New Announcements from the Big 3 meetings in Kansas!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pinzgauer
    Warrior
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
    If it doesn't go bang, supposed accuracy gains from a .295" neck will be meaningless, unless malfunctions were the objective.
    There are enough people shooting great groups with .300 necks that any supposed accuracy advantage has largely been debunked. Now you hear "I don't want to overwork my brass" as the justification for the .295 neck. (Most recently on some of the anti AA forums)

My read is this whole subject is just a way for some mfg's to differentiate themselves as "better" or custom, etc.

Regarding SAAMI vs potential brass/chamber issues, recognize that even in well established rounds like .243 and 7mm08 that you still find factory bolt guns which do not like factory brass. IE: Shoulder radius issues, etc. We experienced this with an RP rifle even with RP 7mm08 unfired brass! Yet full length resize it and it's fine.

Comment

Originally posted by pinzgauer View Post
      There are enough people shooting great groups with .300 necks that any supposed accuracy advantage has largely been debunked. Now you hear "I don't want to overwork my brass" as the justification for the .295 neck. (Most recently on some of the anti AA forums)

My read is this whole subject is just a way for some mfg's to differentiate themselves as "better" or custom, etc.

Regarding SAAMI vs potential brass/chamber issues, recognize that even in well established rounds like .243 and 7mm08 that you still find factory bolt guns which do not like factory brass. IE: Shoulder radius issues, etc. We experienced this with an RP rifle even with RP 7mm08 unfired brass! Yet full length resize it and it's fine.
      Roger that. Any gunsmith or precision rifle builder who was chaffed about not getting a Grendel reamer and free license, but saw the advantages of the caliber in the AR15 frame and was getting tons of questions and demand from customers wouldn't want to be the guy telling customers "no, I can't do that" all the time, so a better "but still takes the same cartridges" chamber/reamer would be offered, and voila. I've read such claims where the guys say their pipes will shoot .2 MOA, while their AA barrels are garbage, without specifying if the AA barrel was an economy ER Shaw, or a cut-rifled stick at twice the price. The cut-rifled pipes with real Grendel chambers shoot like a bench gun, from what I've seen. I personally am convinced to stay away from the .295" chambers, unless I was chambering in a bolt gun for some reason.

Comment

• sneaky one
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

LRRP., awesome post as always,,, When I first looked in to the grendel cartridge, I noticed the 2 diff. chambers,, and thought - so what, on such a tiny difference. It really is not worth an argument, or even a chat. the .300 is mine , and I'm very happy with it. I hunt in a bad ass area, with some bad ass predators., I would prefer a chamber that will function fine- even if a bit of carbon is built up inside it. As to the brass being over worked... I am going to take up brass annealing 101 as per steel 89's advice. Awesome Big- Kid forum here , (( Our Gang - any one remember the lil rascals, from the old 1930's shows ? that's what we have here- LOL !, on this forum ! )) Enjoy this easy shooting round thats also -so easy to reload for., and quite the game getter !!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
          Roger that. Any gunsmith or precision rifle builder who was chaffed about not getting a Grendel reamer and free license, but saw the advantages of the caliber in the AR15 frame and was getting tons of questions and demand from customers wouldn't want to be the guy telling customers "no, I can't do that" all the time, so a better "but still takes the same cartridges" chamber/reamer would be offered, and voila. I've read such claims where the guys say their pipes will shoot .2 MOA, while their AA barrels are garbage, without specifying if the AA barrel was an economy ER Shaw, or a cut-rifled stick at twice the price. The cut-rifled pipes with real Grendel chambers shoot like a bench gun, from what I've seen. I personally am convinced to stay away from the .295" chambers, unless I was chambering in a bolt gun for some reason.
          Hey now! My economy AR Stoner (ER Shaw) 24" barrel with AA bolt shoots 5-shot groups into a half inch bullseye at 100 yards. Any better would require me to spend a lot more time behind the trigger. It's certainly not the barrel's fault. I did notice that Midway, where I bought it, now no longer refers to it as a 6.5 Grendel though. I suspect they got a nasty gram or something, which is too bad as that's the name for this caliber with the most recognition, as it should be. Tsk Tsk...

Hoot

Comment

• bwaites
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Hoot View Post
            Hey now! My economy AR Stoner (ER Shaw) 24" barrel with AA bolt shoots 5-shot groups into a half inch bullseye at 100 yards. Any better would require me to spend a lot more time behind the trigger. It's certainly not the barrel's fault. I did notice that Midway, where I bought it, now no longer refers to it as a 6.5 Grendel though. I suspect they got a nasty gram or something, which is too bad as that's the name for this caliber with the most recognition, as it should be. Tsk Tsk...

Hoot
            I doubt Midway got a note. My suspicion is that Satern/Liberty told them to stop using the Grendel name on their barrels, which probably also meant the Stoner line.

ER Shaw continues to make LOTS of Grendel barrels.

I think that the Stoner barrels were Liberty, not Shaw, barrels.

Comment

• stanc
              Banned
              • Apr 2011

Comment

Hey, wait a minute....all that Wolf ammo worked. LOL!

Great video, Stan. Nice to see Krebs' moving forward with the AK variant of the Grendel and I notice they mentioned there were "several" different Grendel rifles available to try out.

Hopefully, signs of good things to come.

Comment

• RangerRick

Originally posted by RStewart View Post
                  Hey, wait a minute....all that Wolf ammo worked. LOL!

Yeah, and without even denting the primers! In the intro that is. LOL.

RR

Comment

I wonder if more ammo mfrs will jump on board now...

Comment

• bwaites
                      • Mar 2011

They talk about the Grendel, but they show the .17 HMR being fired! LOL!!

Comment

• RangerRick

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
                        I'm just glad there were so many mentions of the Grendel in reference to both guns and ammo. It seems to be gaining in the marketplace.

RR

Comment

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
                          Red Jacket did the same thing with a Desert Eagle. Showed it, but shot a Baretta in the actual shooting.

Comment

Damn I just told the wife I was done with buying any guns for a while.

Comment

agreed, an AK is easier to maintain and more rugged than an AR. Should fill the nitch of "all around truck gun" better - if it is accurate. I'll probably get one if they become available.

Comment

• bwaites
                                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by hm2 clark View Post
                                agreed, an AK is easier to maintain and more rugged than an AR. Should fill the nitch of "all around truck gun" better - if it is accurate. I'll probably get one if they become available.
                                I hear this all the time, and I used to believe it, too. But....I can't think that I would/could abuse my rifles more, and yet, they always work.

I'm sure there are some weird situations where AK's work better, but in order to be more reliable, you have to loosen tolerances. When you loosen tolerances, you inevitably decrease accuracy. Inaccurate guns aren't interesting. I'm betting those AK's are close to as tight as any AR, and thus just as prone to the issues that would bother any AR.

Since Krebs seems to be about the only guy focusing on making AK's accurate, I'm betting his tricks are very similar to what match guys use to make their rifles more accurate.

As my dad taught me; Reliability, Accurate, Cheap; You can have any two of the three!

Comment

Working...
                                X