New Announcements from the Big 3 meetings in Kansas!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Drifter View Post
    Wonder if all this has anything to do with Remington potentially planning the release of a 6.5 RAR cartridge in the not-so-distant future?

Supposedly, the RAR case (as used in Remington's .30 RAR) has ~25% more capacity versus the Grendel, while still working in the AR-15 platform.

Instead of other smallish niche companies like CSS, LBC, etc, AA could suddenly be faced with competing against Big Green. Kinda changes the playing field (if it were to happen).

Just speculating out loud...
    I would definitely be interested in that... Do you have somewhere I can read up on that, or got any other info on that??

Comment

Not sure why you would want an AR that can only fit 4 in the magazine?

Comment

The reason for the limited capacity (from an article that I read) was because it's going to be aimed specifically at hunters that are going after small/medium game. They mentioned that since the 30 cal is the most common bullet for deer, they wanted to put it in a military form weapon... I'm not impressed with it at all... Supposedly it's going to be under the performance of the 7.62x39 and it appears that the 6.5 Grendel will outperform it in almost every way... The 6.5 has absolutely no prob dropping a deer, and it's much more universal... Why would you go with an "Americanized" 7.62x39??? (would it be considered close to that anyway???)

Comment

The case is also too fat have anything but a small capacity magazine.

Comment

Well its about time some one got it SAMMIed or C.I.P.ed! I said it before the first one to SAMMI the 6.5 ect. would be the winner of the "Official Cartridge. And its a Grendel. The .264 LBC had the inside track as any one could make it, but it seems the 6.5 Grendel's release finally gave it that burst of speed to the finish line.

Since its officially SAMMI Certified now the gun makers, who are told by their lawyers what they can chamber and sell for "safety reasons", can start making them! I'd like to see a Mini-14 in 6.5 Grendel myself, I love them Garand style actions. When I read about Grendelizer's converted Mini -14, I was a bit jealous. Its now just up to the gun makers to chamber it in their platforms. Also its release and it being CERTIFIED SAMMI the ammo makers will start producing it more I bet.

The 6.5 Grendel is now an "Official SAMMI" cartridge and things can only get better for it from what see.

Comment

• Dogue
              Warrior
              • Mar 2011

Certainly good news...and about time. Looking forward to some plinking ammo, although I'll likely still reload most of my Grendel rounds.
              Μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

It is a relief to be able to discuss this in the open and also to tell the naysayers that their efforts were for no effect.

Comment

Originally posted by warped View Post
                  and also to tell the naysayers that their efforts were for no effect.
                  No matter what happens, some will never change their opinion. They have put so much effort into putting it down, that to admit they were wrong would be too much for their fragile egos.

Comment

• Drifter
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

As somewhat of a latecomer to the cartridge, I feel somewhat in the dark. What exactly have the so-called naysayers been saying?

The only negative comments I recall pertained to the licensing requirements, and how they limited growth of the cartridge. Now it appears that the requirements will be lifted, albeit somewhat late in the game. Otherwise, discussions seemed to be merely Ford-Chevy type stuff.

I guess only AA knows why now is the time. As for SAAMI, were not the requirements met months ago, and the holdup was the licensing since SAAMI will not approve a cartridge with such constraints / restrictions?

Please, by all means, set me straight if my impressions are flawed.
                    Drifter

Comment

Now that it is a SAMMI approved cartridge there is no longer a need for licensing, it is for all to use and enjoy.

The licensing served to keep the cartridge from being bastardized and never coming to a full acceptance and being standardized.

To me it was always the right choice, .308win almost went down the drain due to eleven different chambers IIRC.

Comment

Roger that. Bill Alexander did the right thing by keeping tight controls on the Grendel chamber so it wouldn't evolve into a gazillion different dimensions by everyone and their brother trying to capitalize on the popularity of a great cartridge. The naysayers have basically marginalized the Grendel in their minds, yet popularity continues to grow based on the merits of the capabilities shooters can enjoy in the AR15 platform, especially for hunting and exceptional accuracy out of a lightweight auto-loader.

Comment

• sneaky one
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

Well said LLRP... THE GRENDEL BEAST IS FINALLY LOOSE FROM IT'S CONFINES !!!!!! Look out for bullet developments. The train is in ultra push- turbo-deisel mode boys and girls. I torture my bud at federal all the time,,, when,,, when,,, = we'll maybe see it someday, is all I hear, maybe that could change sometime soon.? Anyway, awesome news, Hey better than no news. YES!!!!

Comment

So here comes the big question. Since the Grendel is now SAAMI ...... does that make the LBC and others wildcat chambers?? Since, anything in the AR 6.5 mm platform will need to be a Grendel to be accepted right??

Comment

Originally posted by mutt View Post
                              so here comes the big question. Since the grendel is now saami ...... Does that make the lbc and others wildcat chambers?? Since, anything in the ar 6.5 mm platform will need to be a grendel to be accepted right??
                              affirmative! well if it shares the same case it does, of course someone can spend a few hundred thousand dollars and see what it gets them.

Oh and they need sponsorship of the big 3 or more.

Comment

That's too damn funny. Kind of like karma ....... LOL

Comment

Working...
                                X