• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jakal
    Warrior
    • May 2014

Indiana Hunters this might be it!

New House Bill, looks like it might be pushed thru this time!

""Come taste my Shillelagh you goat-eatin bastard!""
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

What are the main changes being proposed?
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Jakal
      Warrior
      • May 2014

Current Indiana Deer hunting firearms regs:

Legal Firearms

Shotguns, handguns, rifles with legal cartridges, muzzleloading long guns and muzzleloading handguns are legal during the firearms and special antlerless seasons. Only muzzleloading firearms are legal during the muzzleloader season.

Hunters may carry more than one type of legal firearm when hunting during the firearms and special antlerless seasons only. Shotguns must be 10-, 12-, 16-, 20- or 28-gauge or .410 bore loaded with slugs or saboted bullets. Rifled slug barrels are permitted. Combination rifle-shotguns are allowed.

Muzzleloading firearms must be .44 caliber or larger, loaded with a single bullet of at least .357 caliber. Saboted bullets are allowed, provided the bullet is .357 caliber or larger. A muzzleloading firearm must be capable of being loaded from only the muzzle. Multiple-barrel muzzleloading long guns are allowed.

Rifles with cartridges that fire a bullet of .357-inch diameter or larger, have a minimum case length of 1.16 inches, and have a maximum case length of 1.8 inches are legal to use only during the deer firearms and special antlerless seasons. Some cartridges legal for deer hunting include the .357 Magnum, .38-.40 Winchester, .41 Magnum, .41 Special, .44 Magnum, .44 Special, .44-.40 Winchester, .45 Colt, .454 Casull, .458 SOCOM, .475 Linebaugh, .480 Ruger, .50 Action Express, .500 S&W, .460 Smith & Wesson, .450 Bushmaster, and .50 Beowulf. Full metal jacketed bullets are illegal.

Handguns, other than muzzleloading, must have a barrel at least 4 inches long and must fire a bullet of .243-inch diameter or larger. The handgun cartridge case, without the bullet, must be at least 1.16 inches long. Full metal-jacketed bullets are not permitted. The handgun must not be a rifle that has a barrel less than 18 inches or be designed or redesigned to be fired from the shoulder.

Handguns are not permitted on any military areas.

Some handgun cartridges that are legal for deer hunting include .357 Magnum, .41 Magnum, .44 Magnum, .44 Special, .45 Colt, .45 Long Colt, .45 Winchester Magnum, .35 Remington and .357 Herrett.

Some handgun cartridges that are illegal for deer hunting are .38 Special, .38 Smith and Wesson, .38 Colt New Police, .38/200, .38 Long Colt, .38 Super, .38 ACP, .38 Colt Auto, .45 ACP, .45 Automatic and .45 Auto Rim. All .25/.20, .32/.20 and .30 carbine ammunition is prohibited.

Muzzleloading handguns are allowed. The muzzleloading handgun must be single shot, .50 caliber or larger, loaded with bullets at least .44 caliber and have a barrel at least 12 inches long, measured from the base of the breech plug excluding tangs and other projections to the end of the barrel, including the muzzle crown.
      Last edited by Jakal; 03-04-2016, 01:02 AM.

Comment

• Jakal
        Warrior
        • May 2014

New House Bill verbiage

SECTION 1. IC 14-22-2-8 IS ADDED TO THE INDIANA CODE AS A NEWSECTION TO READ AS FOLLOWS [EFFECTIVE UPON

PASSAGE]:Sec. 8. (a) Before July 1, 2016, the director shall adopt rules under section 6 of this

chapter, including emergency rules adopted in the manner provided under IC 4-22-2-37.1, to establish a

deer hunting season during which hunters may use rifles on state owned hunting areas subject to the

following:
        (1) The rifle must have a barrel length of at least sixteen (16) inches.
        (2) The rifle must fire a cartridge that meets the following specifications:
        (A) The cartridge must fire a bullet of two hundred forty-three thousandths (.243) of an inch in

diameter or larger.
        (B) The cartridge must have a minimum case length of one and sixteen-hundredths (1.16) inches.
        (3) The rifle must meet any other requirements established by the department. However, the department

may not establish any other requirements pertaining to ammunition that may be used during the season

established under this section, including requirements concerning a minimum or maximum cartridge length

for ammunition.
        (4) The rifle must be equipped with a magazine that is incapable of holding more than ten (10)

cartridges.
        (5) The use of a rifle is permitted only on land located outside Marion County and south of any of the

following boundaries:
        (A) U.S. Highway 36 from the western border of Indiana to the western border of Marion County.
        (B) The southern border of Marion County.
        (C) U.S. Highway 40 from the eastern border of Marion County to the eastern border of Indiana.
        (b) The use of a full metal jacketed bullet to hunt deer is unlawful.
        (c) A rule adopted under subsection
        (a) may not authorize more than four (4) annual rifle seasons for hunting deer. The department shall

report on the impact of the hunting seasons authorized under this section to the governor and, in an

electronic format under IC 5-14-6, the general assembly before February 15, 2020.

(d) This section expires June 30, 2020.
        SECTION 2. IC 14-22-2-9 IS ADDED TO THE INDIANA CODE AS A NEWSECTION TO READ AS FOLLOWS [EFFECTIVE UPON

PASSAGE]:Sec. 9. (a) This section applies to a hunting season beginning after June 30, 2016.
        (b) Notwithstanding any rule prescribing the minimum length of a handgun cartridge case, a hunter may

use a handgun that fires a commercially available bullet of ten (10) millimeters in diameter to hunt

deer.
        (c) The use of a handgun described in subsection
        (b) to hunt deer is subject to the rules:
        (1) requiring that the handgun conform to the requirements of IC 35-47-1-6;
        (2) prescribing the minimum barrel length of the handgun;and
        (3) prohibiting the use of full metal jacketed bullets.
        (d) The director shall amend any rule necessary to comply with this section

Comment

• Jakal
          Warrior
          • May 2014

This has been a long time coming and someone is listening finally. Last year they tried to get the DNR to pass a similar measure, the DNR voted it down.

Now I am not acting like I know every caliber this would open but...
          in AR PISTOL (see current handgun regulations)
          The 300 AAC Blackout and the 6.5 Grendel are currently legal,

in AR Rifle, the 458 Socom, 450 Bushmaster and the 50 Beowulf are currently legal.

It looks like they are going to open up non-straightwalled rifle cartridges using bullets .243 or greater.
          Pending case sized as stated
          Mag cap of less than 10.
          Allow 10 mm handgun hunting

I'm not sure how may bolt action calibers this would open up but .243, .270, .30, etc

This would allow in AR RIFLE platform
          300 AAC Blackout and 6.5 Grendel among others, I guess. I'm sure other caliber aficionados will chime in.

The one sentence that bothers me is the """state owned hunting areas""". I really hope that in the boundaries layout, they actually include privately owned lands.

Now if we could just buy alcohol and vehicles on Sunday!!!!
          Last edited by Jakal; 03-04-2016, 01:33 AM.

Comment

• Singleshotsam
            Bloodstained
            • Jan 2016

I have hunted with a 35 rem and cut the brass to 1.78 the last few years, but would LOVE to use my 6.5s. I have lived in Indiana to long to ' count the chickens before they hatch' I belive it when I see it in black and white.

Comment

• Jakal
              Warrior
              • May 2014

The governor signed it into law today. The verbage has changed since the original post but the first link is still valid.

.243, .300, 30-30, 30-06, .308 cartridges only, that will get finalized later

Comment

• Beerswimmer
                Warrior
                • Dec 2015

Why are they so picky?
                UT ALII VIVANT !!!

Comment

• Heinz57grendel
                  Bloodstained
                  • Mar 2016

I am also from Indiana. I am pretty confused on the .300. No one seems to know is this just 300blk or all .300's. I read no rifles on state ground in the latest bill edit. I think you have posted the bill before changes were made.
                  Last edited by Heinz57grendel; 03-24-2016, 12:07 PM.

Comment

• HONDO
                    Bloodstained
                    • Jan 2015

Basically most 24 & 30 caliber cartridges meet the new regs. No .25, .26, .27, or .28 cal The new list is posted on dnr's website. It's cool, but could be better. 30 carbine and 300 rum are legal but no 6.5G. The list has obviously been assembled by those who know little about cartridges and their relative performance. The 30 carbine is anemic and the 300 rum is overkill IMO. Most deer are shot well within 150 yards here. At least we can use "real" rifles now even if limited to specific cartridges...
                    Galatians 2:20-21

Comment

• Dinny
                      Warrior
                      • Jun 2016

I look forward to using one of my 300 BLK rifles to hunt deer this year. I await the opportunity to use other calibers 4 years from now if the results are favorable.

Thanks, Dinny

Comment

Working...
                      X