Wolf Steel Case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah, I agree. People can imitate all kinds of things, just watch youtube. The teotwawki stuff is best discussed by adults over adult beverages after all hurty stuff is put away. That being said I love experimenting! I know that most of my hearing loss is from hitting rolls of caps with a hammer as a kid and yeah, the Glock 20 works just fine with .40 S&W ammo....OOOOPS.

Alex

Comment

• txgunner00
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Alex4922 View Post
      Yeah, I agree. People can imitate all kinds of things, just watch youtube. The teotwawki stuff is best discussed by adults over adult beverages after all hurty stuff is put away. That being said I love experimenting! I know that most of my hearing loss is from hitting rolls of caps with a hammer as a kid and yeah, the Glock 20 works just fine with .40 S&W ammo....OOOOPS.

Alex
      As does 9mm in a Glock 31(357 sig), well it exits the muzzle anyway. The cases come out looking a little funny
      NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

• As far as kabooms go, I don't remember saying anything about kabooms, at least that I remember.. One could make a reasonable argument though, since the modified cases allow much more of the blast of the primer into the case, igniting the powder faster, internal case pressures could exceed limits.. But of this I have no specific data, and thus didn't go into this..

But what I do know is under normal conditions when you install a primer into the case, it has tension holding the walls of the primer to the case..

Putting a boxer primer into a case originally designed for a Berdan primer there is no force holding the walls of the primer cup against the case, and thus the need for the glue.. Because of this the primer cup can collapsed, allowing gases to vent around it, into the receiver, and into the face of the shooter..

I have seen this occur with someone who reload a case, once too many.. And that was loading the round with the correct primer, and the primer was not loose enough to need glue to hold it in.. It was with a 1911, and it blew the grips to shreds, and cut the hapless shooter's hands.. And that was with a pistol cartridge which has far less pressure than rifle cases.. Also his face was not within inches of the action when the primer let go..

I am reminded of a joke I once heard of a man who jumped off of a 10 story building.. As he passed the 2nd floor on his way to the sidewalk below him, someone asked him how it was going.. He replied "pretty good so far".. The point being, you may get away with doing something unsafe for a while.. But the law of averages will catch up to you..

Personally, I believe this subject has been cover more than enough on list, and would rather not reply further to it..

Flk k

Comment

• I have seen this occur with someone who reload a case, once too many.. And that was loading the round with the correct primer, and the primer was not loose enough to need glue to hold it in.. It was with a 1911, and it blew the grips to shreds, and cut the hapless shooter's hands.. And that was with a pistol cartridge which has far less pressure than rifle cases.. Also his face was not within inches of the action when the primer let go..
          I'm going to believe there was something else amiss here! Other than a case that was reloaded multiple times, (ie) Wrong powder, barrel obstruction. I have and reload for my Glock 20 (10mm), which produces WAAAAAAAAY more pressure than a .45ACP. I have a batch of brass with over 10 reloadings on them and on occasion I get a ruptured case, which only; am I made aware of while picking up my brass. I have reloaded well over 5000rnds for this pistol, if some thing awful were to happen because of loading brass a multitude of times with loosening primer pockets, I am absolutely positive that I would have experienced it by now.
          Last edited by Guest; 05-07-2012, 08:10 PM.

Comment

• Variable
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Bwild97 View Post
            I'm going to believe there was something else amiss here! Other than a case that was reloaded multiple times, (ie) Wrong powder, barrel obstruction. I have and reload for my Glock 20 (10mm), which produces WAAAAAAAAY more pressure than a .45ACP. I have a batch of brass with over 10 reloadings on them and on occasion I get a ruptured case, which only; am I made aware of while picking up my brass. I have reloaded well over 5000rnds for this pistol, if some thing awful were to happen because of loading brass a multitude of times with loosening primer pockets, I am absolutely positive that I would have experienced it by now.
            Agreed. Additionally... In an AR (among others) the primers become partially unseated during firing anyway. Upon ignition they set back out of the pocket against the bolt face and then get reseated as the pressure rises in the case.
            Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
            We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• TheOTHERmaninblack
              Warrior
              • Apr 2011

Back to the Wolf 6.5 Grendel steel... We still on for June-ish? I'd like to have a couple of cases before election season heats up and we see another great ammo famine.

Comment

• bwaites
                • Mar 2011

From Bill Alexander:

"Ticking along nicely. We are due the next 10,000 rounds for testing and lab work and then if we can get through the export jungle in a timely manner and get the test rifles into Russia, we are expecting to attend sign off in September.

The Russians are taking this work very seriously, more than one would expect for a simple contract build. We have already been involved in a lot of analysis work in respect to weapon durability. That is in addition to the regular testing for feed and function."

This is turning into a bigger deal than expected.

Comment

• RangerRick

Originally posted by txgunner00 View Post
                  As does 9mm in a Glock 31(357 sig), well it exits the muzzle anyway. The cases come out looking a little funny
                  On the other hand if you put a 9mm in a 40 cal Glock the whole round flies out of the barrel when the slide goes forward. Don't ask how I know this...

No, alcohol was not involved....

RR
                  Last edited by Guest; 05-10-2012, 03:13 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by bwaites View Post
                    From Bill Alexander:

"Ticking along nicely. We are due the next 10,000 rounds for testing and lab work and then if we can get through the export jungle in a timely manner and get the test rifles into Russia, we are expecting to attend sign off in September.

The Russians are taking this work very seriously, more than one would expect for a simple contract build. We have already been involved in a lot of analysis work in respect to weapon durability. That is in addition to the regular testing for feed and function."

This is turning into a bigger deal than expected.
                    "Let the yankee/angliski do as much of the R&D for us, so we don't have to do it for ourselves."

I think it has caught their attention as a promising military cartridge. There's a lot of grumbling about 5.45 from within their professional military ranks, even though I think it's a great cartridge.

Comment

• Variable
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                      "Let the yankee/angliski do as much of the R&D for us, so we don't have to do it for ourselves."

I think it has caught their attention as a promising military cartridge. There's a lot of grumbling about 5.45 from within their professional military ranks, even though I think it's a great cartridge.
                      Exactly what I have been thinking all along. I'd crap if the Grendel became the next Russian service cartridge instead of American as some of us hoped. That would really make things weird...

Comment

• Dogue
                        Warrior
                        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by RangerRick View Post
                        On the other hand if you put a 9mm in a 40 cal Glock the whole round flies out of the barrel when the slide goes forward. Don't ask how I know this...

No, alcohol was not involved....

RR
                        Not always...and don't ask me how I know.
                        Μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

• Variable
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

Yeah, sometimes the extractor on a Glock 22 holds the 9mm round close enough to get a launch. The brass looks funky.

When my Agency transitioned from the Sig 226 to the Glock 22 and 23 it happened more than a couple times at the range. Nobody got hurt, so it just turned out kind of entertaining instead. I got lucky and that one never happened to me (yet... Crosses fingers...).LOL

Comment

• Originally posted by Variable View Post
                            Exactly what I have been thinking all along. I'd crap if the Grendel became the next Russian service cartridge instead of American as some of us hoped. That would really make things weird...
                            That would be weird.. I wonder what the ramification of that would be.. Would it make importing the ammo more difficult?? flk k

Comment

• Variable
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by fkleinbu View Post
                              That would be weird.. I wonder what the ramification of that would be.. Would it make importing the ammo more difficult?? flk k
                              I don't know either, but it could potentially be bad for us (in my paranoid mind at least). I've been semi worried about it from the start. The Grendel cartridge would be a true no-brainer for the Russians to pick up. Develop a Grendel sized 7n6 or 7n10 bullet and they'd be off to the races with it. Maybe they have a better idea in mind for something even newer (projectile wise), but regardless it would end up being pretty potent medicine I'd wager.

Basically the Americans (and one crucial Brit! ) would have done the lion's share of development work for them and then they'd just walk off with the prize. We probably wouldn't see any ammo from them in that scenario since they'd be busy building their own stash.LOL The pro militarization faction of the Grendel crowd would be vindicated, but by the wrong side. I would definitely rather see the Grendel rounds outbound than inbound!

Comment

• The need for the West to be "better than" all others might get us an interesting military cartridge, even if it's a 6.25 (.25") inch version of the Grendel.

I would, however, bet that it will be even more different than that but the performance will be at least as good!

Remember that the 5.56 in essence fathered the 5.45X39 so there wouldn't be much surprise me if the West reciprocates.

More business for the creative minds!

Comment

Working...
                                X