Page 14 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolf Steel Case

bdevr
    Quick question: There's already plenty of 5.56 steel cased on the market and for whatever thier reason (no need to argue why) most people don't want to feed it through an AR platform. Why would this be any different?

fkleinbu
    Probably for fear of wear on the chamber.. flk k

ricsmall
    most people I know dont want to run it during rapid fire drills as they say the lacquer on the cases starts to come off under heat and gum up the chamber and what not. They are talking about rapid fire of 200-300 rounds.

I think these cases have a different coating and not the thick lacquer that a lot of the steel cased stuff has so that shouldn't be an issue.

When .223 ammo was going for well over $.40/rd the steel cased stuff was very popular but once prices got closer most people went back to brass. Since all Grendel ammo is expensive I think a cheap (fun shooting and plinking) ammo will sell like crack. I don't shoot steel cased in any of my other guns but if the price is right on this ammo I'll be in, no doubt.

LRRPF52
    Quote Originally Posted by bdevr View Post
    Quick question: There's already plenty of 5.56 steel cased on the market and for whatever thier reason (no need to argue why) most people don't want to feed it through an AR platform. Why would this be any different?
    There are some AR's that run fine on Wolf, and others that don't. Bravo Company did one article on their "Filthy 14", that ran over 31,000 rounds of Wolf, with two rudimentary cleanings involving taking a toothbrush to the BCG, bore-snaking it, and adding more Slip2000 EWL. BCM has very high quality AR15's with 4150 CMV, chrome-lined barrels with 5.56 NATO chambers, HPT/MPI bolts, M16 carriers, proper extractor springs/buffers, and other commonly-overlooked small parts that the after-market drops the ball on frequently.

Since the SAAMI Grendel chamber uses a .300" neck, the steel case should run well through SAAMI chambers.

I have a BFH Bravo Company barrel, and two Bushmaster barrels that won't feed steel case ammo reliably. I have four stag arm barrels that work perfectly. I have friends with the exact same barrels and they run great." Go figure". I think I would try them in your rifle before I made a big purchase.

bdevr
    Fair enough, I appreciate the answers. I'll stick with brass for the ability to reload it. In the mean time I'll keep trying to spread the word and get more people on board with the hope that greater demand will equal greater & cheaper supply...

Warrior
    I have heard about this mythical steel cased ammo since joining the old board. It seems the only times they make announcements is on April 30. Coincidence, I think not!

hellcat370
    well Wolf isn't known for being speedy when it comes to getting Grendel products to market, but they do happen..... eventually.

DIESEL758
    Well just got off the phone with wolf!!!!! The steel case rounds are in quality control (final stage) and should be available for December release. They told me that it was moving along faster than last reported with AA doing all the testing. I HOPE THIS REALLY HAPPENS SOON. My wife is getting tired of spending so much money on ammo, especially when I have 5 different cartridges I have to buy for.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by DIESEL758 View Post
    Well just got off the phone with wolf!!!!! The steel case rounds are in quality control (final stage) and should be available for December release. They told me that it was moving along faster than last reported with AA doing all the testing. I HOPE THIS REALLY HAPPENS SOON. My wife is getting tired of spending so much money on ammo, especially when I have 5 different cartridges I have to buy for.
    D758:

December 2015 sounds about right given the track record of Wolf when it comes to Grendel ammo. If it is in testing stage, then the first lot hasn't been produced. December 2015 is a good estimate.

LR1955

DIESEL758
    I sure hope not 2015, the guy on the phone sure did sound releaved about finally getting this out. They must be getting a crap load of calls about this.

Chieftain
    honestly at this point i doubt its coming out at any point in the foreseeable future at least i am not holding my breath for it and am just going to chuck it up to vaporware until i see a tangible product the only time i would use it is if i was shooting some sort of competition where i couldn't pick up my brass which i will probably just use my 556 for given that i reload i dont see the wolf steel being any cheaper than what i can reload for given that the lapua cases are exceeding 15 reloads that amortized the brass cost to 4-5 cents per loading which is miniscule based on that my reloads run about $0.45 cents a piece so unless the wolf steel is going to come in under 10 bucks a box its kind of a moot point to dream of it
    Last edited by mongoosesnipe; 10-26-2012 at 02:06 AM.

fkleinbu
    Quote Originally Posted by mongoosesnipe View Post
    [snip]
    ...so unless the wolf steel is going to come in under 10 bucks a box its kind of a moot point to dream of it
    I couldn't agree more.. flk k

Pancho Villa
    I hope I'm not making this joke just for myself.

honestly at this point i doubt its coming out at any point in the foreseeable future at least I am not holding my breath for it and am just going to chuck it up to vaporware until i see a tangible product the only time i would use it is if i was shooting some sort of competition where i couldn't pick up my brass which i will probably just use my 556 for given that i reload i dont see the wolf steel being any cheaper than what i can reload for given that the lapua cases are exceeding 15 reloads that amortized the brass cost to 4-5 cents per loading which is miniscule based on that my reloads run about $0.45 cents a piece so unless the wolf steel is going to come in under 10 bucks a box its kind of a moot point to dream of it
    Hey, how did that lone upper case "I" sneak into an otherwise masterful attempt at a run-on sentence with no capitalization or punctuation?
    If at first you don't succeed, give up.
    Anything that can't be done easily, probably isn't worth doing.

NRA Member, SAF Member Central Washington State
    Quote Originally Posted by fkleinbu View Post
    I couldn't agree more.. flk k
    Expected retail price is the same as Wolf Steel Case 5.56/7.62 x 39, or less than $8/20.
    ”You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Chieftain
    Quote Originally Posted by stanc View Post
    Hey, how did that lone upper case "I" sneak into an otherwise masterful attempt at a run-on sentence with no capitalization or punctuation?
    honestly at this point i doubt its coming out at any point in the foreseeable future at least i am not holding my breath for it and am just going to chuck it up to vaporware until i see a tangible product the only time i would use it is if i was shooting some sort of competition where i couldn't pick up my brass which i will probably just use my 556 for given that i reload i dont see the wolf steel being any cheaper than what i can reload for given that the lapua cases are exceeding 15 reloads that amortized the brass cost to 4-5 cents per loading which is miniscule based on that my reloads run about $0.45 cents a piece so unless the wolf steel is going to come in under 10 bucks a box its kind of a moot point to dream of it
    fixed it thanks for catching that punctuation is for the weak

fixed it thanks for catching that punctuation is for the weak
    not to mention it makes typing a lot easier when you dont have to continually press the shift key
    If at first you don't succeed, give up.
    Anything that can't be done easily, probably isn't worth doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Pancho Villa View Post
    I hope I'm not making this joke just for myself.

Ohhh, somewere.... They may be out there.....