• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ppierceall
    Unwashed
    • Feb 2016

Spotting Scope

I am looking for a Spotting Scope good to at least 1000 yards that won't break the bank?
  • Younger
    Warrior
    • Dec 2012

+1, I will be watching this thread.
    Last edited by Younger; 03-09-2016, 01:41 AM.

Comment

• NugginFutz
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2013

While not a traditional spotting scope, such as the likes of vortex or Nikon, etc., I dropped just a few shekels on a Celestron C90 Mak. It mounts to a standard tripod and doubles as a terrestrial/astronomical scope.

At $180 shipped (with prime), it is a very good scope. The included 24mm eyepiece makes 1000 yards look like back yards.

Mine came with a tripod and carry backpack. There's also another smaller, waterproof Celestron (C65 Mak) spotter for $125. Comes with a hard case.

If, at some point you want to step up and get a rubberized, bulletproof $700+ spotting scope, these won't have set you back that much, but do offer some high quality optics for the money.
      If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• LR1955
        Super Moderator
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by NugginFutz View Post
        While not a traditional spotting scope, such as the likes of vortex or Nikon, etc., I dropped just a few shekels on a Celestron C90 Mak. It mounts to a standard tripod and doubles as a terrestrial/astronomical scope.

At $180 shipped (with prime), it is a very good scope. The included 24mm eyepiece makes 1000 yards look like back yards.

Mine came with a tripod and carry backpack. There's also another smaller, waterproof Celestron (C65 Mak) spotter for $125. Comes with a hard case.

If, at some point you want to step up and get a rubberized, bulletproof $700+ spotting scope, these won't have set you back that much, but do offer some high quality optics for the money.
        NF:

Have seen these used at Boomershoot. Not positive why but they were extremely poor for reading bullet trace or mirage. Difficult to see splash as well. I think it is because of the huge objective lens which gathered too much light and or how the mirrors worked. I wish it would have worked well because of its price.

Finding a decent spotting scope for under $700.00 is a challenge. About the only things I have noted about them is to get an angled eyepiece, a fixed power of about 25, a long eye relief, a objective of 75mm or 80 mm, and that they need to be durable enough to take minor beatings and exposure to elements. Waterproofing the eyepiece with a see through scope cover and ensuring the gasket for the eyepiece seals the body is also a plus. Maybe a wide angle eyepiece too but not positive about that one.

Hay, if it doesn't do well for shooting then use it for star gazing. Can't lose!

LR55
        Last edited by LR1955; 03-09-2016, 10:01 PM.

Comment

• ppierceall
          Unwashed
          • Feb 2016

I ended up going with the Konus Spotting Scope after reading reviews and getting some other input. I will post here when I have used it. Thank you all

Comment

Working...
          X