Wolf Steel Case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RangerRick

It might be a situation where everybody ends up using it like the 9mm parabellum in WWII.

If that were the case, when you run low on ammo and you let the enemy get close, ambush and kill him, you only have to take his ammo instead of his crappy weapon AND ammo so you can keep killing the SOB's.

That's an Infantryman's dream: Let the enemy carry your ammo to the battlefield for you. Of course, after you cluster bomb a pack of them you'll have to pick over the ammo because some of it won't be serviceable any more.

Also, the Russians know better now than to leave a weapon design's Intellectual Property unprotected by patent, etc. They aren't going to help client states build factories to churn out any new weapon they come out with like they did with the AK.

They may well be fighting some of their old client states or former Soviet Republics, like Chechnya, equipped with their old designs.

Also as LRRPF52 said about the grumbling about the 5.45 in Russia, there is grumbling about the 5.56 on our side. It's a great round, it just isn't optimal in the places we are likely to be fighting in the next 20 years. With the compromises of the new projectiles designed to defeat body armor it has lost some of the effectiveness it previously had on soft targets.

RR

Comment

• stanc
      Banned
      • Apr 2011

Originally posted by TheOTHERmaninblack View Post
      Back to the Wolf 6.5 Grendel steel... We still on for June-ish? I'd like to have a couple of cases before election season heats up and we see another great ammo famine.
      Better make other plans. Looks to me like maybe January-ish, if we're really lucky.

Comment

• The game-changer would be if the Russians focus on getting rid of the 7.62x54R for dismounts, replacing it with Grendelski in the TIGR and something to replace the PKM.

A lot of the bad rap that the 5.45x39 got was from the 7N6, which had issues in urban areas being dangerous for friendlies when it ricocheted. It was designed to be unstable, but these issues lead to the development of 7N10 as a result. This is what was related to me by very reliable sources in that region.

They have a crazy number of different calibers that they use, including 9x39 in the VAL, bottle-necked pistol cartridges for Specil Troops, a new high-power 9mm with dum-dum rounds, etc. Their guys still rock n' roll on auto with the AKS-74 from the hip, so they might as well keep 5.45 for service rifles.

Comment

• stanc
          Banned
          • Apr 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
          The game-changer would be if the Russians focus on getting rid of the 7.62x54R for dismounts, replacing it with Grendelski in the TIGR and something to replace the PKM.

Their guys still rock n' roll on auto with the AKS-74 from the hip, so they might as well keep 5.45 for service rifles.
          This video doesn't show hip shooting, but it does confirm their propensity for full-auto fire.

Comment

• hellcat370

Is there any possiblity that Wolf will offer a hollow piont in steel case, similiar to thier 7.62 and 5.56 steel case offerings? Be great for deer or hogs under 2-300 yds.

Comment

• Variable
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

I'd say it's definitely possible, but we'll have to actually receive some FMJs first.LOL

I wouldn't count on hunting grade expansion from a steel jacketed russian HP though. They don't have a very good track record.

Unless they added extra special effort, I'd expect performance more like this:
              Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
              We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• txgunner00
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Personally I would like to see a SPS first. I've had mixed results with Russian hollow points on game. They don't always open up. It's all wishful thinking at this point.
                NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

• txgunner00
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Variable View Post
                  I'd say it's definitely possible, but we'll have to actually receive some FMJs first.LOL

I wouldn't count on hunting grade expansion from a steel jacketed russian HP though. They don't have a very good track record.

Unless they added extra special effort, I'd expect performance more like this:
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmITz...e_gdata_player
                  Interesting results. Pretty much sums up what I've seen. When I did that helo hog hunt a few months back my BIL was using Silver Bear SP (.223) primarily but also had some HP in his bag. After he did a mag change we noticed the rounds were just zipping through and he was having to put 6-10 rounds in them to bring them down. He had inadvertently grabbed a mag loaded with HPs. He switched back to the SPs and went back to putting them down.

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

Comment

• hellcat370

I'm not sure water is a great bullet tester for expansion. My cousin and I have both used Silver Bear 62gr. hollow pionts on deer with excellent results. Haven't lost a deer yet to a decent hit with one. Can't say I've used the 7.62x39 on anything other than stray cats, but it did the job.

Comment

• From what I understand, water tends to be somewhat more harsh on bullets than does ballistic gelatin. This would tell us that a bullet that doesn't open well in water is not likely to do any better in gel at the same velocity.

Neither does a good job of modeling tough skin or bones which will cause some bullets to open sooner.

So the best that can be said is that the two media are good for relative comparisons.

Comment

• Dogue
                        Warrior
                        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by hellcat370 View Post
                        I'm not sure water is a great bullet tester for expansion. My cousin and I have both used Silver Bear 62gr. hollow pionts on deer with excellent results. Haven't lost a deer yet to a decent hit with one. Can't say I've used the 7.62x39 on anything other than stray cats, but it did the job.
                        Seriously?
                        Μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

• hellcat370

yea lol. Didn't have a 5 rd mag for my WASR, so I couldn't hunt deer with it. Cat was just unlucky, emptied the shotgun and grabbed the WASR since it was charged up.

Comment

• Using the same CZ rifle on hogs first with 7.62x39 using Hollow poinst; they run off and you find them dead the next day. Using FMJ they run off and you find them dead a couple hundred yard away. Rebarrel to 6.5 Grendel; useing most any hunting bullet 100gr or more they fall down. Using 117gr Grendel hollow points the hogs fall down. When I used Barnes solids in a grendel the hogs fell down. So the Wolf Steel Case if it exist and is accurate might work.

Comment

• hellcat370

I curious as to why your having better luck with the fmj's than the hp's. Have you recovered any of the bullets and made a comparison? Maybe the fmj's yaw quicker?

Comment

• txgunner00
                                Chieftain
                                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by hellcat370 View Post
                                I curious as to why your having better luck with the fmj's than the hp's. Have you recovered any of the bullets and made a comparison? Maybe the fmj's yaw quicker?
                                Most likely the case. Something to do with the where the center of gravity is located in the bullet's axis and how quickly they destabilize. But I'm no ballistics expert...

Comment

Working...
                                X