+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 93 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolf Steel Case

NRA Member, SAF Member Central Washington State

Wolf Steel Case

The day has come, Wolf Steel case will soon be available in stores everywhere!

Well, soon may be a relative term, but there are actually steel cases in the hands of those who need them to check loads and pressures.

David Fortier reports that Wolf has been at the Big 3 meetings he and other members of the press are presenting, and that they are strongly behind the Grendel and that the Barnaul factory is now producing the steel case ammunition.

Some early pictures:

Yep, Stan, that's FMJ, too!

It will be Berdan primed, so no reloading unless you are really determined, but steel case is NOT for reloading anyways. Its about very inexpensive! The rifle I always thought would make a perfect 3 gun rifle will now be usable as a 3 gun rifle for reasonable cost!

I'll try to get better pics soon!
    Last edited by bwaites; 10-06-2011 at 05:55 AM.
    Gun Confiscation WILL NOT Happen In My Lifetime. Pat Kelley 1998

NOR IN MINE!

LRRPF52
    We should be able to plink with the Grendel at close to 7.62x39 prices. This is a game-changer.

Quote Originally Posted by LRRPF52 View Post
    We should be able to plink with the Grendel at close to 7.62x39 prices. This is a game-changer.
    My thoughts exactly!

NOR IN MINE!

LRRPF52
    Popularity will surge even more now among the close-range paper-puncher crowd. This changes things for me and my builds now, as I can turn my 16" into a beater. I'm thinking of doing something really fun with it.

Alex4922
    Very very nice! What great news to wake up to. Now if I can just get over that high heel thing.

Alex

mseric
    Will this Berdan primed ammo cause the same FTF issues that have plagued the 7.62x39 AR's for years?

As I understand it, the FTF issues with 7.62x39 are related to the straight AR magwell and the curvature needed by the tapered 7.62 brass. That should not be a Grendel issue.

NOR IN MINE!

sgt_murf
    Quote Originally Posted by bwaites View Post

It will be Berdan primed, so no reloading unless you are really determined, but steel case is NOT for reloading anyways.
    However they could be resized once fired and used to
    1. to set your seating depth on your dies for differant loads.
    2. Setup your sizing dies to minimum sizing / measure your chamber
    3. provide action dummies.
    Hopefully the cost will Low as they might provide cheap fodder for razorback hunting if the terminal effect are there.

Sniper20
    One question that I have is how will this affect the durability of your firearm? I know that I have sent thousands of rounds down range from steel case in .223, but I stopped when I started to reload. It is so much cheaper, but the question I have is the steel lips on the case... Will it naw at your feed ramp? I know that it's highly discouraged in pistols due to that fact... I have never had the issue with my current setup in .223, but I sure don't want to have an issue with my grendel...

sgt_murf
    Quote Originally Posted by mseric View Post
    Will this Berdan primed ammo cause the same FTF issues that have plagued the 7.62x39 AR's for years?
    mseric
    In Bill's post is what has been explained to me as the issues of the 7.62X39 in the AR family coupled with the body taper which is greater on the AK than the 5.56 causes feed issues. But since the grendels taper is more in line with 5.56 there sould be no feed issues the priming method should not pose any issues. Many view the Berdan priming better as two flash holes are used and supposably provides better ignition? YMMV

+ Reply to Thread