• Jun 2011

yesssssssssss............

Comment

• txgunner00
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by supertex14 View Post
      howdy, txgunner00, i live in houston
      I grew up in Tomball. In the Austin area now.
      NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

• Dogue
        Warrior
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by longdayjake View Post
        Who here wants to bet me that we won't see this ammo for two more years?
        I'll take the over on that bet...
        Μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

• burnsome
          Warrior
          • Jun 2011

any updates?

my trigger finger is itchy....

Comment

• Comment

• Variable
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

The bullets in the picture are actually stand in projectiles that were tossed in there for the photos. The real russki bullet hadn't been settled on yet to my knowledge. Also AFAIK the end result projectile will be a steel jacketed copper washed FMJ of approximately 110 grains. It should be sans lacquer, and unfortunately for many public range users, it won't pass the magnet test. The cases will be lacquered steel with berdan priming.

David Fortier (Gunwritr) has experimented for fun in the past by converting berdan primed steel 7.62x39 cases into center punched grendel cases that would accept boxer primers. The pocket size is a bit off, but he glued them in. I doubt anyone would go through the trouble as a matter of course, but it is still cool to know that functional ammunition could be scraped together under austere conditions if truly necessary.LOL

David: If you happen to read this---- You scored major cool dude points for doing that experiment, but if you want a forever lock on that category you need to get the next step underway---- You need to take the original 7.62 projectiles and swage them down to 6.5 and reload them into your grendelized AK cases...
              Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
              We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• Glued in primers?? Cool you call it?? It sounds more like a good way to win the Darwin Award??

There are many thing, while can be done, should never be done..

flk k

Comment

• Originally posted by fkleinbu View Post
                  Glued in primers?? Cool you call it?? It sounds more like a good way to win the Darwin Award??

flk k
                  Im sure he did it for s*&%# and giggles, but yea, id rather roll my own. Or buy the 123 amax at 18 a box. I hadnt originally planned on high volume grendeling but the longer i wait and the more pictures of groups and load development I see, well, u know!

Comment

• Variable
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by fkleinbu View Post
                    Glued in primers?? Cool you call it?? It sounds more like a good way to win the Darwin Award??

flk k
                    Yep, I called it exactly that: pretty cool. You'd need to read the whole write up posting he did on Arfcom about it. I wouldn't have feared any darwin awards from it, but that's just me. We have already established that you and I will vary on opinion from time to time (nothing smarmy or smart alec-wise implied). If you read about his process you might not feel that strongly against it. FWIW-- I got the impression it was more of a thought exercise to see just what could be accomplished if someone were truly in a pinch ammo wise. To each their own.
                    Last edited by Variable; 05-05-2012, 05:33 AM.

Comment

• Variable
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

Ahhh... Here we go: *Berdan primed steel case 7.62x39 to 6.5mm Grendel, SUCCESS!!!! NOW WITH PICS

It's in the archives, so you'll have to be member to see it, but it was pretty neat IMO.
                      Last edited by Variable; 05-05-2012, 06:14 AM.

Comment

• Variable, we do have differing opinions but that is probably good for a list.. How boring would it be if all members were in lock step..

Anyway, I read the archive but still feel it was a dumb idea - something dreamed up after several adult beverages.. I just hope someone with less capabilities or perhaps attention to detail than David, attempts it and we end up with one less list member..

flk k

Comment

• The glued primer discussion context seems more realistic when centered on SHTF scenarios than on ordinary reloading in today's world.

I have seen crazier ideas floated in some of the ultimate SHTF threads in other fora -- for example black-powder, improvised primers, etc.

Some of them aren't as crazy as they might seem -- there were stories of cross-bows used to shoot at low-flying aircraft in Vietnam.

So, I for one would look first at the context of the discussion, then the feasibility of an idea when faced with posited technical limitations, and last on whether it would be "safe" by the standards of the context.

Comment

• Variable
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

He actually went kinda high tech for the experiment in my book. He didn't even push the berdan primer out with water pressure, pound the face of the primer cup flat again with a flattened nail face and hammer, and then recharge it with strike anywhere match heads.LOL It has been done before...

If you were on the plains of Africa with a Grendel and no ammo you could make a small guerrilla cottage industry out of converting 7.62x39 ammo into expedient Grendel fodder. You'd need a small field conversion kit, but it wouldn't take a whole lot.

For my purposes it isn't worth fooling with berdan primed brass (let alone steel cases) for normal use, but I certainly wouldn't call it dumb either. Schumer hitting the fan/TEOTWAWKI seems at least moderately more likely by the moment these days... I like to learn about any possible field expedient available. I didn't buy fire extinguishers because I expected my house to catch on fire. I bought them because it was remotely possible and the consequences were dire enough to warrant an extra measure of effort on my part. If something should ever become unavailable, I'd like knowing a possible work around.
                            Last edited by Variable; 05-05-2012, 10:33 PM.

Comment

• Variable
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by fkleinbu View Post
                              Variable, we do have differing opinions but that is probably good for a list.. How boring would it be if all members were in lock step..

Anyway, I read the archive but still feel it was a dumb idea - something dreamed up after several adult beverages.. I just hope someone with less capabilities or perhaps attention to detail than David, attempts it and we end up with one less list member..

flk k
                              Regarding someone getting hurt by copying what David did: That is certainly a possibility if they are reckless, but the same can be said for any firearms endeavor IMO. If you are careless in normal reloading you can still get hurt just as bad as if you were copying David. A kaboom is pretty much a kaboom.

Comment

• pinzgauer
                                Warrior
                                • Mar 2011

You hear similar talk about loose primer pockets. No one is advocating this, but a loose primer is very different than a pierced primer. Even pierced primers while not good for the rifle should not be a kaboom. Or even dangerous if wearing proper eyewear, etc.

It's not like a loose primer can escape past the bolt. Or even much gas. The pressure has dropped before the bolt unlocks. You can worry about flame cutting the bolt over time, but not a kaboom.

Primer cups expand under pressure. And move forward under the firing pin, and back against the bolt under pressure in some cases. (Or deform against the bolt). In fact, if there is not enough pressure in the case the primer can appear oddly flat, do to the primer cup blowing backwards.

So the glue in the test was just to hold the primer in place until fired. But had virtually no role once the firing pin struck, as I understand it.

Not a glued primer expert or advocate though, so feel free to educate me on the kaboom risk in the test if I missed something.

Comment

Working...
                                X