the excursion and then velocity drop=I would not produce this load.)
                          32.3 2510

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                          X