X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rabiddawg
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2013

^ since you touched on it, any computer generated cheat sheet isn't worth the paper it is written on.

The only way to be sure is to shoot it yourself.
    Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• jdelong
      Warrior
      • Feb 2017

Understood and I will shoot it, just looking for a starting point to work from. I only get out beyond 300 every once in a while. I think if anyone can confirm the BC on it I have a good start. Wolf does not publish that information from what I can tell. Thanks!

Comment

• Sticks
        Chieftain
        • Dec 2016

How much accuracy are you getting from the Wolf? If you are shooting 1.5-2 MOA and only go out to 300...You are looking at up to a 6" group at 300.

As stated above, you can do a better job yourself by getting your drops at 100, 200, and 300. You can make a real good guess what the POA will be at the in between ranges.
        Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• jdelong
          Warrior
          • Feb 2017

yep, i can figure out 100-300 since i get there somewhat regularly. Was looking for a starting point for 400-800Y for when I do get to go there. I was thinking (maybe incorrectly) that I could build something close as a start then adjust for reality when I get there. I could never find anything for Wolf like Hornady offers (out to 500Y at least from what I see on their product pages). forgive my ignorance here, just getting into a little longer range shooting, previous experience is using a Nikon BDC scope with an 18" 5.56. They had a reticle-builder thingy (input bullet, distance, etc) that was pretty darn close out to 500Y. On my first MIL scope and trying to learn. Thanks!

Comment

• danm
            Warrior
            • Aug 2014

Originally posted by jdelong View Post
            yep, i can figure out 100-300 since i get there somewhat regularly. Was looking for a starting point for 400-800Y for when I do get to go there. I was thinking (maybe incorrectly) that I could build something close as a start then adjust for reality when I get there. I could never find anything for Wolf like Hornady offers (out to 500Y at least from what I see on their product pages). forgive my ignorance here, just getting into a little longer range shooting, previous experience is using a Nikon BDC scope with an 18" 5.56. They had a reticle-builder thingy (input bullet, distance, etc) that was pretty darn close out to 500Y. On my first MIL scope and trying to learn. Thanks!
            Question, why are you trying to get past 500 yrds with a plinking round? Blast away with wolf steel, I do, but you'll get WAY better results medium to long range with the available higher bc rounds.

Comment

• rabiddawg
              Chieftain
              • Feb 2013

Jdelong, I started out using hornady ammo and the chart for the round off their site. It was very close out to 500 but that was it. I had to walk(shoot) it out from there to 700. 700 is the longest distance I have access to.

Mark Twain

Comment

• jdelong
                Warrior
                • Feb 2017

Thanks all. I am using Hornady 123gr Amax as my other load (hunting). I was going to build out charts for wolf and Hornady out to 1k as a starting point to amend as I got out to shoot those distances. From what I found, Wolf has nothing and Hornady web site shows out to 500. I was going to see if I was the one guy that could consistently shoot 23 cent per round wolf Ammo out to 1k

Sounds like either not a great idea or insufficient data available. Thanks all for the feedback.

Comment

• rabiddawg
                  Chieftain
                  • Feb 2013

There are other calculators online that will go out past 500. It worth a Google

Mark Twain

Comment

• jdelong
                    Warrior
                    • Feb 2017

yep, been googling. they all require the BC for the projectile. I saw .400 somewhere, but not sure if that can be confirmed.

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
                      Chieftain
                      • May 2012

Thanks all. I am using Hornady 123gr Amax as my other load (hunting). I was going to build out charts for wolf and Hornady out to 1k as a starting point to amend as I got out to shoot those distances. From what I found, Wolf has nothing and Hornady web site shows out to 500. I was going to see if I was the one guy that could consistently shoot 23 cent per round wolf Ammo out to 1k

Sounds like either not a great idea or insufficient data available. Thanks all for the feedback.
                      the unknown BC is not going to be what holds your 1k shooting back when it comes to the wolf steel case.... its blasting ammo not particularly known for tight groups, but if you have a few known distances from which you can measure your drop from zero at say 100 you can SWAG the bc by plugging numbers into the calculator until the table matches your drop based on know distances an chronographed velocity .400 is probably a good guessing point based on shape and weight of bullet and try it at 1000
                      Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• pajasonc
                        Warrior
                        • Dec 2016

My experience with the wolf in a howa mini was its 3" ammo at 100 for a 5 shot group. If you pick and choose your 3 inch group there are occasions where I was able to get some pretty tight 3 shot groups. Seems like most of the time It would shoot 2 near the same hole and the third would open up the group to the 2" range. On the five round groups I would end up with 3 right next to each other and one or two flyers. not bad for 23 cent ammo. Seems pretty similar to the 7.62x39 and wolf ammo they sell. Fine for plinking, shtf etc etc I am sure you could ring a big gong at 500 most of the time.

Comment

• ahillock
                          Warrior
                          • Jan 2016

Wolf 100 gr steel case has been 1.5-2 MOA for me out of a 16" AR.

Comment

• pajasonc
                            Warrior
                            • Dec 2016

Originally posted by ahillock View Post
                            Wolf 100 gr steel case has been 1.5-2 MOA for me out of a 16" AR.
                            3 or 5 shot groups

Comment

• ahillock
                              Warrior
                              • Jan 2016

Originally posted by pajasonc View Post
                              3 or 5 shot groups
                              5 shot groups.

yep, been googling. they all require the BC for the projectile. I saw .400 somewhere, but not sure if that can be confirmed.
                              From what I have read and been told, the BC of the Wolf steel case is ~.400 +/-. Sounds about right.

Comment

• jdelong
                                Warrior
                                • Feb 2017

Originally posted by ahillock View Post
                                5 shot groups.

From what I have read and been told, the BC of the Wolf steel case is ~.400 +/-. Sounds about right.
                                Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X